Which has been the best decade for music?

The 1920s, no question.

Hot Jazz - subversive, sexy, funny and tragic. Maybe the first time in the modern era that music really was dangerous enough to change the world.

Louis Armstrong, King Oliver, Bix Beiderbecke - god, it doesn't get any better than that.

I still find lots of new music everyday, but easily the best was the 60s. because the 60s took rock & pop from its basic and really expanded it and showed all the possibilities, that there were no rules. by the time psych broke into prog and glam, after that, music just seemed to recycle things in new ways.

punk was like early 50s rock, break rock down to its most basic and dangerous.
80s mtv pop was like 60s bubblegum
hair metal was glam recycled
grunge was basically punk recycled
garage rock basically punk.

nowadays, bands that matter take pieces of what came before and make it their own. but in the 60s, when those boundaries were being pushed on a daily basis, with the pop machine meaning new stuff cranked out faster and faster, really pretty amazing.

I still find lots of new music everyday, but easily the best was the 60s. because the 60s took rock & pop from its basic and really expanded it and showed all the possibilities, that there were no rules. by the time psych broke into prog and glam, after that, music just seemed to recycle things in new ways.

punk was like early 50s rock, break rock down to its most basic and dangerous.
80s mtv pop was like 60s bubblegum
hair metal was glam recycled
grunge was basically punk recycled
garage rock basically punk.

nowadays, bands that matter take pieces of what came before and make it their own. but in the 60s, when those boundaries were being pushed on a daily basis, with the pop machine meaning new stuff cranked out faster and faster, really pretty amazing.

yes, this

This is an impossible question for me to answer :confused:.....I love music from all the decades. Nope...just thought about it again, I can't provide a definate answer. Too much great music from each decade....I'm a music whore!!! :eek: :D :guitar:

I can't decide on just one. Definately 60's to 80's. I don't really listen to music beyond..I think 1985, other than Morrissey's 90-00's music and a few others.

The 1920s, no question.

Hot Jazz - subversive, sexy, funny and tragic. Maybe the first time in the modern era that music really was dangerous enough to change the world.

Louis Armstrong, King Oliver, Bix Beiderbecke - god, it doesn't get any better than that.

What a liberating period in modern history. In the major music scheme of things, I have to agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom