Who has read "Set The Boy Free" yet? What does it say about Moz?

Interesting to read Johnny Rogan's assessment which largely gels with my own.

I've read this amazon review which largely echoes my view (sadly) apart from the part about the audiobook because I haven't heard it.

"As a massive Smiths fan (my fave band of all time) I was really looking forward to this book. But what a let-down!
As everyone else has said, he's obviously a decent bloke (deeply in love with his wife Angie, deeply in love with guitars, never has a bad word to say about anyone) but I agree with some of the more negative reviews: The Smiths story is over far too quickly (with little insight) and then the second half of the book just becomes a chronology of events, written in a very simple, unexciting style so that most of the chapters go something like this:
"I then got a call from [insert name of alternative act here] who asked me if I would play on some of their songs. I really liked their music and thought it sounded great and asked Angie what she thought and she said it sounded great too and that I should do it. And so I decided to do it. I didn't know what I was going to do but when we played together everything just seemed to click straight away and it sounded great. We ended up making an album together and touring the world which I loved and which was great. We became great mates but when the tour finished I realised that I needed to do something else but I didn't know what. I then got a call from..." etc. etc.
Perhaps that's a little unfair but you get the general idea. It must be an amazing lifestyle but you wouldn't necessarily know it. In one sentence he mentions talking to Elliott Smith and that's that. Tell us what he was like!!
I'm reading Peter Hook's book now which is everything this isn't: full of great anecdotes, bitchy and best of all funny.
It feels wrong to criticise someone who has played such an important part in my life but I can't help feeling very disappointed, especially as in interviews to promote the book he has said things like "I finally realised it was time to put my side of the story across" and "It was time to set the record straight" etc.
Clearly a top bloke (and the chief musician in the greatest band of all time!) but sadly (and surprisingly) that doesn't make for a "great" read.
He's humble, realises how lucky he is and appreciates his fans. And perhaps that's the problem: He's just too nice to write a warts 'n all, down and dirty, rock 'n roll autobiography. After all, you wouldn't catch Motley Crue writing a chapter about running in their memoirs.

(Oh and beware: I got the audiobook - read by Johnny himself in a style you could say is laid-back and cool but which at times seems so unenthusiastic it sounds as if he could be reading his gas bill.)"

Have just finished reading it - I enjoyed it - but then I wasn't waiting for some huge scandalous expose, or pages of bitching about Morrissey (he says almost nothing negative at all, and is full of praise for what they achieved - even the relationship breakdown just seems to be a moment of 'weirdness'). The story of the Smiths has already been picked over hundreds of times in numerous biographies and interviews over the years. Anyone expecting some juicy secret that Marr has kept hidden all by himself for decades (OMG! Moz and Marr were secret lovers! etc) must be living in a fantasy world, and if you're the sort of hardcore fan who has already read dozens of interviews with Marr over the years then you've probably heard most of this before.

That said, it is nice to read about things from Johnny's point of view, and he goes into FAR more detail on the Smiths than Morrissey did in his autobiography. Here, at least you will get stories of how the songs were written and recorded.

The best book I've ever read on The Smiths.

The story is told succinctly, just over 160 pages from formation to break-up, however Johnny displays an easy going style in his narrative which I found both absorbing and informative. There is enough detail without it becoming overbearing .
I have actually learned new facts about the band through reading this book, and you'd think this would not be possible after the many pages dedicated to the band in the last 30 years.
What shines through the most for me is the burning ambition and desire Johnny had from such an early age to form a band, but not any old band, he was determined to form the best band in the world. Johnny was convinced he would achieve this and would stop at nothing until it did happen. I find this attribute particularly admirable and inspiring.
What also shines through is Johnny's incredible talent as a musician and songwriter, he really is a one of a kind in that sense.

Pages 266 to 272 in the last chapter on The Smiths evoke great sadness, almost as much today as when the band originally split up.

Some of the differences with Morrissey's book are interesting. It's quite amusing how Johnny writes about inviting Bryan Ferry to one of the Smiths recording sessions to meet everyone, and how all the rest of the Smiths were really pleased for Johnny that he was working with him - then compare that to Moz's account, where he thinks he caught them in the act of trying to replace him.

I've read this amazon review which largely echoes my view (sadly) apart from the part about the audiobook because I haven't heard it.

