White Lies

modrevolve

Standard Model
Anyone know about these guys..Just read a bit about them and am intrigued..They hail from London and are getting comparisons to the Bunnymen. Playing a few US gigs in August.

Its times like this I wish I'd bring headphones to work.

I have seen them as the support act when dEUS played at the Scala in London last month.
They only played for half an hour and had some problems at the beginning of their set.
I think they were ok but nothing special.
Must say I hadn't heard anything by them before so they might be a grower.

I saw them on Jools Holland last week. I thought they were like a second rate Killers tribute band?

I'm resurrecting this thread to recommend White Lies' album, which was released today. It's very good, even though it does stray into sixth-form poetry from time to time.

Last edited:
I got their album yesterday, it's very strong. I got a real Joy Division vibe from a lot of it. I would reccommend.

their album is in full on their myspace at the moment if you wanted to listen.

Re: White Lies - To Lose My Life

http://www.zshare.net/download/5397430871185c0a/

Tracklist:

01 Death
02 To Lose My Life
03 A Place To Hide
04 Fifty On Our Foreheads
05 Unfinished Business
06 E.S.T.
07 From the Stars
08 Farewell to the Fairground
09 Nothing To Give
10 The Price of Love

Heard one of their songs at Smile on Saturday and was impressed. Will download.

I must admit I enjoyed the album, but agree with the above comment. Why are so many bands committed to sounding just like Joy Division these days? Excuse the 'These Days' pun

I must admit I enjoyed the album, but agree with the above comment. Why are so many bands committed to sounding just like Joy Division these days? Excuse the 'These Days' pun

To be honest, they're just Joy Division-lite.

I don't think they sound that much like Joy Division, though - to my mind they've got far more in common with The Teardrop Explodes, the Bunnymen, Tears For Fears (weirdly) and Interpol (but that's mainly the bass). I mean, they're clearly not The Greatest Band Ever, but I think they're far more interesting than most bands around at the moment. As ever, of course, this is just my opinion...

I think the album's a cracker. Yes, they are very young, somewhat posh, and have obviously got a fairly large record collection, but so what? Good tunes, and they sound nothing like the Libertines, which is always a bonus. Their videos are awful, though.

Still, they aren't (yet) fit to polish Interpol's shoes, and as for Joy Division, well, anyone would suffer by comparison there. They are infinitely better than Editors, though.

I listened to the first half of the album while on the train this morning. Gotta be honest, I'm really no feeling it. Kind of reminds me of a cross between the Killers and the Chamelons. I'll be curious to check them out live and see if my opinion changes at all.

Can someone kindly upload it again please?

I like the album. Yes, they do sound like some other bands, but it doesn't disturb me. I'm looking forward to catching them live somewhere. Better go and look up some tourdates!

Back
Top Bottom