Which of the five new 'Bonfire' songs do you prefer?

Which of the five new 'Bonfire' songs do you prefer?

• Total voters
I have listened to Rebels several times tonight and it’s most definitely one of his very best songs of the last…18 years. Deserves its spot next to monumental cuts from the 2000’s and onwards. It’s the kind of Morrissey song that reminds me of why he’s so special to me. Why I keep coming back to him, even when he’s gotten on my nerves and made me want to slap him around and frantically tell him to get a grip. Rebels flaunts his kind, warm, gentle soul - and his flawless sense of vocal melody - and I wish he would tap in to this more often.
Very well said... and by the way, isn't it interesting that some of us can have some critical things to say about Morrissey now and then (e.g., song lyrics) and also gush about one of his new songs? That almost seems balanced.

happily imbalanced ….

I was living in England while Alma Matters was released and it indeed got some serious airplay. But the chart placing was low and the album was sabotaged by bad choices for followups.
Well it hit the top 20 for the first time since The More You Ignore Me. A three year gap. Doesn't sound like much but it felt like an eternity!

Last edited:
Very well said... and by the way, isn't it interesting that some of us can have some critical things to say about Morrissey now and then (e.g., song lyrics) and also gush about one of his new songs? That almost seems balanced.
Well, I agree with you, but some would say that there is no such thing as a balanced Morrissey fan. You’re either a rabid hater or a lover. I’m definitely a lover, but that doesn’t mean that I love everything he says and does without exception.

Voted for Bonfire and Veronica. Also like Rebels and Oblivion although the later’s chorus always puts me in mind of Jim Jim Falls.

Now we have six new Bonfire songs ;)

Has anyone transcribed the lyrics to KC?

Add 2 more unheard ones for consideration at some point if this is legit:
FWD.

KEROUAC'S CRACK - ths sixth song

After listening to the live version over 20 times , I like it more then Veronica , but less then the other songs 🤭

KEROUAC'S CRACK - ths sixth song

After listening to the live version over 20 times , I like it more then Veronica , but less then the other songs 🤭

I just can’t wait to hear the album as a whole, rather than songs apart from it.

Crack is addictive though 🙃

SE,TTR - embarrassing. It's like listening to your mad old uncle who never got married telling you the story of that time them blokes from the estate did his drive but made a right mess of it. In fact - a lyric based on that might be marginally more interesting.

I understand that Telephone is a flippant, thin track, but I don’t see it as a serious insight into Moz’s opinion. It’s tongue in cheek - but still arguable whether it’s funny or not.

I do hope that the studio version has some bite to it, and that it’s penultimate position on the track list makes eventual sense.

I don’t mind a fizzy throwback to the irreverence of the Southpaw era. Doubt it will be a highlight for most listeners.

There are hooks and hooks and hooks but the quest of more lyrical substance remains.

I think Rebel is great but for me so far the best is Oblivion. Having just lost my Dad after his 7 years in a nursing home, he scrapes open every wound left on my soul from that experience. No one could write that without having gone through something similar. It is cathartic and heartbreaking at the same time. He gets it and I feel understood.

I am curious how the appearance of the Saint in the Stained Glass window changes the results of voting :unsure:

I’m curious about the lyric change

“I turn to your mercy” changed to “You were made to be prayed to”
The verses are switched around the first time he played it as well. I think “you were made to be prayed to” will be on the studio version.

Back
Top Bottom