Which Morrissey Album has the best B-sides?

Which Morrissey Album has the Best B-Sides?

• Viva Hate

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Kill Uncle

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Your Arsenal

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Vauxhall & I

• Southpaw Grammar

• Maladjusted

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • You Are The Quarry

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Ringleader of the Tormentors

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters

Spineless Swine

Are you loathsome tonight
Viva Hate: I Know Very Well How I Got My Name, Hairdresser On Fire, Oh Well, I'll Never Learn, Sister I'm A Poet, Disappointed, Will Never Marry .

Kill Uncle: Journalists Who Lie, Tony the Pony, That's Entertainment, The Loop .

Your Arsenal: Suedehead (live), I've Changed My Plea To Guilty (live),
Alsatian Cousin (live), Pashernate Love, There Speaks A True Friend, You've Had Her, Jack The Ripper .

Vauxhall & I: Used To Be A Sweet Boy, I'd Love To, Moonriver.

Southpaw Grammar: Nobody Loves Us, You Must Please Remember, London (live), Billy Budd (live), Spring-Heeled Jim (live), Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself (live).

Maladjusted: Heir Apparent, I Can Have Both, Lost, The Edges Are No Longer Parallel, Now I Am A Was, This Is Not Your Country.

You Are The Quarry : It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small, Munich Air Disaster 1958, The Never Played Symphonies, My Life Is A Succession Of People Saying Goodbye, Teenage Dad On His Estate, Mexico, Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice, Friday Mourning, I Am Two People, No One Can Hold A Candle to You, Slum Mums, The Public Image .

Ringleader of the Tormentors: Human Being, Good Looking Man About Town, I Knew I Was Next, If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me, A Song From Under The Floorboards, Ganglord, I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now (live), To Me You Are A Work Of Art (live), Christian Dior, Sweetie-Pie, I Want The One I Can't Have (live), Speedway (live), Late Night Maudlin Street (live)

Last edited:
God that took longer than I thought it would, well you have to do something with your sundays.

I'd go for Quarry just for Sheer quantity of new songs... but judging on quality alone it'd probably be Viva

No, but it was an extra track on the re-released viva hate, you're probably getting confused with that

YATQ, by a country mile. The b-sides make a brilliant album in their own right. Teenage Dad is wonderful.

Peter

Viva Hate is the clear winner, despite what the vote tally says. All but "I Know Very Well..." and "Oh Well I'll Never Learn" have become part of the canonical tracks that even a casual fan knows well, and they've had long-lasting live standards. I'll go with YATQ for second place, though.

:rolleyes: Hmmm..it's a tough choice....Disappointed is such a great song, but some of those singles from Quarry are so good too...I guess I would have to pick Viva Hate. Was Girl Least Likely to a single from Viva Hate? Or was that just added to the re-release of Viva Hate? Thanks for starting an interesting thread....

:rolleyes: Hmmm..it's a tough choice....Disappointed is such a great song, but some of those singles from Quarry are so good too...I guess I would have to pick Viva Hate. Was Girl Least Likely to a single from Viva Hate? Or was that just added to the re-release of Viva Hate? Thanks for starting an interesting thread....

The latter is correct. To clear up further confusion, the original Viva Hate B-sides were: I Know Very Well How I Got My Name, Hairdresser on Fire, Oh Well I'll Never Learn, Sister I'm a Poet, Disappointed, and Will Never Marry.

Any others (including the aforementioned Pashernate Love and Girl Least Likely To) were add-ons when EMI issued the "Centennial Edition" in 1998.

Cheers,

Jamie

As a whole, it's Maladjusted for me, easily.

Girl least likely to was a b-side to 'november spawned a monster' a non album track.

Another interesting point is that perhaps 2 of mozzers 'best' albums have a poor collection of b-sides, Your Arsenal only really has 'Jack the Ripper' to shout about. While Vauxhall only had 3, One was a cover and one was an album track.

Whereas perhaps the least well received album, maladjusted, has one of the best collection of b-sides.

Good poll! (a similar one was run as the poll on the main site but before ROTT came out).

There are some great Quarry b-sides. The so-so album that was Quarry (scored 73 out of 100 on metacritic which is based on loads of reviews) could have been a really good one (80 out of 100) and received Mercury/Brit nominations etc if he'd taken off rubbish like How Could Anybody and Lazy Dyke and put on 3 or 4 of those great b-sides.

However, the quality of the songs and the diversity of the music on the Viva Hate b-sides was phenomenal, so that get's the Maurice E vote.

Another interesting point is that perhaps 2 of mozzers 'best' albums have a poor collection of b-sides, Your Arsenal only really has 'Jack the Ripper' to shout about. While Vauxhall only had 3, One was a cover and one was an album track.

It just shows that Moz can make a good album-selection occasionally. He made the right choices with Vauxhall and YA, but left some of his best songs off SG and Maladjusted.

YATQ would not have benefited greatly had some of the b-sides been included, I feel.

Objectively I don't think anyone can say there were any better b-sides than the Viva Hate-ones. 5 absolute classics.

Still, I voted for Maladjusted...

Went with Maladjusted because "I Can Have Both" is my alltime fav. b-side.

Nice poll, but you forgot about Let the Right One Slip In, a criminally underated b-side from Your Arsenal (I think it backed Tomorrow).

ouch this was hard....viva hate for me thou!

Great poll!
Though it's a very difficult choice, I'd say the best b-sides are from You Are The Quarry. :)

Back
Top Bottom