Who has met morrissey?

I have. Please see the details in the link below. Cheers.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/24/1736248

i saw this last year mozmal, and reading it again once again now had me just as moved and awestruck.

i read the annotations you helpfully provided to accompany moz's postcards/letter, but didn't see what prompted him to mention his birthdate on the second postcard...had you asked him anything about it or did he just unexpectedly say that?

also, the dates present in his letters are all shown american style (mm/dd) -- four of dates total -- one date ("August 24th") shown in the first letter and three being in the last postcard. sorry if this question is naive or ignorant, but do you think that was an intentional "americanization" on his part due to heavy influence by american pop stars/music at the time? [i reviewed the discussion about your submission at the time on the main page, but didn't see anything about the date style that he used]

i saw this last year mozmal, and reading it again once again now had me just as moved and awestruck.

i read the annotations you helpfully provided to accompany moz's postcards/letter, but didn't see what prompted him to mention his birthdate on the second postcard...had you asked him anything about it or did he just unexpectedly say that?

also, the dates present in his letters are all shown american style (mm/dd) -- four of dates total -- one date ("August 24th") shown in the first letter and three being in the last postcard. sorry if this question is naive or ignorant, but do you think that was an intentional "americanization" on his part due to heavy influence by american pop stars/music at the time? [i reviewed the discussion about your submission at the time on the main page, but didn't see anything about the date style that he used]

You're absolutely right on the subject of his birthday - I did indeed ask him when it was. I don't think the dates were 'Americanised', I think most people would say July 12th rather than 12 July, but then again, I could be wrong. Thanks so much for your nice reply and a merry Christmas to you. Cheers.

You're absolutely right on the subject of his birthday - I did indeed ask him when it was. I don't think the dates were 'Americanised', I think most people would say July 12th rather than 12 July, but then again, I could be wrong. Thanks so much for your nice reply and a merry Christmas to you. Cheers.

likewise to you!
and just another thought on the dates --- since i don't have much experience with hearing ukers/europeans/etc. naturally speak or informally write dates in that way --- would you not typically say like: "...on the 12th of july..." since dates usually get written dd/mm?

likewise to you!
and just another thought on the dates --- since i don't have much experience with hearing ukers/europeans/etc. naturally speak or informally write dates in that way --- would you not typically say like: "...on the 12th of july..." since dates usually get written dd/mm?

I'm Australian and we use the european way of writing dates. I'd never write 12/16/07, for example. For us, it is 16/12/07. But when it comes to writing out dates as you have outlined above, I'd use either - whatever I felt like at the time - eg, 16th of December, or, December 16th.

:)

Wow. Morrissey gets so much affection from the people he meets. I have not met Morrissey yet. I wonder what her face looks like.

edit: oh wait that's morrisseychic. I still can't get a clear shot from the other photo. Nevermind.

For those who don't know...that is "Jake" in the background with the white denim jacket on. He looks like he's giving you the hairy eyeball, morrisseychic! Jake was with Moz a lot in and around 1994.

I swear I thought it was Lance Armstrong at first glance. Seems a little funny to me. Ought to get himself checked out.

Last edited:
I have....twice! Both times @ his former residence in Hollywood. Once w/Chris from the old "Ambitious-Outsiders" site, and once w/Palare(Abrahan). Both times, we were there all of about 5-10 minutes dropping off gifts for him, and he showed up. We weren't stalking him, sleeping on his porch or anything, just there for a few minutes, and he came out(first time) and drove up(second time). Even remembered me the second time: "You're that BIG JEFF guy! How are you?", to which I immediately almost crapped my pants. I was nervous and overwhelmed(we both were), but he was extremely nice, and thanked us repeatedly for coming by. A sweetheart of a guy IMHO. He even told us to to "stay and talk to him" when we said "We're taking up too much of your time". I hugged him, asked if I could bring a letter up that I had written to him, but forgot in the truck(the first time), and he said "of course you can".

All 3 of us(Abrahan, Chris, and Myself) have spoken about it on here repeatedly, and given pictures.

What's weird is...a few days later, a girl(here) met him @ Amoeba Records in L.A., and asked him if "he had met/seen anyone important lately"? & mentioned our story about meeting him, and he said something to the effect of "Oh yes, they're very nice guys, it was by chance". A few months later, my friend Tom met him, mentioned that he knew me, and Morrissey nodded and said "I know him, yes".

You can see pics of the second meeting/encounter here:

http://home.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user (in my blog section)

Last edited:
I found this comment left on part one of the "Importance of Morrissey" on youtube and I had to share:

"Morrissey's fans scare the living shit out of me"

haha..I didn't want to start a new thread, but I thought it might fit in here :)

Why am I watching the importance of Morrissey for probably the 10th time this year at 5 am? I don't know...too many redbulls I guess...

Why am I watching the importance of Morrissey for probably the 10th time this year at 5 am? I don't know...too many redbulls I guess...

I share your passions, I often watch it repeatedly during the unsociable hours

I have....twice! Both times @ his former residence in Hollywood. Once w/Chris from the old "Ambitious-Outsiders" site, and once w/Palare(Abrahan). Both times, we were there all of about 5-10 minutes dropping off gifts for him, and he showed up. We weren't stalking him, sleeping on his porch or anything, just there for a few minutes, and he came out(first time) and drove up(second time). Even remembered me the second time: "You're that BIG JEFF guy! How are you?", to which I immediately almost crapped my pants. I was nervous and overwhelmed(we both were), but he was extremely nice, and thanked us repeatedly for coming by. A sweetheart of a guy IMHO. He even told us to to "stay and talk to him" when we said "We're taking up too much of your time". I hugged him, asked if I could bring a letter up that I had written to him, but forgot in the truck(the first time), and he said "of course you can".

All 3 of us(Abrahan, Chris, and Myself) have spoken about it on here repeatedly, and given pictures.

What's weird is...a few days later, a girl(here) met him @ Amoeba Records in L.A., and asked him if "he had met/seen anyone important lately"? & mentioned our story about meeting him, and he said something to the effect of "Oh yes, they're very nice guys, it was by chance". A few months later, my friend Tom met him, mentioned that he knew me, and Morrissey nodded and said "I know him, yes".

You can see pics of the second meeting/encounter here:

http://home.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user (in my blog section)

this is so sweet. he has a good memory, you were so lucky. :)

This probably doesn’t count, but here goes anyway…

I stood right next to him as we were both going into a club (The Roxy) here in Los Angeles back in 2004. As I stood right next to him I simply COULD NOT believe my own eyes, I was in complete shock and amazement!! Anyway, I had access to the tiny VIP section that night which is where Moz was hanging out too. I had so many different scenarios running through my mind. So what did I end up doing? Nothing much really. I wrote "Thank You" on the back of one of my business cards, walked over, handed him the card and simply walked away without saying a single word – perhaps he thought I was mute :eek:

I decided that as an adoring fan, the biggest "gift" I could give to him was to the gift of privacy, so I just left him alone to enjoy an evening with his mates. :confused: Pretty lame of me, huh? In retrospect, I probably could have at least said “Hello” or something. :eek:

its funny... i just told a new co-worker this story the other day.

I decided that as an adoring fan, the biggest "gift" I could give to him was to the gift of privacy, so I just left him alone to enjoy an evening with his mates. :confused: Pretty lame of me, huh? In retrospect, I probably could have at least said “Hello” or something. :eek:

I think would have probably remembered an odd act like that, i bet he cherishes that business card! :)

I haven't. But my English teacher at school Mr Treacey knew him. He (Mr Treacey) was from Stretford too (I would assume)

In my lunchbreak I had purchased Morrissey's new single, Sing Your Life, and was using the cassette box (yes cassette single!!!!) as a ruler when Mr Treacey said "thats that Morrissey isn't it?"

Me: Um yeh. (Got all flustered)

Treacey: I knew him

Me: Really?

T: Yeh, he used to go to the shop by me.

Me: When?

T: Oh before he became famous.

Have to say in cold blood it sounds like a load of balls but the tone of his voice was true. And not attempting to be impressionable at all.
Funny thing was Mr Treacey had a very soft Mancunian accent too. And we all thought he was a bit of a ponce to boot!

When you're 15/16 these things allegedly matter!!!

here is an interesting thread http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=70385&highlight=moz+fans What "Moz" thinks of fans
and i just copy one post of kudo in it in here cause i find it quite interesting he must have really liked you kudo...

so kudo what did you answer him? about your favourite, least fave song and if the smiths would make it in the US?

Re: What "Moz" thinks of fans
Here is was I can tell you from my own experience as a fan meeting Morrissey. Enough time has passed so I feel I share it.

I grew up in Los Angeles, and I first meet him at his hotel on the Meat is Murder tour. I was 16 he was in his early 20s. He was just sitting in the lobby of the hotel. He jokingly said he was waiting for other fans to stop by but I was the only one, so he would have to make due with me. He was very nice, he asked me tons of questions, what was my favorite Smiths song, what was my least favorite, do you think the Smiths will be big in America, etc. He signed everything I brought with me, about 6 records and a poster, tour book. Then after about 15 min. Someone came in a car to pick him up.

I met him 2 more times in L.A. in the 80s Similar experience, always asked lots of questions. I met him for a 4th time in 1991, when he was shooting the November Spawned a Monster video. He seemed to have loads of time then, he previously went shopping with other 2 fans, and when he got back he was signing tons of stuff for them and I joking asked if he wanted to go get something to eat. He said he had plans but asked if I wanted to meet him at a pub later that night, I said I couldn't because I was still 20yrs at the time. But I came back the next day, and again he seemed to have plenty of time on his hands and wanted to go to a punk collectible shop in Orange County and asked if I could take him. I said sure. This was probally the best meeting I have had with him. At this time he was still hung up on the Smiths breakup, and asked lots and lots of questions. I also noticed he was kinda cheap, very price sensitive. I asked him about it, and he said "I don't know how long this will last without Johnny"

After this is where I consider Morrissey died for me.

The next 4 times I met him was in Los Vegas, San Francisco and in 2x LA during the Kill Uncle tour.

In LA there were about 15 people waiting for him, he signed for them all, didn't talk much, posed for a few pictures and refused to sign any Smiths stuff.

In S.F. there were about 5 people waiting for him, he didn't sign for anyof them, and didn't say a peep to any of them, just got on the bus and headed for Sac.

In Vegas he signed for about 20 people, but again didn't say much didn't sign any Smiths stuff.

Back in L.A. I caught him at the Hotel alone, he signed a few Morrissey solo items for me, I already had all my Smiths stuff signed, but asked why he stopped signing, he said "don't ever mention the Smiths to me again"
He wasn't mean when he said it, but he was changed. This did not seem like the same man who asked me a million questions about the Smiths just a couple years ago.

Later on around the time Your Arsenal came out he was on MTV with his band and said that he liked his new band much better than the Smiths. With that my heart sunk. I was very bitter about it for awhile, I didn't bother going to the Your Arsenal Tour, I felt his new band where the "hired help" and substandard and thought that Morrissey was self-diluted at the time. I later warmed up.

Needless to say this was the last time I was able to meet Morrissey, security became tighter at shows, I tried a few times to meet him at his house in LA but I always seemed to miss him, I caught his gardner once, and he told me that he doesn't meet fans at the house anymore, I guess he was in a hurry one day and didn't have time for a fan at his house and the fan kicked his car and dented it. I saw the car the story was true. I tried a few more times with no luck. I also seen interviews where he complained about fans trying to meet him at his home. So I gave up on the idea.

Now he is living in Italy, it may actually be eaiser to meet him in LA, It's less intrusive meeting someone at a Hotel then at their home... He may be more receptive.

Hope you found it interesting...

Kumo

I wish I'd skipped to the bottom and read the "Kumo" part first....

Yeah. You gotta discount anything Kumo posted. I don't know whether he made it all up or just embellished some real encounters he had, but most of his "eyewitness" accounts were pretty suspect. An entertaining thread or two, though.

Yeah. You gotta discount anything Kumo posted. I don't know whether he made it all up or just embellished some real encounters he had, but most of his "eyewitness" accounts were pretty suspect. An entertaining thread or two, though.

I started getting suspicious when the pictures of the signed albums appeared

so you think kudo make that up..i dont know about him...but you did...so what makes you doubt the story...?

Tags
fans jake
Back
Top Bottom