Who do you think comes close to Moz in terms of making heartfelt, powerful music???

C

Clay

There are so few... but I think as far as bands go, Jawbreaker and Dillinger Four come the closest. Sure, neither of them sound like Moz/The Smiths, but they convey the same emotional intensity. Your opinion?

> Without a doubt...El Vez.

My God, I just about fell over laughing.

bands and singers

> There are so few... but I think as far as bands go, Jawbreaker¿ and Dillinger Four come the closest. Sure, neither of them sound¿ like Moz/The Smiths, but they convey the same emotional¿ intensity. Your opinion?

Never heard of Jawbreaker or Dillinger Four. Stupid me. So ignorant. So mainstream. I should kill myself.

For my money, the most emotional band around these days is Radiohead (yes them AGAIN - I think they're more like the Smiths than B&S are. B&S lack the Smiths' aggressive edge). Then there's Mercury Rev, I suppose. Echo's latest is dripping with emotion. REM can be quite emotional on occasion. Hefner! yeah. these are all bands I listed in the fave band thread. I'm trying to think of old stuff ... but I can't.

As for vocalists like Moz, I was thinking about this the other day. Just about NOBODY sings as beautifully and emotionally as he does. Vocally he reminds me of old singers like Roy Orbison and Elvis Presley. Which leads to comparisons with Chris Isaak - they've got that rockabilly thing in common as well. I dunno. Thom Yorke, of course. Most pop singers can't sing worth a damn and they sound bored, too.

I'll go along with these two, D4 especially. Ride sometimes comes a little close. The 1st Lungfish LP...
The Sundays
Billy Bragg
ANYTHING by Lifetime

Those are my votes. Oh yeah, good to see other Mozkids into hardcore!!!¿ There are so few... but I think as far as bands go, Jawbreaker¿ and Dillinger Four come the closest.

> Sure, neither of them sound¿ like Moz/The Smiths, but they convey the same emotional¿ intensity. Your opinion?

i wrote here sometimes about the portuguese group madredeus - it's intensely emotional, is marvelous.

the genius

Passion, tragedy, bathos, pathos, emotion, ecstasy, etc.

> There are so few... but I think as far as bands go, Jawbreaker¿ and Dillinger Four come the closest. Sure, neither of them sound¿ like Moz/The Smiths, but they convey the same emotional¿ intensity. Your opinion?

Maladjusted reminded me alot of the new Venga Boys single.

If you wanna party...
cher.jpg

Re: Passion, tragedy, bathos, pathos, emotion, ecstasy, etc.

yes of course joy division, ian curtis was the goddfather of heartfelt music. their the greatest band ever, it's very emotional to listen to. the music, the lyrics you either want to curlup and cry or shoutout loud! love tore us apart, ian. i miss you....

ian curtis...love tore us apart from you...

> yes of course joy division, ian curtis was the goddfather of¿ heartfelt music. their the greatest band ever, it's very¿ emotional to listen to. the music, the lyrics you either want to¿ curlup and cry or shoutout loud! love tore us apart, ian. i miss¿ you....

His passion makes him sexy...nevermind the hairline

> Dave Mathews Band

are you being serious? because i really feel that way...when dave sings i'm mesmerized, enchanted, and somewhat overpowered...i can get lost in his music...some of my friends think i'm a bit strange for listening to dmb (they think it's reserved for stoners and such...which i am not) but for me his music is emotional...and i'm gonna see him live in July...i hope i can keep my composure

Re: His passion makes him sexy...nevermind the hairline

> i can get lost in his music...some of my friends¿ think i'm a bit strange for listening to dmb (they think it's¿ reserved for stoners and such...which i am not) but for me his¿ music is emotional...and i'm gonna see him live in July...i hope¿ i can keep my composure

Ummm... your friends think that the Dave Matthews Band is reserved for stoners? Who are they, a bunch of nuns?

If you wanna party...
cher.jpg

Re: His passion makes him sexy...nevermind the hairline

> are you being serious? because i really feel that way...when¿ dave sings i'm mesmerized, enchanted, and somewhat¿ overpowered...i can get lost in his music...some of my friends¿ think i'm a bit strange for listening to dmb (they think it's¿ reserved for stoners and such...which i am not) but for me his¿ music is emotional...and i'm gonna see him live in July...i hope¿ i can keep my composure

exactly!...except all my friends like him...if you are seeing him in concert make sure you ahev good seats otherwise it will suck

Re: bands and singers

> Never heard of Jawbreaker or Dillinger Four. Stupid me. So¿ ignorant. So mainstream. I should kill myself.¿ For my money, the most emotional band around these days is¿ Radiohead (yes them AGAIN - I think they're more like the Smiths¿ than B&S are. B&S lack the Smiths' aggressive edge). Then¿ there's Mercury Rev, I suppose. Echo's latest is dripping with¿ emotion. REM can be quite emotional on occasion. Hefner! yeah.¿ these are all bands I listed in the fave band thread. I'm trying¿ to think of old stuff ... but I can't.¿ As for vocalists like Moz, I was thinking about this the other¿ day. Just about NOBODY sings as beautifully and emotionally as¿ he does. Vocally he reminds me of old singers like Roy Orbison¿ and Elvis Presley. Which leads to comparisons with Chris Isaak -¿ they've got that rockabilly thing in common as well. I dunno.¿ Thom Yorke, of course. Most pop singers can't sing worth a damn¿ and they sound bored, too.

RADIOHEAD and the late JEFF BUCKLEY.

Re: Joy Division?

I have an album from Joy Division, the music is good. The lyrics are good, but for some reason I can't get into his voice. Do you know of a particular album I should get? I have Permanent: Joy Division.

Re: Joy Division?

> I have an album from Joy Division, the music is good. The lyrics¿ are good, but for some reason I can't get into his voice. Do you¿ know of a particular album I should get? I have Permanent: Joy¿ Division.
His voice is unusual but I like it. For some people it takes a while to grow to enjoy it.
I think that you should buy Closer if you are thinking of getting another Joy Division cd.

Bands who have "touched" me..besides Morrissey

I deffinately think that Radiohead has come the closest as being heartfelt and powerful because Theres just something about his voice that cheers me up.. . ALso I will state the obvious Depeche mode, ELvis presely and NOt forget to mention Dave matthews Which i recently saw on Tv and Went and bought his cd that same day.. wierd.I dont think stoners listen to him unless i'm just one of the few who aren't...Either way again its something in his voice.

Back
Top Bottom