Where are Johnny Marr solo posts supposed to go

The Seeker of Good Songs

Sometimes news about Johnny Marr's non-Smiths related projects are posted in the General Discussion forum and other times in the Other Music forum.
Where is the proper place to post non-Smiths Johnny Marr material?
Is there a rule/guideline?

Re: Where are Johnny Marr solo posts supposed to go..

I'd say General Discussion. The sub title of that forum is "For general discussion of Morrissey, The Smiths and related music".

P.

If it's specific Marr news, then I'd say Other Music, such as the recent Marr Solo album.

If it's an interview with references to The Smiths, as many are, then the General Discussion forum.

The relevance also counts. A news item of magnitude placed in the General Discussion forum can be relevant because of it's weight and interest, whether it could be placed in another forum or not

If it's specific Marr news, then I'd say Other Music, such as the recent Marr Solo album.

If it's an interview with references to The Smiths, as many are, then the General Discussion forum.

The relevance also counts. A news item of magnitude placed in the General Discussion forum can be relevant because of it's weight and interest, whether it could be placed in another forum or not

I believe this is a good summary of the policy, thanks.

Interesting that Peter and David have different views... wonder who is right... there's only one way to find out...
harry-hill-trafalgar-meet5.jpg

For what it is worth, I think a Johnny Marr solo release belongs in General Discussion - clearly 'related music'

Dave

Interesting that Peter and David have different views... wonder who is right... there's only one way to find out...

For what it is worth, I think a Johnny Marr solo release belongs in General Discussion - clearly 'related music'

Dave

How is it related though? Any more than a Mike Joyce radio broadcast, or a DJ set by Andy Rourke?

They're all related to The Smiths to some degree, but drawing the line is the point.

Considering this is a Morrissey site, a Johnny Marr solo album doesn't largely relate to Smiths/Morrissey in itself.

There are definitely grey areas, so I don't think any of us should lose sleep over it, and as I said before, sometimes the significance of a story can override the usual location of a thread, because it enters 'general interest'

harry-hill-trafalgar-meet5.jpg

Dave

What a boring world if we all agreed all the time.

P.

Dave

Actually, I changed my mind and I agree with you and Uncleskinny - thanks for reminding me of the subtext of the forum, "For general discussion of Morrissey, The Smiths and related music". As MORRIZSEY said, there are grey areas. A Johnny Marr solo album doesn't come around often, right?

Actually, I changed my mind and I agree with you and Uncleskinny - thanks for reminding me of the subtext of the forum, "For general discussion of Morrissey, The Smiths and related music". As MORRIZSEY said, there are grey areas. A Johnny Marr solo album doesn't come around often, right?
Yep, it's where you draw the line. So what is "related music", and what is a "significant story". Is a solo album of an ex-band member 25 years on related to Smiths/Morrissey? To what extent? Or is it a solo venture in it's own right, with no connections?

The last couple of news items I've posted about Johnny Marr have been within already existing threads

To me, 'related music' can be quite broad, I'd expect to see news of band members such as Rourke, Joyce, Gannon, Street, Whyte, Boorer, Day, Cobrin etc.... to be featured in General Discussion. I'd also expect to see Kristeen Young, Doll and the Kicks even Phranc to be placed there as well.

Dave

For what its worth I believe it belongs in GD forum, although the detractors have a point (especially at the moment) But Johnny Marr's first solo album and tour are quite significant news. Imho

Back
Top Bottom