Which band/artist do you think comes close to The Smiths Or Morrissey

Does anybody know of Jake Thackray? I think of him as a sort of proto-Morrissey of the 60's and 70's; his sparkling, witty lyrics brimmed with sex, lost love, class issues, outsider figures, and religion. He accompanied himself in a distinctive style on a nylon-strung guitar, sometimes with other instruments, often not. Like Morrissey, his voice is perhaps an acquired taste, but one well worth acquiring.

His songs are freely available on both Spotify and We7.com. For part of his career, he wrote songs rapidly on demand to fit news items and played them on current affairs shows, and some of these songs are not as good as his more carefully crafted compositions. So, here are a few songs you could seek out as a taster:

The Hair of the Widow of Bridlington
The Kiss
The Blacksmith and the Toffee Maker
The Black Swan
It Was Only A gypsy
The Lodger
Sister Josephine

He was more of an English chansonnier.

Damn......
Brilliant Corners AND Northside:thumb:

Ps, two weeks today I am attending the wedding of Dermo, the singer of Northside:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

Have you got some sideline going on JJ?

Weddings, Funerals, Bar Mitzvahs? On the Wheels of Steel!

Have you got some sideline going on JJ?

Weddings, Funerals, Bar Mitzvahs? On the Wheels of Steel!

Ha ha Brel,
When I posted that, I thought you'd pick up on the Carpets wedding last week and Northside in two weeks.....
You know what they say...... no weddings for ages and then three come along at the same time.....:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

Ha ha Brel,
When I posted that, I thought you'd pick up on the Carpets wedding last week and Northside in two weeks.....
You know what they say...... no weddings for ages and then three come along at the same time.....:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

So who's the third? :)

Back
Top Bottom