Which of Morrissey's 'old pals' do you think he's collaborated with?

With which 'old pal' do you think Morrissey has recently collaborated?

• Total voters

Maurice E

The Morrissey's Mum character on Twitter recently said:
"I can confirm my boy has been been in touch with an old pal and they have collaborated. He knows you'd love to hear it."
I think I'm right in saying that pretty much everything 'she' has posted so far has turned out to be true.
So, who do you think it is?

I know I said before that Street would be too obvious, but now, looking at this list, I've got the feeling that it's either Street or the rumor is untrue. I feel like there'd be no point to a collaboration with many of these people, and some are just plain unlikely at the moment. But that's just the vibe I get.

I know I said before that Street would be too obvious, but now, looking at this list, I've got the feeling that it's either Street or the rumor is untrue. I feel like there'd be no point to a collaboration with many of these people, and some are just plain unlikely at the moment. But that's just the vibe I get.

I think you're right, but...

One thing many people overlook is that he always swears he'd never reunite The Smiths...but that is not the same thing as saying he'd never play or write with Johnny again. It's easy to see things in black and white, but you should never overlook the grey areas.

Having said that I do not think it's Johnny. But I remember a recent interview (recent as in post comeback) where he said, "The Smiths were me and Johnny and Angie." I thought the Angie bit was odd but I'm positive he said something like that.

I also have an old interview from 1997...maybe Modern Rock Live, I don't know...where the guy asked him, "would you ever be willing to work and write with Johnny Marr again" and Morrissey emphatically said yes. I will try to find the interview and upload it. But he said yes...and this was AFTER he'd been with Boz and Alan for six years, and this was AFTER the court case.

So...again, I'm not saying I think it's Johnny, but people should read between the lines when Morrissey says he will never reunite his old band. He could be lying truthfully, which he's very good at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, yes, believe me I completely understand the difference there. There's just something about it that tells me that it's STILL not quite the right time JUST yet. But it will undoubtedly be sometime within the next three or four years, I think.

Hopefully it is Steve Lillywhite and they have completed an EP with the (un)finished Maladjusted tracks:

Kit
I know who I love
Hanratty

Everyone is satisfied and looking forward to record a complete album in autumn.
Alain Whyte was involved but refused to tour again so that Jesse dude stepped in one more time.

Me statisfied!

I guess that, of all Morrissey's previous songwriters, only Street and Marr would be considered 'old pals' (I'm not counting Alain Whyte as a previous songwriter as he wrote songs on the latest album).
It seems much more likely that Street would be the one, if the rumour's true. There's nothing really to lose for either of them if they were to write songs together again, as there isn't all the baggage that comes with the Morrissey/Marr partnership. I really hope it is Street. Most of his songs were fantastic - I loved the string arrangements (e.g. Angel, Will Never Marry), keyboard parts, wonderful melodies etc. What I'd give to hear that quality of music in a modern day Morrissey album. I don't understand why Street hasn't written songs since then (or at least released songs) - maybe he couldn't find anyone to work with (seems unlikely) or just preferred to focus on producing other people's stuff...

Oh, I forgot to include Spencer Cobrin. Darn!
He would be my 3rd choice after Street and Marr.
Lost and 'Wide to Receive' were genius pop. I'd be hugely excited if he was welcomed back to the fold.

Well, Jesse's been a pal since 2004 - and I bet he has collaborated with Moz recently. So I could be right.

But, of course, I was being somewhat, if not completely, facetious! :)

Russell Brand

Oh, I forgot to include Spencer Cobrin. Darn!
He would be my 3rd choice after Street and Marr.
Lost and 'Wide to Receive' were genius pop. I'd be hugely excited if he was welcomed back to the fold.

First Morrissey would have to apologize for calling him Jewboy...IN A FAX.

Maybe it's Vini Reilly...after all, Reilly wrote all the music on Viva Hate!:crazy: (Except for Suedehead.)

And did you hear, the A-Team killed Bin Laden the other day by just walking right into his house and shooting him?:crazy:

Interested in a bridge?

Maybe it's Vini Reilly...after all, Reilly wrote all the music on Viva Hate!:crazy: (Except for Suedehead.)

And did you hear, the A-Team killed Bin Laden the other day by just walking right into his house and shooting him?:crazy:

Interested in a bridge?

The Navy Seals didn't kill Bin Laden; it was Vini Reilly done the whole thing on keyboards.

i was hoping for david attenborough and paul mccartney. think of it - the 3 greatest living britons! morrissey could sing, paul could write music and david could write words and dance.
if not stephen street would be awesome. yeah dont understand why he hasn't written more music with other artists? stephen street's music was a perfect progression from the smiths. his loss was a huge one. some of the post-street material was appalling. boz and alain recovered the musical direction i guess.. but it's remained patchy..
i'd be really interested to see what stephen street would write now..

And did you hear, the A-Team killed Bin Laden the other day by just walking right into his house and shooting him?

Nonsense...The A-Team would shoot around Bin Laden, making objects explode, so to lead him into his panic room which had been converted into a portable jail cell the day before when Murdoch distracted the inept guards by pretending to be a Rabbi looking for the Wailing Wall.

I love it when a plan comes together...

Back
Top Bottom