Which of the five new 'Bonfire' songs do you prefer?

Which of the five new 'Bonfire' songs do you prefer?

• Total voters
Of course, performing these songs live increased the appetite to hear them in the studio versions. However, these live versions leave a certain deficiency. Oblivion is out of reach, the title track is on a high emotional level, Telephone and Rebels, we will have to wait with them. Veronica is one of his weakest songs ever ... I don't know who came up with this dramatically weak backing vocal ... It worsens the reception of this song even more.

In order:
1 - I am Veronica
2 - Sure enough, the telephone rings
3 - Rebels without applause
4 - I live in oblivion
5 - Bonfire of teenagers

in no particular order …

1 - Bonfire of teenagers
2 - Bonfire of teenagers
3 - Bonfire of teenagers
4 - Bonfire of teenagers
5 - Bonfire of teenagers

1656976311513.jpeg

Of course, performing these songs live increased the appetite to hear them in the studio versions. However, these live versions leave a certain deficiency. Oblivion is out of reach, the title track is on a high emotional level, Telephone and Rebels, we will have to wait with them. Veronica is one of his weakest songs ever ... I don't know who came up with this dramatically weak backing vocal ... It worsens the reception of this song even more.
Thank God you are not a musician!!!!!

Get a grip.
Hazard x

Rebels Without Applause

Actually, what a great song ! We all know that Morrissey is a Punk Rocker. And not too many folks actually HEARD XRay Spex or Generation X live. Nor the Sex Pistols for that matter. One feels envious in so many ways especially when The Ramones are mentioned.

Anyway all that stuff of dreams was ongoing while I was tucked up in bed, like a good little boy, watching Bagpuss!!!

Hazard x

OBLIVION has the strongest (most interesting) subject matter and vocals... The culmination of the experiments: This Song Doesn't End When Its Over and If Saturday Ever Comes comes into fruition here!

Rebels Without Applause

Actually, what a great song ! We all know that Morrissey is a Punk Rocker. And not too many folks actually HEARD XRay Spex or Generation X live. Nor the Sex Pistols for that matter. One feels envious in so many ways especially when The Ramones are mentioned.

Anyway all that stuff of dreams was ongoing while I was tucked up in bed, like a good little boy, watching Bagpuss!!!

Hazard x

He is definitely a punk rocker, maybe the last one standing, just listen to the song Bonfire of Teenagers, it’s all there in the words and voice.

That's nothing , You should hear me play piano .
Can you tune it up first ?
Might be worth a laugh. Can you play any Bach. Or Yazoo ?

I know two professional backing singers and its harder than you think.

Hazard x

Sadly, to me this lot seems like the weakest set of lyrics Morrissey has ever committed to paper. Sure Enough, the Telephone Rings sounded like such a cool & menacing title, but the lyrics make Best Friend on the Payroll sound like Queen Is Dead by comparison. There's plenty of discussion of Bonfire elsewhere, and I don't disagree with the criticism, but are "Oh, you should've seen her leave for the arena / On the way, she turned and waved and smiled: "Goodbye" / Goodbye" really the most evocative lines he could have come up with? Plus I Am Veronica remains at least to me totally meaningless.

In the other Moz/Smiths fan places I visit, there is an overwhelmingly positive response to the new songs, people were live streaming and discussing them and then again after. A good amount of people said they felt like they would be frowned upon for being angry and now they feel M has put their feelings into words, which is something he does very well.

Four really strong songs and one slight but fun song.

Bonfire is my fave, closely followed by Veronica, Oblivion and Rebels.

Last edited:
I think my order would be

Telephone - fun, short, cynical pop song. Its what he does very well.
Veronica - As above
Oblivion - I like the subject matter
Rebels - Just cannot unhear Cemetery Gates and feels like an inferior version
Bonfire - Not really a fan, music and words sometimes don't really seem to fit together in parts

None really blow me away though

Can you tune it up first ?
Might be worth a laugh. Can you play any Bach. Or Yazoo ?

I know two professional backing singers and its harder than you think.

Hazard x
I understand that you like to show off and people have a lot of fun with your jokes and biting remarks. But I guess you realize that I mean Miley Cyrus' backing vocal in Veronica and not backing vocals at all?

Back
Top Bottom