Which of the five new 'Bonfire' songs do you prefer?

Which of the five new 'Bonfire' songs do you prefer?

• Total voters
There are more differences... " But now I’m too drained to protest " vs "I don't have any strength to protest"
or " I call on your mercy" vs " I turn for your mercy "
or " I’ll be nobody till the day I burn " vs " I'll burn 'till the day I burn."

The fact that absolute nonsense like Veronica is the most popular of these songs seems to suggest that Morrissey fans aren’t any more clever than casual top 40 listeners.

The fact that absolute nonsense like Veronica is the most popular of these songs seems to suggest that Morrissey fans aren’t any more clever than casual top 40 listeners.
It's a quite sad conclusion :straightface:

It's a quite sad conclusion :straightface:

But I don’t believe that the casual top 40 listener knows that they are listening to nonsense. Where as I think most M fans can recognize that it can come off as nonsensical with the lyrics not being entirely cohesive as other songs of his, and yet still enjoy it. Also this poll is asking for their preference. So it could be that they are voting by what is to them the most catchiest of the bunch, not the most meaningful or earth shattering song.

But I don’t believe that the casual top 40 listener knows that they are listening to nonsense. Where as I think most M fans can recognize that it can come off as nonsensical with the lyrics not being entirely cohesive as other songs of his, and yet still enjoy it. Also this poll is asking for their preference. So it could be that they are voting by what is to them the most catchiest of the bunch, not the most meaningful or earth shattering song.
I find it completely tuneless and not catchy in the slightest. Same with most of the pap that clog every meaningless pop chart and Spotify playlist today. Melody is a rarity these days.

I’m sad that Veronica is being caricatured as meaningless pap. It’s aiming to be frivolous and fruity, not facile. The lyrics are clearly an encoding of dizzy desire and have a justified place within Morrissey’s lyrical universe. Structurally, the song is also distinctive. Desire is hinted at, but never quite gripped and satisfied - this is paralleled in the sliding structural shifts undertaken within the song; there are many appealing nascent melodies hinted at here.

Two things can be true. Morrissey’s lyrics may have diminished somewhat. Yet they were always precociously strong. Comparisons between ‘then’ and ‘now’ are the real motivator of Morrissey becoming a pejoratively labelled ‘nostalgia act’. The current crop of lyrics derive strength from their uniqueness. ‘Sure enough, the telephone rings’ isn’t obvious poetry, but it’s an audaciously ironic line to graft onto a piece of punchy punk rock.

Veronica also leans into this idiosyncrasy, and that’s why it’s not throwaway. The frequently posited counter-factual that features here - ‘would a new artist be praised for these offerings?’ - completely misses the point. The only artist who does these songs - which have merit- with this signature style is Morrissey. I will never request that he cease his output, if only because it would mean the exhaustion of the style that he has summoned throughout his career, with varying degrees of success. The eccentric experiments remain, and we should be grateful - and blessed to one day debate the actual studio version of these new tracks.

If we're looking for a definition of catchy, melodic song , let's look for Suedhead rather than I am Veronica... It shows us how things gone bad , at least when it comes to catchy, singles, radio tracks etc...

If we're looking for a definition of catchy, melodic song , let's look for Suedhead rather than I am Veronica... It shows us how things gone bad , at least when it comes to catchy, singles, radio tracks etc...

good? bad? or just different? And is a comparison always necessary or can we just enjoy what’s offered?

I find it completely tuneless and not catchy in the slightest. Same with most of the pap that clog every meaningless pop chart and Spotify playlist today. Melody is a rarity these days.
Out of curiosity, which song(s) are catchy and melodic to you?

Out of curiosity, which song(s) are catchy and melodic to you?
First of the Gang, Never-Played Symphonies, Blue Dreamers Eyes, Cemetry Gates. To name but a few.

There are more differences... " But now I’m too drained to protest " vs "I don't have any strength to protest"
or " I call on your mercy" vs " I turn for your mercy "
or " I’ll be nobody till the day I burn " vs " I'll burn 'till the day I burn."
To me it sounds like "I'll be lonely 'till the day I burn"

It's funny , but since refreshing this thread, Veronica wins more votes and strengthens its lead 🙃

Back
Top Bottom