"As a massive Smiths fan (my fave band of all time) I was really looking forward to this book. But what a let-down!
As everyone else has said, he's obviously a decent bloke (deeply in love with his wife Angie, deeply in love with guitars, never has a bad word to say about anyone) but I agree with some of the more negative reviews: The Smiths story is over far too quickly (with little insight) and then the second half of the book just becomes a chronology of events, written in a very simple, unexciting style so that most of the chapters go something like this:
"I then got a call from [insert name of alternative act here] who asked me if I would play on some of their songs. I really liked their music and thought it sounded great and asked Angie what she thought and she said it sounded great too and that I should do it. And so I decided to do it. I didn't know what I was going to do but when we played together everything just seemed to click straight away and it sounded great. We ended up making an album together and touring the world which I loved and which was great. We became great mates but when the tour finished I realised that I needed to do something else but I didn't know what. I then got a call from..." etc. etc.
Perhaps that's a little unfair but you get the general idea. It must be an amazing lifestyle but you wouldn't necessarily know it. In one sentence he mentions talking to Elliott Smith and that's that. Tell us what he was like!!
I'm reading Peter Hook's book now which is everything this isn't: full of great anecdotes, bitchy and best of all funny.
It feels wrong to criticise someone who has played such an important part in my life but I can't help feeling very disappointed, especially as in interviews to promote the book he has said things like "I finally realised it was time to put my side of the story across" and "It was time to set the record straight" etc.
Clearly a top bloke (and the chief musician in the greatest band of all time!) but sadly (and surprisingly) that doesn't make for a "great" read.
He's humble, realises how lucky he is and appreciates his fans. And perhaps that's the problem: He's just too nice to write a warts 'n all, down and dirty, rock 'n roll autobiography. After all, you wouldn't catch Motley Crue writing a chapter about running in their memoirs.

(Oh and beware: I got the audiobook - read by Johnny himself in a style you could say is laid-back and cool but which at times seems so unenthusiastic it sounds as if he could be reading his gas bill.)"

Oh that's too bad to hear. I preordered the audiobook which will be available for me in 3 days on a free credit. I picked it over Peter Hook's book in fact! So this review pretty much confirms I made the wrong choice which I was getting the feeling of leading up to the release. Oh well, at least I didn't pay anything for it.

I'm reading it, it's great. No ghost writer, full of interesting music and a very uplifting view of everything. The complementary view of the great Morrissey's Autobiography.

:guitar:deja vu from under the floorboards :guitar:

I have yet to read Johnny's book but appreciate all the reviews/spoilers. One thing I would love to hear is Johnny's take on is how he likes Morrissey's current band's reworking of Smiths songs. Or which of Moz's solo tracks he likes the best. I know it's kinda taboo it seems for them to aknowledge one another's solo work...but I'm not posting this to be a troll, but genuinely would be curious to know.

I have yet to read Johnny's book but appreciate all the reviews/spoilers. One thing I would love to hear is Johnny's take on is how he likes Morrissey's current band's reworking of Smiths songs. Or which of Moz's solo tracks he likes the best. I know it's kinda taboo it seems for them to aknowledge one another's solo work...but I'm not posting this to be a troll, but genuinely would be curious to know.

You won't find an answer to these questions in the book.

"When Morrissey took the stand, it was uncomfortable from the word go. He argued with the judge, who was surly and pompous, and at one point Morrissey lost his temper and walked off the stand in frustration. Mike's barrister made sure he planted a few bombs for the court and the media by putting it to Morrissey that he regarded his bandmates as 'replaceable as parts on a lawnmower'. I watched the reporters as they devoured that phrase and scribbled it down, and a couple of them exited to phone their editor - job done, now everyone had 'the angle'. The phrase became assimilated into the newspaper reports and then the proceedings as if it had been said my Morrissey, which it hadn’t: Mike's barrister had planted it. He knew exactly what he was doing and it worked. The judge fell for it, and the press fell for it, then the public fell for it."

"When the judge ruled in Mike's favour, he made a point of sticking it to me and particularly to Morrissey, who he really didn't like, making remarks about him that were personal and fairly shocking."

This isn't in the book. Johnny is quoted recently as saying he doesn't understand the criticism of Morrissey's reworking of Smiths songs, he said it would be adsurb for him (Johnny) to get on stage and try to sound like Morrissey when he does Smiths songs so why should Morrissey's band try and impersonate him.

Something like that.

The date is right there on the page, Surface, and it sure as hell isn't 1984.

Care to look again and give another answer? Click on it. LASID is a sterling Smiths / Morrissey website, you can trust it.

*salacious wriggle*

Then I'd like to know what people think of this vs. Johnny Marr saying he couldn't speak to the press in 1987, it's very queer!

The date is right there on the page, Surface, and it sure as hell isn't 1984.

Care to look again and give another answer? Click on it. LASID is a sterling Smiths / Morrissey website, you can trust it.

*salacious wriggle*

Then I'd like to know what people think of this vs. Johnny Marr saying he couldn't speak to the press in 1987, it's very queer!

Yes no problem

Looks like an extract from NME in 1987

Surface, I'll save you time.

You're defending a liar, so I hope you see family members die in front of you.

- Sami

Back
Top Bottom