Which Morrissey songs have the best bass line?

The Seeker of Good Songs

I was just listening to "Tomorrow" and thought of this.

I was just listening to "Tomorrow" and thought of this.

My current favourites are Lifeguard Sleeping Girl Drownling and Jack the Riper.

For best Smiths I would say This Charming Man is pretty good. Heaven Knows is very good too.....? Can't decide...:confused:

Oh, Oh, and I just thought - This Night has Opened My Eyes - blimey thats good! :D (And grat fun to play too!)

I like the stand up bass solo in King Leer.

Im a bass player myself and I can tell you that some of Rourkes bass playing was excellent. "Barbarism Begins at Home" stands out though. Its a great bassline.​

Last edited:
I play bass but i f***ing hate "barbarism", Rourke may aswell have flopped his cock out and wanked it for 6+minutes....
However the bass line for Rusholme Ruffians is immense.

For The Solo stuff i like how dirty the bassline is to Alsatian Cousin.

I play bass but i f***ing hate "barbarism", Rourke may aswell have flopped his cock out and wanked it for 6+minutes....
However the bass line for Rusholme Ruffians is immense.

For The Solo stuff i like how dirty the bassline is to Alsatian Cousin.

Like the song or not its a great bassline. Theres no getting away from that. Funking that shit up! Go Andy!​

I'm surprised that no one has said Girl Afraid yet. It's a fairly simple baseline but it is the perfect synthesis between guitar and bass, they match just perfectly.

For solo I'd also go with Alsatian Cousin but the opening to Do Your Best and Don't Worry is great too.

Spring Heeled Jim.
November

Or am I getting bass line confused with bass openings.

This Charming Man too

anything with Johnny Bridgewood on Maladjusted, if you listen closely he does alot of awesome subtle stuff

I was wondering if anyone besides myself was going to say this.

Gary is a solid bass player but his bass lines are pretty unremarkable. They aren't bad but he has only a few highlights considering how many songs he's played on.

Smiths: "Barbarism Begins At Home", "The Draize Train", "The Queen Is Dead", "Death Of A Disco Dancer", "This Charming Man", "Well I Wonder", "Rusholme Ruffians".

Morrissey: "Alsatian Cousin", "Tomorrow", "Everyday Is Like Sunday", "Glamorous Glue", "I Don't Mind If You Forget Me"

"Spring-Heeled Jim," definitely. Also, "Sing Your Life" and "Rusholme Ruffians."

Back
Top Bottom