When did M’s career go tits up?

Should M throw in the towel?

Discuss
No, but he should either self-release at this point or actually learn how to work professionally with record companies. This public bashing of them and blaming everyone else for his lack of success seems to just distance him further from the deals he so clearly still wants.

No, but he should either self-release at this point or actually learn how to work professionally with record companies. This public bashing of them and blaming everyone else for his lack of success seems to just distance him further from the deals he so clearly still wants.

Agreed. There's no reason why he shouldn't self-release his albums. None.

Agreed. There's no reason why he shouldn't self-release his albums. None.

Yes, I believe in his ‘WMTWDies’ Central post
it was stated ‘they’ were looking into ways to self release it, so it seems this is what will happen (?) hopefully.

‘There is no record label as yet for the project, and ways to attain global distribution are being researched.

Which doesn’t mean he’ll stop bashing record companies for being recorded companies. Lol.

Yes, I believe in his ‘WMTWDies’ Central post
it was stated ‘they’ were looking into ways to self release it, so it seems this is what will happen (?) hopefully.

‘There is no record label as yet for the project, and ways to attain global distribution are being researched.

Which doesn’t mean he’ll stop bashing record companies for being recorded companies. Lol.

When I first saw that, 'being researched', I thought it was funny actually. I figured it just meant he just hasn't made the choice to go the self-release route yet, because there shouldn't be that much 'research' involved. The question is can he actually make that choice to move beyond labels(?), because let's face it - they're not even close to being as capable today as labels were in the 1960s through 90s - and will most likely always disappoint him in some way.

You're right, but I think it would be simpler for him to find a tiny record label that will do it for a very small cut and already has the distribution set up.

That is true also. Though, he likes to have the label promote his stuff, so let's not make that record label too small. :) I do like your point though, because it makes me think of Rough Trade Records and how The Smiths were their flagship artist. Morrissey could essentially do that for another smaller/indie label, even in the twilight of his career, and that would not be a bad thing.

Either way, they know they are going to sell X amount of copies - even if X is something 'small' like 200,000 - from a Morrissey album. He's got enough $$$ to fund the project, plus can probably conjure up some favors from people in the industry who respect him - like audio engineers, etc. So, I would think the distribution (if self-releasing) would be the easier part rather than him balancing some kind of multi-year contract with one of today's labels, which has been his goal forever but lately seems to always fall short.

Last edited:
When I first saw that, 'being researched', I thought it was funny actually. I figured it just meant he just hasn't made the choice yet to go the self-release route yet, because there shouldn't be that much 'research' involved. The question is can he actually make that choice to move beyond labels(?), because let's face it - they're not even close to being as capable today as labels were in the 1960s through 90s - and will most likely always disappoint him in some way.

That is true also. Though, he likes to have the label promote his stuff, so let's not make that record label too small. :) I do like your point though, because it makes me think of Rough Trade Records and how The Smiths were their flagship artist. Morrissey could essentially do that for another smaller/indie label, even in the twilight of his career, and that would not be a bad thing.

Either way, they know they are going to sell X amount of copies - even if X is something 'small' like 200,000 - from a Morrissey album. He's got enough $$$ to fund the project, plus can probably conjure up some favors from people in the industry who respect him - like audio engineers, etc. So, I would think the distribution (if self-releasing) would be the easier part rather than him balancing some kind of multi-year contract with one of today's labels, which has been his goal forever but lately seems to always fall short.

Do you seriously think Morrissey would sell 200k records, his last album sold 6700 in the UK and didn't even make the charts in the US, I don't think he's sold 200k since Quarry in 2004

Do you seriously think Morrissey would sell 200k records, his last album sold 6700 in the UK and didn't even make the charts in the US, I don't think he's sold 200k since Quarry in 2004
Quarry sold 1,2 million worldwide, Ringleader about 750K and Refusal about 400K I would guess.

Since then streaming has taken over from physical sales, so it's hard to tell the numbers or the significance of the numbers.

I think he could sell 500k of his next record, maybe more if he releases it himself. It's not hard to do at all.

Not necessarily, I was just throwing out a number :) I don't look at album-sales statistics much, or ever.

I love the Animal House pic.

Last edited:
Why do you think he could suddenly sell 500k?

I know I'll be buying one, if they are able to be purchased.

Not speaking to you (BFrame) directly here --- let's not just think in terms of 'albums sold' either, especially with streaming services today - number of 'songs sold' also counts towards a successful release.

Quarry sold 1,2 million worldwide, Ringleader about 750K and Refusal about 400K I would guess.

Since then streaming has taken over from physical sales, so it's hard to tell the numbers or the significance of the numbers.

Not really, streams count towards sales and you can still see if an album has gone Platinum, Gold or Silver.

Would laugh my bollocks off if Mozzballs self released his albums. That would be the end of it for him. It would crush him.

Would laugh my bollocks off if Mozzballs self released his albums. That would be the end of it for him. It would crush him.
IMO Morrissey albums are never going to sell in huge quantities again. But they will do the same sort of sales regardless of how they are released. None of his recent albums have profited from ingenious hype and marketing.

Back
Top Bottom