Which instruments did Morrissey attempt to learn when he was younger?

Morrissey told me that he used to have a Moog synthesizer and he wore a cape like Rick Wakeman and played progressive rock.

rick_wakeman1.jpg

Please tell me he has a theramin. Please? All my dreams would come true in an instant.

Can Morrissey play an instrument?

I know he's played piano on a Smiths tune (Death of a Disco Dancer) but he is an intelligent man and if he doesn't play anything surely it is by choice?

Just a question that's always intrigued me - if he isn't learning to play the guitar then 'God, where did all the time go?'

Re: Can Morrissey play an instrument?

Apperently Morrissey did learn drumming.

According to Johnny Marr and Mike Joyce, Morrissey contributed many ideas on drum parts of Smiths songs.

haha god yes the tamborine. :)

I have often wondered this question myself...sure I read somewhere that he had attempted to learn instruments but was never good at it or something..so he just decided to stick with singing.

haha god yes the tamborine. :)

I have often wondered this question myself...sure I read somewhere that he had attempted to learn instruments but was never good at it or something..so he just decided to stick with singing.

That makes it sound like singing is second best. To my mind a great singer is rarer than a great guitarist or drummer, and should be treasured the most.

Maybe once he started singing he didn't see any point in learning an instrument. He could do all he wanted with his voice.

I love drummers. thanks for those pics, never seen the one with the gibson guitar.
Saxofone? haha :D i'd love to play sax, I can do it very well with my voice, and trumpet too.

: Does Morrissey play any instrument? :

Does anybody know if he plays any instrument? Who plays the piano in Asleep?

Thanx!

I knew he played dums but I'd never see those pics - fantastic, thanks for posting.

Playing drums is the best fun you can have!

Here for the first time is Velvis's top 5 Morrissey tracks to drum along to:

1. Billy Budd (just can't get that ending right)
2. Tomorrow (love that push into 'Oh the pain in my arms')
3. Irish Blood (just great it's slow, it's fast, i't's got the lot!)
4. Far Off Places (Slow and strong - not as easy as it looks)
5. Mute Witness (The Holy Grail - a real challenge - all those stabs - I'll get it right one day...)

I knew he played dums but I'd never see those pics - fantastic, thanks for posting.

Playing drums is the best fun you can have!

Here for the first time is Velvis's top 5 Morrissey tracks to drum along to:

1. Billy Budd (just can't get that ending right)
2. Tomorrow (love that push into 'Oh the pain in my arms')
3. Irish Blood (just great it's slow, it's fast, i't's got the lot!)
4. Far Off Places (Slow and strong - not as easy as it looks)
5. Mute Witness (The Holy Grail - a real challenge - all those stabs - I'll get it right one day...)

i know it's not really topic but i just have to correct this ..

Playing bass guitar is the best fun you can have, sorry! :D

i know it's not really topic but i just have to correct this ..

Playing bass guitar is the best fun you can have, sorry! :D

Ahh - up until one year ago I would have agreed with you completely... I love bass!

Then I got my electronic drum kit...!

:)

Ahh - up until one year ago I would have agreed with you completely... I love bass!

Then I got my electronic drum kit...!

:)

well..i played the drums once in a lifetime..and yes..it's great..and you can have a lot of fun although you never played before or know something....when you play the bass for the first time..it's really different..it's quite harder..so i have to agree with you..but after all those time..i cannot change anymore..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom