When did Morrissey discover vegetarianism and animal rights?

Fulham Road Lights

Ill-adjusted
Anyone know how old he was when he decided not to eat meat? Or was it something that his family shared?

He saw a documentary on slaughterhouses when he was around 10, I believe.

From a 1985 interview with Dan Matthews:

DM: How long have you been a vegetarian?

Morrissey: I became a vegetarian when I was about 11 or 12 years old. My mother was a staunch vegetarian as long as I can remember. We were very poor and I thought that meat was a good source of nutrition. Then I learned the truth. I guess you could say I repent for those years now.

DM: So it was your mother who first interested you in the animal rights movement, or did you find out about it on your own?

Morrissey: I would definitely say that my mother started me. She’s very active. She often goes on anti-hunt rallies in the U.K. She has influenced me very much.

http://www.peta2.com/heroes/morrissey-interview/

He has also claimed over the years that seeing a documentary on slaughterhouses when he was young was a major factor in his decision to stop eating meat.

I loved Autobiography, but I was really hoping for more background on his vegetarianism as well.

Yes - this was notable from it's absence in the autobiography - but I don't think he could bring himself to admit in print that he *ever* ate meat. :(

Yes - this was notable from it's absence in the autobiography - but I don't think he could bring himself to admit in print that he *ever* ate meat. :(

I do wonder if that’s the case. I was just hoping for more background. Also, I know it’s been asked many times...but he IS NOT vegan right?

I do wonder if that’s the case. I was just hoping for more background. Also, I know it’s been asked many times...but he IS NOT vegan right?

Last year he was eating Cheezits on stage ( or was it 2012?). However, I've heard that he is a vegan now.

The PETA cartoon he played before the show on this tour did say "go vegan".

He doesn't wear leather anymore and won't sit on a leather chair.

I know I'm far from alone in saying that Morrissey was the reason I went vegetarian when I was 13 years old, and outside of my parents' parenting, that's probably the most significant and lasting impact anyone has had on my life. It's now 25 years later, and I've been vegan for 4 years. When I realized how incredibly easy* it was to transition from vegetarian to vegan, I thought of Morrissey, who'd indirectly taken me to that place. My decisions are for my life and for no one else, but I have hoped that he would eventually give up all animal products. Having seen his tour rider from 2013 I can say with certainty that he was not vegan then, but if things have changed since then, bravo. If not, well, nothing can change the impact he had on my own views regarding animals, as well as countless others!

*Not to say that things are only worth doing if they're easy, but I spent 20+ years thinking it would be next to impossible to not eat eggs or dairy. I was very wrong.

If he's not a vegan then I really don't understand why. He has the money to hire a private chef to cook him amazing vegan meals and have endless trips to whole foods. It doesn't matter if the cheese is vegetarian from a small farm in New Zealand, that milk was meant for a calf, who was certainly sent to a veal farm.

The image from Farm to Fridge that affected me the most was the Dairy segment, when a calf went to nurse and a man violently pushed it away. I don't know how Morrissey could screen that behind him and continue to consume dairy.

Last year he was eating Cheezits on stage ( or was it 2012?). However, I've heard that he is a vegan now.

The PETA cartoon he played before the show on this tour did say "go vegan".

He doesn't wear leather anymore and won't sit on a leather chair.

I actually just rewatched that bit with Russell Brand tonight and didn’t notice that leather chair part last time. Funny.

I know I'm far from alone in saying that Morrissey was the reason I went vegetarian when I was 13 years old, and outside of my parents' parenting, that's probably the most significant and lasting impact anyone has had on my life. It's now 25 years later, and I've been vegan for 4 years. When I realized how incredibly easy* it was to transition from vegetarian to vegan, I thought of Morrissey, who'd indirectly taken me to that place. My decisions are for my life and for no one else, but I have hoped that he would eventually give up all animal products. Having seen his tour rider from 2013 I can say with certainty that he was not vegan then, but if things have changed since then, bravo. If not, well, nothing can change the impact he had on my own views regarding animals, as well as countless others!

*Not to say that things are only worth doing if they're easy, but I spent 20+ years thinking it would be next to impossible to not eat eggs or dairy. I was very wrong.

I eventually would like to be vegan. I know it’s the right choice, as cliche as that sounds. Me, my wife, and both of my kids (age 8 and 4) haven’t eaten meat in 7 years.

Curious to see what was on his tour rider. I saw that one from ’86 and had a chuckle with the “thinly sliced cheese sandwiches” part.

The band nearly starved then being vegetarian never mind vegan!

It's not that hard to be vegan today, actually.

Curious to see what was on his tour rider. I saw that one from ’86 and had a chuckle with the “thinly sliced cheese sandwiches” part.

I wish I could share it, but I really can't. I hate to be THAT PERSON, but it was sent to me in confidence as a catering assistant (the show was canceled, alas). I can say that it specified orange Jarritos, Cheez-Its, and unsalted (EW!) potato chips.

I wish I could share it, but I really can't. I hate to be THAT PERSON, but it was sent to me in confidence as a catering assistant (the show was canceled, alas). I can say that it specified orange Jarritos, Cheez-Its, and unsalted (EW!) potato chips.

Fair enough! I had a small bag of Cheez-Its today, great minds think alike.

edit: double EW at unsalted potato chips.

From this tour? Lord above does he love junk food. He doesn't look it.

Oh I really wish you could share!

Back
Top Bottom