Which Smiths song have you cried to ?

> I did to "I know its over", more than once. Never to a Morrissey
> (solo) song.

That's the exact song I was going to say. "I know it's over, though it never really began, but in my heart, it was so real."

That's just an amazing, heart felt line.

> I like Interlude bangin Em!! I'll have to arm wrestle you over a pint of
> stout at the S&G in October.. Are you planning on being there?

> 'Fatty' is an awful tune. Keighley girls though, they sound ok!

> Ruffian

Eh up, Ruff.

We'll have to agree to differ on that one. I will definitely try and make it, I don't venture over them hills anywhere near as much as I should-
Not sure I'll be able to persuade the missus though. She's scared of trains and she thinks I'm odd going to the Smiths' night in Leeds!

Most Keighley girls have a couple of kids by the time they're 16. They are friendly though.

B e' D

pic125647.jpg

> I've blubbed along to the following, usually because I couldn't have the
> one I wanted. If you associate songs with certain people this can turn on
> the waterworks too

> 'Please, Please, Please...'

Ahh yes, forgot about 'Please, Please, Please Let Me get what I want'... I remember this being described as the most emotive and perfect 2 minutes ever writtten. That description was very to the point though, and coined by none other than ex superstar comedian, Robert Newman.. about who I know someone very close that slept with him!

Ruffian

> hey Ruff, I've lived in london for a few years now, though I'm not from
> here.
Where you living Patrick?

> In what part of London were you born and raised, pal??

I've have dwelled in the London borough of Bexley for, pretty much, ever. I know the purists claim it's not London, and of course it's not by postcode. I've also lived in the Thatcher years in Plumstead SE18, if that's any cred. Anyway, Bexley is crushingly grey suburbia (hence admiration for the Members succinct 'Sound of the Suburbs'), but there are no joins between suburbia and London proper (whatever that means) nowadays. It's getting blurry, and harder by the month. In fact Bexleyheth Broadway is like the wild west with teens doing that British thing about drinking and fighting each other in ever increasing violent spirals all the time.. Socially, It's just one big melting pot of 'have' and 'have not' areas.

Anyway, Bexley village is where I am now (well, I'm in Knutsford RIGHT now). Bexley Village is cool, lotta bars, lotta atmosphere. And most importantly, a station to carry me away from blandness, to the vibrancy and the spiritual home of the Charing Cross Road most w/e's.. as you know (when I was down there, and I will return in Feb04).

So come out on the 17th to HMHB for an hour or so, and nature will make a man of you yet!
Ruffian

As for me: Some girls are bigger than others. Why? Sounds strange but I was moved so many times when I listened to it. The guitar riff. I don't know.

And Reel around the fountain. It's so emotional.

"there's a place in Hell" "Seasick yet still" "i know it's over" "End of the Family line" "Asleep"...

So you're not from London then, Ruff. That's fair enough. We can't choose where we're born and raised.
Anyway, I'm staying about a mile from Oxford Street in the paddington/bayswater area. A two minute walk would take me into Hyde Park if I liked the outdoors. Which I don't. Keep it tight, dark, and sweaty.
Anyway, if I'm here I might come up and meet all the rural-backwater-dwelling metalheads you're bringing up to The Big Smoke.
And be careful when you get here. Not everyone's as nice as me y'know.

> Most Keighley girls have a couple of kids by the time they're 16. They are
> friendly though.

Well.....obviously.

> So you're not from London then, Ruff. That's fair enough. We can't choose
> where we're born and raised.
Ermm.. It's where I live socially! Not a Bow bells man tho.

> Anyway, I'm staying about a mile from Oxford Street in the
> paddington/bayswater area. A two minute walk would take me into Hyde Park
> if I liked the outdoors. Which I don't. Keep it tight, dark, and sweaty.
No excuses not to come to the Charing Cross Road then..

> Anyway, if I'm here I might come up and meet all the
> rural-backwater-dwelling metalheads you're bringing up to The Big Smoke.
> And be careful when you get here. Not everyone's as nice as me y'know.
Sounds a bit patronisng! The Bermondsey boys will not like that! haha Millwall Trev and PD be most put out! Anyway, Big Smoke? It's more than that to us Mr.Mac, It's our universe (although Manc and Liverpool are pretty good too from recent socials). It's where we've always lived, hung out, and got drunk since the 80's from hammersmith to Bethnall Green.. And from Blackheath and everything between to Camden. It has a pulse. Outside of this social box, it's pretty crap really!

See you on the 17th.
Ruffian

PS, Arguably, the Metalheads are now Mods or suedheads, (apart from compiling top 10 album questions).

> Ermm.. It's where I live socially!

Quite a lot of other non-Londoners do that, Ruff. It's a wee bit like the b&t crowd in manhattan. Enjoy the city life , then off upstate or over to Joyzee to their nice villages.

Not a Bow bells man tho.
> No excuses not to come to the Charing Cross Road then..

Whit?? I'm a busy man, y'know.

> Sounds a bit patronisng! The Bermondsey boys will not like that! haha
> Millwall Trev and PD be most put out!

Ah, bermondsey. I've got three Millwall fans working for me at the moment. They fit the stereotype - shaved heads, 'no-one likes us, we don't care' written on their hardhats, and a vast selection of Millwall/England t-shirts.
They're about the same age as me and guess what? yup, when they were kids they had half-decent housing and ...wait for it.... indoor toilets!!! No really, they did!!
I didn't use one of those until I was nine.
Anyway, the question they ask me most often is 'how high?'
I got them to drop the 'sir' a couple of months back. Such nice boys.

Anyway, Big Smoke? It's more than
> that to us Mr.Mac, It's our universe (although Manc and Liverpool are
> pretty good too from recent socials).

It's where we've always lived, hung
> out, and got drunk since the 80's from hammersmith to Bethnall Green.. And
> from Blackheath and everything between to Camden.

Since the 80's? My work was done before that decade even started. We'd opened the doors to a bright new musical world for you pesky kids. And have I ever heard a word of thanks? Well, since you ask......

Tottenham to Tooting, Southall to Stratford - it's my manor!!

It has a pulse. Outside
> of this social box, it's pretty crap really!

In this part of the world, aye. Couldn't agree more.

> See you on the 17th.
> Ruffian

> PS, Arguably, the Metalheads are now Mods or suedheads, (apart from
> compiling top 10 album questions).

Sounds like they've done a bit of chopping and changing over the years, Ruff. All that would've been unnecessary if they were old enough for punk when it started. Still, they were young. Too young for punk admittedly. We cannae choose when we're born, Ruff. You just missed out by three or four crucial years.
Something similar happened with me and the Velvets. I had to catch up later, like your crowd did with punk. C'est la vie.

You take it easy now. And remember - mine's a guinness.
See ye later.

Re: Millwall, London, McCann and SEX

> Quite a lot of other non-Londoners do that, Ruff. It's a wee bit like the
> b&t crowd in manhattan. Enjoy the city life , then off upstate or over to
> Joyzee to their nice villages.

Haha.. that's pretty much it.. Although it's hardly rural upstate NY! Unfortunately (i'd love a house there I must say)

> Ah, bermondsey. I've got three Millwall fans working for me at the moment.
> They fit the stereotype - shaved heads, 'no-one likes us, we don't care'
> written on their hardhats, and a vast selection of Millwall/England
> t-shirts.

I know it exactly.. Tattoo's obligatory with a lion and a tribute to some Doris from peckham or something. Trev always says its not that bad and the press build it up.. This is before another mate said that he saw them doing coke in the sponsored matchday boxes on more than one occassion.. I bet that West Ham/Millwall game was friendly yesterday though!

> Since the 80's? My work was done before that decade even started. We'd
> opened the doors to a bright new musical world for you pesky kids. And
> have I ever heard a word of thanks? Well, since you ask......

very funny.. I suppsoe I do ow you a debt.. You saw through the prog rock of Chicago, and saw in Lydon's eyes a better day..

Did you see this compilation released a month ago..

SEX Too Fast to live too young to die.. I think it's compiled by Marco Pirroni and is athe songs which were on the SEx boutique juke box.. inspiring many individuals such as yourself no doubt.. what doya think of the track list?

1. Psychotic Reaction - The Count Five
2. Through My Eyes - The Creation
3. Ain't Got No Home - Clarence 'Frogman' Henry
4. Shake Some Action - Flamin' Groovies
5. You're Gonna Miss Me - The Spades
6. Liar Liar - The Castaways
7. In The Nighttime - The Strangeloves
8. Brand New Cadillac - Vince Taylor
9. You Better Move on - Arthur Alexander
10. Eighteen - Alice Cooper
11. Night Of The Vampire - The Moontrekkers
12. Monster In Black Tights - Screaming Lord Sutch And The Savages