where can i find this Gene-song?

Ahhhhh, Gene, I miss Gene.
Biggest disappointment ever that I never got to see them live :(

Which was the 7" test pressing they had, was it 'Is It Over' or 'Does He Have A Name'?
Either way, one I'd bloody love to have!

Ahhhhh, Gene, I miss Gene.
Biggest disappointment ever that I never got to see them live :(

Which was the 7" test pressing they had, was it 'Is It Over' or 'Does He Have A Name'?
Either way, one I'd bloody love to have!

Same here. I've discovered them rather recently (during the last year or so) and it strikes me how underrated they are compared to many other groups from that era.

People, back when, told me that Gene was just a pale imitation of the Smiths, and I let this affect me. I am obviously very ashamed today, and you are very much in your right to beat me with a stick or something like that.

Same here. I've discovered them rather recently (during the last year or so) and it strikes me how underrated they are compared to many other groups from that era.

People, back when, told me that Gene was just a pale imitation of the Smiths, and I let this affect me. I am obviously very ashamed today, and you are very much in your right to beat me with a stick or something like that.

That always made me think "Yes, and?" :) You could have said the same for Morrissey's solo work, after all. And it's sort of true too - they do sound very similar, and they're obviously not as good as The Smiths. But in the end, who cares? They made a large number of fantastic songs, and were hugley better than almost all of those highly touted Britpop thirdraters whose albums are today hardly considered worthy even of disdain. And they were never rated. Still aren't. Just one of those things I'm never going get, like why And Also the Trees seems to occupy a blank space in the world's musical attention.

They were a terrific live band too. Saw them in Oslo in 98 or something like that, one of the best gigs I ever attended.

cheers

Noticed this picture on flickr from a gig on April 28, 2008. Anybody know what it was?

Saw Gene in Tokyo years ago -- very good.

Noticed this picture on flickr from a gig on April 28, 2008. Anybody know what it was?

Saw Gene in Tokyo years ago -- very good.

He filled a secret guest slot on the Brighton date of the Tom McRae 'Hotel Cafe' tour (29th April '08).
Set included two new songs: 'Sing It Loud' and 'My Heart's Designed For Pumping Blood' along with 'Is It Over?'

link

Last edited:

I won't beat you with a big stick, that'd be rather harsh!
Heck of a band though!

The Libertene Demo's album that this appears to be posted from, do you have the rest of it that you could post?

I have the studio album, as with the previous releases but I did not always get all of the singles and have not heard the Demo's.

I actually had a Gene track played in the church during my wedding. "Why I was born".

Vomiting is allowed because I do realise how cheesy it is, but it fitted so well. I was 25 at the time (just turned).

Cheers in advance if you can up-load it.

Eventually, I have to get off my arse and get the rest of Gene. Certainly not in a shop here in the states, though. Bought Olympian in the 90s loved it--but never got anything else. Despite absolutely loving tracks like We Could Be Kings, Fighting Fit, and Let Me Move on. I am sure I have deprived myself of a ton of tracks I would totally adore

I remember Morrissey saying he liked the song "Fighting Fit". The Smiths/Moz influence is obviously there in many tracks, but this one nails (pardon the pun) Morrissey's more sexualised songs.

The Libertene Demo's album that this appears to be posted from, do you have the rest of it that you could post?

I have the studio album, as with the previous releases but I did not always get all of the singles and have not heard the Demo's.

I actually had a Gene track played in the church during my wedding. "Why I was born".

Vomiting is allowed because I do realise how cheesy it is, but it fitted so well. I was 25 at the time (just turned).

Cheers in advance if you can up-load it.

Why I Was Born,that was the first song we danced to at our wedding last year. I always though it was such laziness to compare them to the Smiths, because a singer has a degree of intellect, and dares to sing about topics once touched upon by, gosh .....Morrissey!
Seen them countless times, including their last gig at the Astoria which was f***ing sublime,great band!
Drawn to the deep end lp touches anything by Moz, and eclipses at least one Smiths lp

Last edited:
In the words of Roy Walker, its close but its not the one.

Where Are They Now probably their best.

It's their best single, I'd agree with that. But DTTDE is, lyrically, Rozza's finest moment. Especially the live Royal Albert Hall version.

"...and I'm sorry."

Back
Top Bottom