Which of the five new 'Bonfire' songs do you prefer?

Which of the five new 'Bonfire' songs do you prefer?

• Total voters
The amount of praise it received in that interview with Sam is perverse. So is the fact that it’s gonna be the lead single. AAAnd the fact that it’s taken the lead in this poll.

Moz hasn’t released a truly great lead single since 2006, in my opinion. Hardly even a decent one.

The amount of praise it received in that interview with Sam is perverse. So is the fact that it’s gonna be the lead single. AAAnd the fact that it’s taken the lead in this poll.

Moz hasn’t released a truly great lead single since 2006, in my opinion. Hardly even a decent one.

We haven’t heard all the songs. But it seems the obvious choice for a single, with a chorus
as catchy as that.

Also, sometimes great songs or even songs chosen for a single, don’t need to say or mean anything to anyone, usually that’s a requirement if you want a hit. Lol.

We haven’t heard all the songs. But it seems the obvious choice for a single, with a chorus
as catchy as that.

Also, sometimes great songs or even songs chosen for a single, don’t need to say or mean anything to anyone, usually that’s a requirement if you want a hit. Lol.
When did Morrissey last release" a hit ". Has he ever had one ?
Singles, are to encourage fans to buy the album. Is Veronica such an incentive? I doubt it .
But first the album has to be released to be able to buy it ...

Singles, are to encourage fans to buy the album. Is Veronica such an incentive? I doubt it .

A Morrissey hit? Or a Taylor Swift hit ? Guess we need to define what a hit is here.

From the songs we’ve heard so far? it may be the only choice to choose from as a ‘incentive’, for the chorus does seem the catchiest from the bunch we’ve heard.

And Morrissey may want to release a single for reasons other than it being an incentive.

A hit is arguably something that the general radio-listening public gets to hear.
And the last time that happened for Morrissey was with Spent The Day In Bed - possibly his biggest ever airplay success, Smith or post-Smith.
It's why it always goes down well at concerts even though it's a pretty middling song.
The Dog on a Chain singles were better (IMO) but the radio stations (in the UK) had stopped playing his new songs by then.

Last edited:
as catchy as that.

I hear nothing catchy in Veronica. In Telephone Rings? Sure. In Rebels? An abundance.

I think there are several definitions of a hit. One of them is a song that you can't help but hear -- Suedehead and Everyday Is Like Sunday were like that but not much since. Then on the other end of the scale are songs that get some airplay and remind old Morrissey fans what they liked about him in the first place -- Spent the Day in Bed definitely fits that description. But other than that, Morrissey's clinging to an old definition of a chart hit is very sad, since it's not going to happen. Pet Shop Boys are his contemporaries and very content in what they are doing: constantly releasing new music and reinventing their live show. Morrissey should take a page from their book.

I think there are several definitions of a hit. One of them is a song that you can't help but hear -- Suedehead and Everyday Is Like Sunday were like that but not much since. Then on the other end of the scale are songs that get some airplay and remind old Morrissey fans what they liked about him in the first place -- Spent the Day in Bed definitely fits that description. But other than that, Morrissey's clinging to an old definition of a chart hit is very sad, since it's not going to happen. Pet Shop Boys are his contemporaries and very content in what they are doing: constantly releasing new music and reinventing their live show. Morrissey should take a page from their book.
Morrissey has had seven decent size airplay 'hits' in the UK - Suedehead, Every day, Ignore Me, Alma Matters, First of the Gang, Irish Blood and Spent the Day in Bed. First of the Gang tops the league when you check the stats. All of them other than Alma and Spent The Day still get a decent amount of exposure to this day on the indie stations, along with pretty much all the Smiths songs.

For me, I'd say "The More You Ignore Me..." and "Alma Matters" fall in this camp.

I was living in England while Alma Matters was released and it indeed got some serious airplay. But the chart placing was low and the album was sabotaged by bad choices for followups.

That's so interesting - for me, Veronica is definitely the catchiest of those three! Weird how these things hit our brains so differently.
Indeed, strange but we saw that through the A-Z threads. In my book, Rebels would be the way better choice for the first single... but I get that a lot seem to really like Veronica.

Last edited:
That's so interesting - for me, Veronica is definitely the catchiest of those three! Weird how these things hit our brains so differently.
Here we come to the definition of a catchy song.
For me, Suedehead, You have killed me or First of the gang are catchy. In my opinion this is a different kind of catchiness than that of Veronica . I am omitting the lyric here which is ... well :squiffy:
This song is simple, too simple. Musically or lyrically, it does not have much value. There aren't many Morrissey songs like that. The Poll above is a bit astonishing
But ok , de gustibus non est disputandum ;)

I have listened to Rebels several times tonight and it’s most definitely one of his very best songs of the last…18 years. Deserves its spot next to monumental cuts from the 2000’s and onwards. It’s the kind of Morrissey song that reminds me of why he’s so special to me. Why I keep coming back to him, even when he’s gotten on my nerves and made me want to slap him around and frantically tell him to get a grip. Rebels flaunts his kind, warm, gentle soul - and his flawless sense of vocal melody - and I wish he would tap in to this more often.

Hits? :rolleyes: As if that ever mattered to people like me.

Viva Moz !!!

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom