Morrissey Central "WHEN YOU ARE THE QUARRY" (January 6, 2023)

unnamed-11.png

by MORRISSEY

I am aware that the ludicrous 'Morrissey is Far Right' attributions have very recently wiggled back into minor vogue on all of the usual gossip sites. This rush is, I am assured, in view of Miley Cyrus wanting to be removed from 'I Am Veronica', and suddenly the very dated rehash of "This is because of Morrissey's political views" wobbles out - delighting those for whom I am a book that under no circumstances can they stop reading. My friends are fully aware of a certain aim to put me out of circulation, which has inexplicably become relentless even though the entire point of Cancel Culture is to never again acknowledge whomever has been cancelled. You cannot constantly vomit out the same regurgitated "he should not be listened to" dirge year after year, because YOU are displaying an obsession that you urge others to avoid. I had secretly hoped that the glorious benefit of being cancelled would be that I could never again receive a bad review, because even to give me yet another oh-so-predictable bad review confirms that I am not, after all, cancelled. But the Cancel Vultures write only in headlines; they do not answer questions; their darts aim only for the inspired elite of perceptive intelligence. The Vultures are usually chief exponents of the hate and harassment which they themselves define as justification for Cancellation of others. Cancel Vultures are unknowable blanks, and they only attack those of whom they are most jealous - because others don't count. They will not forgive you for being alive, but they will not square up to you face-to-face because they would be forced to look into your eyes … where the wordless truth resides. Worst of all, Cancel Vultures cannot ever apologize for being wrong. This would be worse than death. I have been invited onto U.S. and U.K television news outlets to discuss the situation with Miley and 'Bonfire of teenagers', but of course, there's no point. In truth, Miley has backed off for reasons unconnected to me, having had a major clash with a key figure in 'the circle'. I cannot give any details about the private fight because … it is private, after all.

Miley knew everything about me when she arrived to sing 'I Am Veronica' almost two years ago; she walked into the studio already singing the song. She volunteered. I did not ask her to get involved. Her professionalism was astounding, her vocals a joy to behold. Every minute that I spent with Miley was loving and funny. She asked if she could be in the 'Veronica' video. I was very honored. She told me that Morrissey songs are on 24-hour rotation in her house, and she had frequently been photographed in Morrissey t-shirts. Miley came into my world; I did not venture towards hers. I was eternally thankful, and even now, I remain so.

The campaign to destroy my career was originally led by four male individuals in Britain, each of whom have prominent positions on social media - and they have full unedited access to the Legacy Media. At some point, each one of them had hopes of a candle-lit friendship with me, and this did not happen. Their rage for attention then took a different turn. They want some form of Wikipedia mention as well as a future personal Index reference in 'Who Killed Morrissey?'. Yes, staggeringly, that is their goal.

Although the Left changed and deserted me many years ago, I am most certainly not Far Right, and I have not ever met anyone who claims to be Far Right. My politics are straightforward: I recognize realities. Some realities horrify me, and some do not, but I accept that I was not created so that others might gratify me and delight me with all that they think and do - what a turgid life that would be. I've been offended all of my life, and it has strengthened me, and I am glad. I wouldn't have the journey any other way. Only by hearing the opinions of others can we form truly rational views, and therefore we must never accept a beehive society that refuses to reflect a variety of views.

I am therefore sorry to report to some of you that I am absolutely not Far Right. If your wearisome echo disapproves of me not being Far Right, I wish you the hope that you deny yourself. Britain's 'Question Time' has thrown the red carpet my way six times asking me to appear on television to discuss the Left-Right divide, but I have always refused, and not least of all because I am sick to death of a debate that can never possibly resolve itself. I also refuse because I am apolitical, and if nothing else, I know my place.

I do not care very much about myself - and I never have. But the crucial point about 'Music as Art' is evident in life-changing music that has always happened before anyone expected it. The very best examples are the Sex Pistols, David Bowie, the Ramones, the Velvet Underground, Alice Cooper, and even the Dolls and Iggy: no one saw these monoliths coming, therefore the people discovered them before the industry had time to halt the fun. Now, alas, music cannot happen unless it adheres to strict industry guidelines, and this falsely assures the listening public that things could not possibly be better than they currently are. The infantilised world is delighted to stream music, but if they were asked to walk 50 yards to a record shop to access those very songs … they wouldn't bother to. However, the connection between the music industry and Cancel Vultures is that they both agree that their main job is to stop singers and bands from saying anything important. Respecting equal freedom for those that you control … is not freedom. Music as Art has now been destroyed because it expands public opinion, and thus, with the current Top 100 downloads … no bubbles can ever rise. Songs once kept listeners occupied for years, but this has been replaced by suspiciously instant stardom for anyone obedient enough to agree that babies are naturally born through the left ear. Proper artists need not apply. Imagination must be paralyzed, and saying nothing whatsoever is the only pathway to all music awards. Look for yourself.

Following Britain's 9/11 abomination at the Manchester Arena, Miley was asked to take part in the Don't Look Back In Anger event, and she refused. I asked her why she had refused, and she said "I am not into all that."

I write these words mainly for (but not directly about) my audience - who are the best and most incredible audience that anyone could dream of, and perhaps many onlookers are jealous of this fact. I have not ever voted for a political party in my life, and I have not ever joined a political party, and I have not ever attended a political rally. On the political stage, I do not exist: you have never seen me there and you never shall. I therefore do not mind in the least if you join the Morrissey haters - there is always the likelihood that I'd feel exactly the same way about you. But if you join forces with the Cancel Vultures, your only aim is to numb time, and your eyes are dead.

5 January 2023

unnamed-8+copy+10.jpg

Member @Cornflakes reminded us that Miley Cyrus actually did attend the One Love Manchester event.
For clarity:
May 22, 2017 - Bombing.
May 25, 2017 - spontaneously sung after a minutes silence in the city.
May 27, 2017 - sung during the Courteeners et al gig @ Old Trafford Cricket Ground.
June 4, 2017 - One Love Manchester concert.
September 9, 2017 - We Are Manchester benefit.
All featured "Don't Look Back In Anger".
It should be noted the "We Are Manchester" event was predominantly Manchester bands and there is no online evidence to support Miley Cyrus was invited/involved with said.

p054xvmz.jpg

First Central image by Stephen Shames.
Second Central image by Esparza.
Regards,
FWD.

Media items:

I have never supported FB or voted for them - but you are factually incorrect on the religious slaughter issue. Although FB is no more their manifesto is still freely accessible on the internet. Page 22 covers animal welfare.
Interestingly they describe themselves as a centre right party that believes in small government and individual liberty. Make of that what you will.

People share platforms with all sorts of people. Doesn´t mean they agree with them.
and was Morrissey's support of FB in 2022? Why are you posting a 2022 manifesto?

If you are going to state that Morrissey was enticed by FB's animal welfare policies then you should really be looking at the manifesto from the time he started supporting them shouldn't you?

You will find their policy in relation to Veal Crates and their intention to progress UK law to ban them. They were already banned towards the end of the 80s with the law being in place in 1990.

Wouldn't an animal rights activist be aware of that?

And you haven't still mentioned her links and speeches at Generation Identity groups

Just pointing out an occasion where you made yourself look rather silly. Anyway, In my opinion the AMW/Tommy Robinson/Nigel Frage stuff has turned a lot of people off in the UK, you think different, so let's just agree to disagree.
Could be, just stating that he played to more people in the UK in 2022 than he did on similar tours in 2011 or 1999. At much higher ticket prizes I may add.

So the facts say otherwise.

Morrissey has always had ups and downs in his career.

bu
Not talking about Johnny.

Just saying that the 2022 Tour attracted about the same audiences as other comparable tours like 2011 or 1999 when there was no new album to promote.
but the fact there isn't a new album to promote is surely a sign of a problem and drop in interest in him? If as you suggest his popularity is greater than in 1997 around the time of Maladjusted then surely there would be record labels and management companies fighting to get his album out there?

Have you heard of the pandemic?
In any case we are talking about UK tours here.

In 2020 he played rather well-sized UK venues.
why are you restricting this to UK tours?

Your original post that started this debate about stats was pointing out that he is more prolific in 2022 than he has been for a very long time. Why does that mean only UK? He is a global artist is he not?

Do you really want me to add up the number of gigs in the UK from 2006 t0 2019 and get a UK average per year? I think it will still prove the same point except maybe we won't have a total of 666, the number of the beast. You will still see a significant drop.

You can also if you like take out the pandemic years. Result will still be the same.

Could be, just stating that he played to more people in the UK in 2022 than he did on similar tours in 2011 or 1999. At much higher ticket prizes I may add.

So the facts say otherwise.

Morrissey has always had ups and downs in his career.
not to this extent

TWO of them, with a total of 22,000 tickets and neither was sold out. I think Leeds stage was brought forward and bits were curtained off to prevent the sight of lots of unsold seats hurting Moz's eyes.

It's a long way from 2018's 67,000 tickets - and many of those venues weren't sold out.

Bottom line is : Moz can pretend he's still "got it" by slapping SOLD OUT on smaller venues, but if he plays to 25,000 people over 9 shows, but that's still nowhere near as many tickets as 2018. His average venue size has gone from 9,000 in 2018 to 3,000 in 2022. That's not success. Unless you count success as 'Not Having To Work In The Manchester Tax Office'.

He seems to think the world owes him success, always blaming other peoples incompetence for his failures, and his own genius (and only his own genius) for his success. The fact his single got to number 73 isn't that he's being supressed by The Woke Police. It's that his core audience, basically older people that like to buy CD's and LP's, not downloads, are too old and lazy to buy MP3's. Much like all his once-contemporaries (PSB, Depeche, Cure, New Order, etc.), whose singles chart at numbers like 114 if they chart at all.

His career is pretty much at the same stage as Van Morrison's was 20 years ago : a heritage act who was once in a great band*, and who is now selling tickets on the basis of his past, not his present.

*Van was never great. Miserable old sausage.

Last edited:
In any case we are talking about UK tours here.

He played 2 and the Leeds date was far from sold out, according to the Yorkshire Post -

Where he would once fill venues such as the First Direct Arena in Leeds, his appeal has apparently lessened with the crowd far from capacity.

TWO of them, with a total of 22,000 tickets and neither was sold out. I think Leeds stage was brought forward and bits were curtained off to prevent the sight of lots of unsold seats hurting Moz's eyes.

It's a long way from 2018's 67,000 tickets - and many of those venues weren't sold out.

Bottom line is : Moz can pretend he's still "got it" by slapping SOLD OUT on smaller venues, but if he plays to 25,000 people over 9 shows, but that's still nowhere near as many tickets as 2018. His average venue size has gone from 9,000 in 2018 to 3,000 in 2022. That's not success. Unless you count success as 'Not Having To Work In The Manchester Tax Office'.

He seems to think the world owes him success, always blaming other peoples incompetence for his failures, and his own genius (and only his own genius) for his success. The fact his single got to number 73 isn't that he's being supressed by The Woke Police. It's that his core audience, basically older people that like to buy CD's and LP's, not downloads, are too old and lazy to buy MP3's. Much like all his once-contemporaries (PSB, Depeche, Cure, New Order, etc.), whose singles chart at numbers like 114 if they chart at all.

His career is pretty much at the same stage as Van Morrison's was 20 years ago : a heritage act who was once in a great band, and who is now selling tickets on the basis of his past, not his present.
Against you lazily compare 2018 to last years Tour and not to other tours before 2018 when he almost never played to 67000 people, except maybe 2004. A solid analysis takes into account more than just two random unrelated tours.

The very fact that Morrissey sold so many tickets in 2018 compared to tours before or after that tour shows that he is not a heritage act but is selling tickets on the basis of the present not the past.

Against you lazily compare 2018 to last years Tour and not to other tours before 2018 when he almost never played to 67000 people, except maybe 2004. A solid analysis takes into account more than just two random unrelated tours.

The very fact that Morrissey sold so many tickets in 2018 compared to tours before or after that tours shows that he is not a heritage act but is selling tickets on the basis of the present not the past.

2018 was the last tour in the UK that was comparable. That's not lazy.

2006 - 8 arena shows, 2 festivals,30 theatre shows
2008 - 7 shows : 6 small, 1 huge (Hyde Park)
2009 - 31 theatre and arena shows
2011 - 8 or so theatre shows + 2 outdoor festival shows
2015 - 9 or so mostly arena dates
2018 - 8 or so arena dates
2020 - 2 arena shows
2022 - 8 theatre shows

It's obvious to anyone with a brain that his appeal is becoming "more selective".

I mean, why not compare to the venues he was playing in 1983? He's a roaring success compared to that. Especially if you overlook things like inflation. As you do. 2011 tickets were about £50, which is, when adjusted to inflation, £70 in 2022. How much were tickets for 2022? £70.

I'll compare 2018 to 2022 because they are the two nearest tours where Moz played 8 or so dates in the UK. You just don't want me to compare because it shows that support and sales for Moz have shrunk enormously, and you don't like it.

Last edited:
2018 was the last tour in the UK that was comparable. That's not lazy.

I mean, why not compare to the venues he was playing in 1983? He's a roaring success compared to that. Especially if you overlook things like inflation. As you do. 2011 tickets were about £50, which is, when adjusted to inflation, £70 in 2022. How much were tickets for 2022? £70.

I'll compare 2018 to 2022 because they are the two nearest tours where Moz played 8 or so dates in the UK. You just don't want me to compare because it shows that support and sales for Moz have shrunk enormously, and you don't like it.
No not true, but as I said 2018 was on the back of a comeback album, and a (radio) hit single. Morrissey was back and there was huge interest. Much like 2004 or 2014. So you should compare the 2018 tours to those tours.

2022 was a tour without an album to promote, much like the tours he did in 2011 or 1999, so you should compare the 2022 tour to those tours.

It really isn’t rocket science.

No not true, but as I said 2018 was on the back of a comeback album, and a (radio) hit single. Morrissey was back and there was huge interest. Much like 2004 or 2014. So you should compare the 2018 tours to those tours.

2022 was a tour without an album to promote, much like the tours he did in 2011 or 1999, so you should compare the 2022 tour to those tours.

It really isn’t rocket science.

You want me to compare 2022 to 1999? Don't be daft. 1999 was before the Internet, everyone was watching bulky TV's on VHS, and about 1% of the world had a mobile phone. 1999 is nearer to the release of the first Star Wars movie than it is to today.

You want me to compare 2022 to 1999? Don't be daft. 1999 was before the Internet, everyone was watching bulky TV's on VHS, and about 1% of the world had a mobile phone. 1999 is nearer to the release of the first Star Wars movie than it is to today.
2011 I also mentioned ;)

There have been many other tours without an album to promote that you could the 2022 tour to.

The success of 2018 I would compare to other succesful tours around album releases.

It could be an interesting analysis.

2011 I also mentioned ;)

There have been many other tours without an album to promote.

You mean the 2011 where he played to about 130,000 people at Hop Farm / Glastonbury + about 20,000 theatre tickets vs 2022 where he played to about 22,000 people? Sure. Still doesn't look like he's a riproaring success compared to the past.

Moz's ticket sales have plummeted in the past few years : no amount of gymnastics on your part can escape that.

Look, Moz's ticket sales have plummeted in the past few years : no amount of gymnastics on your part can escape that.
Sure, when you play smaller venues less people will attend your shows. Nothing that hasn’t happened to Morrissey before.

The conclusions you draw are purely personal and have nothing to do with facts.

Sure, when you play smaller venues less people will attend your shows. Nothing that hasn’t happened to Morrissey before.

The conclusions you draw are purely personal and have nothing to do with facts.
Utter horseshit.

Just look at the size of the venues. Moz played 8 arenas in 2018 with 67,000 tickets (and struggled but managed to sell about 40,000), 2020 he couldn't even sell out 2 arenas (22,000 tickets, selling about 16,000), and 8 theatre sized venues with 22,000 tickets in 2022. His star is dimming in terms of ticket sales. Talk to some promoters - they'll put you right.

Utter horseshit.

Just look at the size of the venues. Moz played 8 arenas in 2018 with 67,000 tickets (and struggled but managed to sell about 40,000), 2020 he couldn't even sell out 2 arenas (22,000 tickets, selling about 16,000), and 8 theatre sized venues with 22,000 tickets in 2022. His star is dimming in terms of ticket sales. Talk to some promoters - they'll put you right.
Don’t tour for a few years, come back with a good album and a radio hit and he will be back to selling 40,000 easily. Any promoter would say so.

and was Morrissey's support of FB in 2022? Why are you posting a 2022 manifesto?

If you are going to state that Morrissey was enticed by FB's animal welfare policies then you should really be looking at the manifesto from the time he started supporting them shouldn't you?

You will find their policy in relation to Veal Crates and their intention to progress UK law to ban them. They were already banned towards the end of the 80s with the law being in place in 1990.

Wouldn't an animal rights activist be aware of that?

And you haven't still mentioned her links and speeches at Generation Identity groups

I have no idea about their policy pre the 2022 manifesto available on the internet. I would imagine though that their policy on religious slaughter didn´t come out of nowhere and was developing for some time. We can also assume that Moz and AMW had some sort of contact, whether face to face or virtual, and however brief. He was clearly of the opinion that she wasn´t far right. To be honest that´s good enough for me. She also doesn´t come across as far right or fascist from what I have seen of her on TV and on the internet. Do I agree with her on everything? No, not at all.
I also differ in my outlook from you in a key way. I don´t view some opinions as acceptable and others as unacceptable. There are simply opinions I agree with and opinions I disagree with. Maybe some opinions I would view as a bit crazy. Some just plain wrong. But acceptable or unacceptable? Who gets to decide that? You? The Guardian?
Are some opinions dangerous? Maybe. But again, that´s all a matter of opinion. To some, Marx is dangerous. To some, Nietzsche is dangerous. To some, rock and roll is dangerous.
I have no idea about her links with Generation Identity. But isn´t that guilt by association? I have a leftie friend who loves Jeremy Corbyn. The media condemned him for sharing a stage with all sorts of unsavoury people. I don´t like that game on the whole. Judge politicians by their public statements and policies, not by who they may or may not share a platform with.

Don’t tour for a few years, come back with a good album and a radio hit and he will be back to selling 40,000 easily. Any promoter would say so.

Er... which is why his 2020 2 date arena run - on the back of the #4 California Son and #3 I Am Not A Dog On A Chain LP's had to be papered with ticket giveaways and half-empty arenas with curtained off backs and the stage brought forward. "BUT AT LEAST HE WAS PLAYING ARENAS!!!!!"

Half empty arenas.

Er... which is why his 2020 2 date arena run - on the back of the #4 California Son and #3 I Am Not A Dog On A Chain LP's had to be papered with ticket giveaways and half-empty arenas with curtained off backs and the stage brought forward. "BUT AT LEAST HE WAS PLAYING ARENAS!!!!!"

Half empty arenas.
Again terrible analysis. The pandemic had started, I was in Cologne. Many people decided not to go because of fear of getting infected.

It was a miracle these took place at all.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom