• Total voters

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
A Friday poll question: you can pick one song to have a studio version of:

I'm Playing Easy to Get

or,

That's How People Grow Up

Which one do you choose and why?

"I'm Playing Easy To Get", because I've heard the live version of it and the live verison of THPGU and in my opinion "Easy" is a much better song.

"I'm Playing Easy To Get", because I've heard the live version of it and the live verison of THPGU and in my opinion "Easy" is a much better song.

Yes! Agreed. I'm shocked, SHOCKED that the poll is fifty/fifty. I'm Playing Easy To Get is a far better song, lyrically and musically. I would have loved to hear this included on the Greatest Hits, even if it is an older song.

It seems everyone is so nit-picky around here, how Morrissey gets away with the following astonishes me:

"I was driving my car,
I crashed and broke my spine,
So yes, there are things worse in life than
never being some-one's sweetie."

That's just not good. That isn't the Morrissey we know and love.

P.S. Please, someone who voted for That's How People Grow Up defend your song! :)

Last edited:
Isn't there already what is pretty much a studio version of Playing Easy To Get from one of the Janice Long sessions?...or does this not count as studio?

Love PTxx.

Isn't there already what is pretty much a studio version of Playing Easy To Get from one of the Janice Long sessions?...or does this not count as studio?

Love PTxx.

It is a good sounding version, but in my mind it would be similar to That's How People Grow Up on say Late Night with Letterman. Good sound quality, but not produced as it were.

It seems everyone is so nit-picky around here, how Morrissey gets away with the following astonishes me:

"I was driving my car,
I crashed and broke my spine,
So yes, there are things worse in life than
never being some-one's sweetie."

That's just not good. That isn't the Morrissey we know and love.

P.S. Please, someone who voted for That's How People Grow Up defend your song! :)

I really love that lyric! :o But overall I would want to hear a studio version of '...Paris' the most...I guess these things are just different personal taste!:D

I really love that lyric! :o But overall I would want to hear a studio version of '...Paris' the most...I guess these things are just different personal taste!:D

True, music is all subjective. For me, I find the lyric to be his worst since, perhaps Kill Uncle's "He's only got one knee..."

It is interesting that no one has defended That's How People Grow Up. Perhaps the song is indefensible? :) <- Vauxhall desperately trying to stir up some reaction!!!

Surprised to see "That's How People Grow Up" winning (so far)...
I'm among those who voted for THPGU. I hear a lot of criticism of this song and to be honest, I agree with most of that. It's not his best... But there is something about this song that I really like... maybe because I can relate to the lyrics so well.
So, yes, it's purely subjective... :)
I also quite like Kristeen Young contribution to the song, which is surprisingly for me as I normally can't stand her voice.:rolleyes:

Surprised to see "That's How People Grow Up" winning (so far)...
I'm among those who voted for THPGU. I hear a lot of criticism of this song and to be honest, I agree with most of that. It's not his best... But there is something about this song that I really like... maybe because I can relate to the lyrics so well.
So, yes, it's purely subjective... :)
I also quite like Kristeen Young contribution to the song, which is surprisingly for me as I normally can't stand her voice.:rolleyes:

Well, I appreciate someone stepping up to offer their opinion on the song. You're right of course, it is all subjective. I just think I'm Playing Easy to Get is a stronger strong lyrically as well as musically. I just don't see THPGU as rising to the level of a single. All You Need Is Me, seems by far the stronger tune. It has me wondering if Decca knows what they are doing marketing wise.

I voted I'm Just Playing Easy to get probably because I like it in the sense I like a lot of light songs. That being said I can see why THPGU has been selected. I think it has good progression to it and musically is more defined where All You Need is Me is the same style of rejected Green Day riffs that dotted the Ringleader sessions. Also I think the song has been pre-maturely judged without a really solid recorded version that can play around with production values

I voted I'm Just Playing Easy to get probably because I like it in the sense I like a lot of light songs. That being said I can see why THPGU has been selected. I think it has good progression to it and musically is more defined where All You Need is Me is the same style of rejected Green Day riffs that dotted the Ringleader sessions. Also I think the song has been pre-maturely judged without a really solid recorded version that can play around with production values

Fair enough, I just know "All You Need Is Me" rocks live. I hadn't heard it before the concert, and I was struck by its intensity.

Rejected Green Day riffs? Brutal dude!:)

Yeah I had to say it every ROTT rock song sounded in some form like some sort of Greenday riff :) I mean that didnt make them bad but I didnt make those tracks musically interesting. Same with AYNIM that being said lyrically most of those tracks were good. I really appreciated the great accordion melody on THPGU that people seem to ignore. Its a fresh sound that really produces some well I dont know umph if you will. That being said I also thought the same for the whole track of ODGWBF which was pretty sweet. All I can say is I will be uber angry if Paris doesnt make the next album or at least a b-side

I'm wondering if Mike Farrell, i.e. the horn section, won't be more involved in the next album. From the sound of Paris, and several songs off of ROTT, it seems Morrissey might be moving in that direction.

Yeah I had to say it every ROTT rock song sounded in some form like some sort of Greenday riff :) I mean that didnt make them bad but I didnt make those tracks musically interesting. Same with AYNIM that being said lyrically most of those tracks were good. I really appreciated the great accordion melody on THPGU that people seem to ignore. Its a fresh sound that really produces some well I dont know umph if you will. That being said I also thought the same for the whole track of ODGWBF which was pretty sweet. All I can say is I will be uber angry if Paris doesnt make the next album or at least a b-side

Trust me if Paris is an indication of the next album it will be stellar...I personally feel that Mike may be the best thing Mozz has going for him right now. Also I feel that Jerry Finn would use him a lot because his style works well with Finn production. I still dont get what happened to Visconti though. When do you all think we will start getting clear info on the next album besides a label and a vague date?

Trust me if Paris is an indication of the next album it will be stellar...I personally feel that Mike may be the best thing Mozz has going for him right now. Also I feel that Jerry Finn would use him a lot because his style works well with Finn production. I still dont get what happened to Visconti though. When do you all think we will start getting clear info on the next album besides a label and a vague date?

Perhaps the sales of the Greatest Hits? If it sells well and Morrissey is in the news, it might be a good time to release the next album. What did we hear initially, Fall 2008. Man, that seems a long ways off!

Eh I doubt the sales of greatest hits will impact release date because honestly the greatest hits is a promo for it. I know the songs are written and that likely includes b-sides and such. I really think if anything we might get the album a bit before september with those details being the case. That being said I'm not involved in the music industry and I could be wrong. I really cant see how Morrissey can fail on this album with the band he has now...as long as he doesnt pull a new Dear God Please Help Me. Though truth be told I really dont get the attack on his latest lyrics they are still top notch by rock standards so thats not really something to worry about. Again though can anyone fill me in on why no Visconti?

That's how people grow up, featuring Kristeen Young's intro.

In its current form, I'm Playing Easy to Get is just too vanilla for my liking. Not a bad track, but not an 8+ song either. If it makes it onto an album, I hope it would be a less bland reincarnation of the Janice Long version.

Of the new crop of songs, That's How People Grow Up would not be my first choice (Paris would), but I think the use of Kristeen's voice as musical instrument is very clever. It adds something to the song in a similar way to the lush outros of Camden and Christian Dior.

Moz and Kristeen have had a falling out, but I think he realises that the KY version is better than re-recording the song without her.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of what you write, I just find I'm Playing Easy to Get far better lyrically. It is what it is. It's not a rocker, but a solid mid tempo bit of misanthropy.

That's how people grow up, featuring Kristeen Young's intro.

In it's current form, I'm Playing Easy to Get is just too vanilla for my liking. Not a bad track, but not an 8+ song either. If it makes it onto an album, I hope it would be a less bland reincarnation of the Janice Long version.

Of the new crop of songs, That's How People Grow Up would not be my first choice (Paris would), but I think the use of Kristeen's voice as musical instrument is very clever. It adds something to the song in a similar way to the lush outros of Camden and Christian Dior.

Moz and Kristeen have had a falling out, but I think he realises that the KY version is better than re-recording the song without her.

What, exactly, don't you like about that lyric?

I find it lyrically awkward, not very poetic, and it seems to me we've been there before better with: ...people who break their necks and can't afford to get them fixed.

Hey, just one person's opinion, and I certainly understand how spoiled we all get by the lyrics Moz generates album after album. This one just makes me cringe.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom