Which of the five new 'Bonfire' songs do you prefer?

Which of the five new 'Bonfire' songs do you prefer?

• Total voters
Sadly, to me this lot seems like the weakest set of lyrics Morrissey has ever committed to paper. Sure Enough, the Telephone Rings sounded like such a cool & menacing title, but the lyrics make Best Friend on the Payroll sound like Queen Is Dead by comparison. There's plenty of discussion of Bonfire elsewhere, and I don't disagree with the criticism, but are "Oh, you should've seen her leave for the arena / On the way, she turned and waved and smiled: "Goodbye" / Goodbye" really the most evocative lines he could have come up with? Plus I Am Veronica remains at least to me totally meaningless.
Sad but there is a lot of truth in it :straightface:

I think what we have to keep in my mind is that these live versions have been subjected to Jessie Tobias... The studio versions probably sound much better - especially Rebels

I chose Rebels Without Applause, but Bonfire and Sure Enough are close seconds, or it is possibly a three-way tie. All five are superb.

Is it really a piped-in Miley Cyrus being heard on the backing vocals for Veronica? If so, she doesn't kill the song. Still, there's no way she can make a marinara sauce to rival Nancy Sinatra's or Alison Martino's. Morrissey may stray, but when the sun begins to set over the Home for the Blind, he always finds his way back home.

1 ) Bonfire of teenagers
2 ) I live in oblivion
3 ) Rebels without applause
4 ) I m Veronica
5 ) Sure enough, the telephone rings

Why does he cut the sleeves? It's a bit Fred Flintstone.

he may feel restrained by the fit of the T-shirt. But most likely he simply likes the way they look. I imagine him before the show taking a pair of scissors and crudely cutting.
It’s a new look for him, I like when he cuts them sleeveless.

but are "Oh, you should've seen her leave for the arena / On the way, she turned and waved and smiled: "Goodbye" / Goodbye" really the most evocative lines he could have come up with?

I find them extremely moving, it brings much sad imagery to my mind. And with the subject matter, I’ve yet hear anyone do better. Has anyone else attempted to express their feelings, their pain in song about this tragedy?

Sadly, to me this lot seems like the weakest set of lyrics Morrissey has ever committed to paper. Sure Enough, the Telephone Rings sounded like such a cool & menacing title, but the lyrics make Best Friend on the Payroll sound like Queen Is Dead by comparison. There's plenty of discussion of Bonfire elsewhere, and I don't disagree with the criticism, but are "Oh, you should've seen her leave for the arena / On the way, she turned and waved and smiled: "Goodbye" / Goodbye" really the most evocative lines he could have come up with? Plus I Am Veronica remains at least to me totally meaningless.
Me and a few others were mainly talking about the gist of the Bonfire. Hadn't even touched on the words, much
However, I agree with what you say here. I actually touched on this yesterday, It seems, to me, that the whole turning around to wave thing, Is such weak, obvious imagery I tend to agree the words aren't great.
I'm hoping the studio version will be much much better, I mean the lyrics and the gist of the song will be the same, sadly. However, maybe the studio version saves it
His voice is great in the song, the singing is spot on. The music isn't bad .
The rest of the songs are rather good and I especially like Ovlivin
This is the deal though, do you think what with M's rep, these songs are strong enough to get a record company interested, at the kind of money M would want ?
He wasn't able to save World Peakce from being dropped. He promised it would be released and it wasn't. I hope he manages to get this off the ground. I have serious doubts.
I wish he would just realise he is an indie artist again and embrace that ethic and release want he wants

Sadly, to me this lot seems like the weakest set of lyrics Morrissey has ever committed to paper. Sure Enough, the Telephone Rings sounded like such a cool & menacing title, but the lyrics make Best Friend on the Payroll sound like Queen Is Dead by comparison.

I actually love the line … “Please be fair, you must tell the little kids they live in hell now”

of course it seems out of context with the main subject of the song, and yet it works somehow, it fits the chords and vibe of the song, it’s a very interesting line, & who else would be so cynical, blunt and honest?
Also, there’s something catchy in the repetition of it.

the ‘buried dug up again’ line may be about about blackmail.

I actually love the line … “Please be fair, you must tell the little kids they live in hell now”

of course it seems out of context with the main subject of the song, and yet it works somehow, it fits the chords and vibe of the song, it’s a very interesting line, & who else would be so cynical, blunt and honest?
Also, there’s something catchy in the repetition of it.

I love that line too. I like how the song progresses from the self-pitying concerns of a cantankerous old geezer being bothered by telemarketers or charity solicitors, or an aging pop star in Los Angeles being drained by syncophants and lawyers, to finally a sort of cosmic telephone call conveying the news that we’re all doomed. Nobody wants to pick up the receiver for that one. The singer leaps from the personal to the universal in two short and sweet minutes.

Last edited:
I love that line too. I like how the song progresses from the self-pitying concerns of a cantankerous old geezer being bothered by telemarketers or charity solicitors, or an aging

pop star in Los Angeles being drained by syncophanths and lawyers, to finally a sort of cosmic telephonic call conveying the news that we’re all doomed. Nobody wants to pick up the receiver for that one.
Yeah, I like that take too. I didn’t think of it as someone or something calling him to to tell him to warn the new earth people ( the little kids) that they are doomed!
The singer leaps from the personal to the universal in two short and sweet minutes.
yes ! there is that.

he may feel restrained by the fit of the T-shirt. But most likely he simply likes the way they look. I imagine him before the show taking a pair of scissors and crudely cutting.
It’s a new look for him, I like when he cuts them sleeveless.
I guess it must be about feeling less restricted. So, in that case, the severed sleeved Incredible Hulk vibe is probably marginally preferable to a Jack Duckworth vest. But only just.

I guess it must be about feeling less restricted. So, in that case, the severed sleeved Incredible Hulk vibe is probably marginally preferable to a Jack Duckworth vest. But only just.

Something punk for a punk like M.
Never cared much for the vests. Though the dark suits recently are a good look for him.

in no particular order …

1 - Bonfire of teenagers
2 - Bonfire of teenagers
3 - Bonfire of teenagers
4 - Bonfire of teenagers
5 - Bonfire of teenagers

View attachment 82592

It's kinda weird, cause when Moz and Sam were discussin' the new record,
Bonfire Of Teenagers didn't really interest me.
Now it turns out that the thing is my favorite.
Only Moz could (or would) make a song like this.
Not just as far as subject matter goes, but also the rhythm and feelin' of it.

1 ) I live in oblivion - a Masterpiece !!!
2 ) Bonfire of teenagers - very strong piece of music, very important song
3 ) Sure enough, the telephone rings - good with the potential . I am looking forward impatiently for the studio version
4) Rebels without applause - poors man's Cemetry Gates , but that's ok
5) I am Veronica - to hell with it to hell with it to hell with it to hell with it to hell with it to hell with it .......

Rebels Without Applause

Actually, what a great song ! We all know that Morrissey is a Punk Rocker. And not too many folks actually HEARD XRay Spex or Generation X live. Nor the Sex Pistols for that matter. One feels envious in so many ways especially when The Ramones are mentioned.

Anyway all that stuff of dreams was ongoing while I was tucked up in bed, like a good little boy, watching Bagpuss!!!

Hazard x
Where are The Ramones mentioned in the lyrics?

Rebels Without Applause

Actually, what a great song ! We all know that Morrissey is a Punk Rocker. And not too many folks actually HEARD XRay Spex or Generation X live. Nor the Sex Pistols for that matter. One feels envious in so many ways especially when The Ramones are mentioned.

Anyway all that stuff of dreams was ongoing while I was tucked up in bed, like a good little boy, watching Bagpuss!!!

Hazard x
Does it remind you of Cemetry Gates somewhow?

1 - Veronica
(The dolphins part is the catchiest vocal since the "tombs" part from I Wish you Lonely.

2 - I Live in Obliviom
(haunting, with a heart-wrenching outro reminiscent of Please PLease Please...and oh the there's a good boy part...good grief!)

3 - Rebels
(ok, it's very cemetrygates-ish with the guitars and the vocal melodies are awesome, anyways...the Bawdy boys part is so catchy and sweet)

4 - Sure enough
(fast and catchy with grumpy lyrics and a false ending) Thumbs up. Reminds me a little bit of Boy happy.)

5 - Bonfire
(hauting, I never knew about the don't look back in anger thing... I had to look up videos on youtube to try ti understand the message Moz wanted to convey). I'm still bedazzled.

Back
Top Bottom