When did M’s career go tits up?

Irresponsible journalism & a malicious harassment campaign is bigger than Morrissey & you might have zero ethics but most professional people can see the problem which is why certain quarters are starting to go incredibly silent.
Who has gone silent? Where? More claims you can't substantiate.

He's a man with a big mouth who has tramped through life courting "controversy" at every corner, actively trying to piss people off for publicity and it worked. What you're doing is simply blaming a grown man's own decisions and statements on the Big Bad Wolf. Oh he was lied to, he was stitched up, he's too stupid to understand the Internet, he didn't know what he was getting into, his nephew is manipulating him... anything to avoid responsibility. Absolutely pathetic.

Speaking as a gentleman of experience, an observation: There has always been a group of people that feel let down by Morrissey. Ever since he emerged into the light, people have projected their own thing onto him and then fallen in love with the reflection he offered. Often its a bottomless deep and tender love ....... and then some are scorned. For some its part of growing up. It happens over and over. I've followed him closely since 1994. In 1997 people were saying he had changed, the Smiths split had changed him, then the court case had changed him, then moving to American had changed him. Most normal people hated Morrissey in those days. He wasn't a big act. If you wore a Morrissey T-Shirt someone would give you shit in the streets of London. He couldn't get a record deal. Everyone called him racists. Everyone thought he would just disappear. It was all over. Finished . Morrissey never changes. He remains dedicated to the pop song as artistic expression. Its his obsession. Its always the fans that change but they don't notice and some of them stick around to spoil the party like bitter ex-wives. Hes always said provocative stuff to get attention. He is catty and dramatic like that. Things appear to go in cycles though. This is just the down swing, just like 97. The group of people who feel let down is quite big at the moment just like it was then, he's playing the same size shows and people are saying he is not as good as he was. Its the was that changes. Over the years when the was was shifts a lot, if you follow me. If he comes back with a strong album with some catchy singles that capture a mood he might be top of the heap once again but it doesn't matter if he doesn't because he's done enough to live forever already anyway. I hope they combine these two albums and make a belter with some great b-sides (extra tracks). I honestly think if he presented record companies with the best 15 songs from 25 rather than the best 10 from 10 he'd have a queue begging him to sign.
Best post on this subject! Period. When this very website started, Morrissey was at a low point and deemed 'irrelevant' and called 'out of touch' with life. So many complaints on here that he had 'lost' it, and 'please not another song about court cases' etc etc.
Now 25 years later they are still complaining instead of just enjoying what is there.

Who has gone silent? Where? More claims you can't substantiate.

He's a man with a big mouth who has tramped through life courting "controversy" at every corner, actively trying to piss people off for publicity and it worked. What you're doing is simply blaming a grown man's own decisions and statements on the Big Bad Wolf. Oh he was lied to, he was stitched up, he's too stupid to understand the Internet, he didn't know what he was getting into, his nephew is manipulating him... anything to avoid responsibility. Absolutely pathetic.

He hasn't trended on Twitter for a year, the only pundit that bothers dragging him on a regular basis is David Quantick, the Guardian & the Independent are letting things slide by, more positive things are being said about him & no one can defend IPC's articles.

I italicise your line:

Indeed.

If Morrissey did not realise this, he does not deserve demonisation for mistakes that may be naive, but are easily forgivable. He can be faulted for them, yes. But they are not then hideous, unforgivable crimes, worthy of vilification, persecution and dragging him through the gutter for.
You're wrong.

Yes and so do Moz’ albums with his last four albums at 2, 5, 4 and 3
Those chart placings aren’t great though for an artist who pins absolutely everything on chart position, for some unknown reason - which is why he ends up boasting about being number 2 in tiny markets.

Cliff Richard’s last two albums placed higher than Morrissey’s last three in the UK. Two of Daniel O’Donnell’s last three albums have placed higher than Low in High School.

Those chart placings aren’t great though for an artist who pins absolutely everything on chart position, for some unknown reason - which is why he ends up boasting about being number 2 in tiny markets.

Cliff Richard’s last two albums placed higher than Morrissey’s last three in the UK. Two of Daniel O’Donnell’s last three albums have placed higher than Low in High School.
Congratulations ;)

Last edited:
They're not wrong.

And if he actually was guilty there would be more receipts - you wouldn't have to fall back on a badge, selective name-checks, editorialised quotes & an entirely debunked flag.
The difference is that people who point to the badge and the name checks are "falling back" on facts, things that have actually happened. You, on the other hand, are twisting reality to tell people that what they see and hear isn't real, that you know what you "think" he did, you think he was misled, you think he didn't know. You can't prove anything.

He hasn't trended on Twitter for a year, the only pundit that bothers dragging him on a regular basis is David Quantick, the Guardian & the Independent are letting things slide by, more positive things are being said about him & no one can defend IPC's articles.
Why would you see that as some sort of great silencing, some sign that a "day of reckoning" is coming for the press? Couldn't it just be that the Twitterati lost interest and Moz hasn't been on the radar much this year?

Why would you see that as some sort of great silencing, some sign that a "day of reckoning" is coming for the press? Couldn't it just be that the Twitterati lost interest and Moz hasn't been on the radar much this year?

Yes, literally nothing was happening in his world that anyone could comment on.... 🙄

The difference is that people who point to the badge and the name checks are "falling back" on facts, things that have actually happened. You, on the other hand, are twisting reality to tell people that what they see and hear isn't real, that you know what you "think" he did, you think he was misled, you think he didn't know. You can't prove anything.

It's not facts if you're heavily editing, exaggerating & adding in other things people have said & done. That's classic demonisation.

It's tough for any established artist to grow a new fanbase when their age is in their 60s. That being said, there's still enough living Morrissey fans on this planet to continue buying his albums and going to his concerts, and have him still make a living and keep creating more music. The multi-show Vegas and Harlem residencies in the last several years have proven that about Morrissey. I don't think he's going away as long as most of us stay put. I do not fully believe that his career is declining, not like others have mentioned. He's never been mainstream. Most mainstream artists' careers are short. Morrissey has been kept in this business for 40 years - because of us.

Now, I can totally understand how people question the quality of some of his most recent material, because we've been given quite the variety of sounds/genres/covers in the last decade. However, we'll be back on track (hopefully) with a Morrissey band album, being recorded now. In my opinion his last proper album was Low In High School, the last he did with his then current band lineup. Since then (as we all know), musicians playing on his albums have been a mix of some Morrissey band members but mostly hired hands.

For one, I'm happy to continue to buy the albums, and maybe I'll get to see him in concert again. I don't mind being supportive to a person who has supported me in my life, because in many ways he did exactly that.

I'd say having World Peace is None of Your Business deleted by the record company mere months after release surely signaled he had a problem when it came to maintaining positive working relationships within the recording industry.

I'd say having World Peace is None of Your Business deleted by the record company mere months after release surely signaled he had a problem when it came to maintaining positive working relationships within the recording industry.

That's a great album, it's a real shame how many people don't seem to really enjoy it. That album's release coincided with my second child being born, and I was so happy to have a good Morrissey album to listen to while I had a newborn around. Also, the B sides from that album were excellent, such as 'Forgive Someone'.

I remember when the label dropped the album, and was thankful that I managed to pick it up when it was first released. I still don't know why that happened, because it was a real return to form for Morrissey and the band (featuring then new addition Gustavo on keys, vocals, and flamenco guitar). It sounded great.

It’s difficult to express the curious effect Morrissey has had on me and the controversies and the rollercoaster career antics can’t change the fact that he is an artist I hold in high esteem. Announcements of the eclipse of his career are, of course, challenged by his powerful vocals and performance, so late into his life as a singer.

With Bonfire, I am bereft. Each LP is a gift to me and I appreciate them all in their different splendours and shortcomings. I can’t deal with this LP locked in limbo. It’s proof that I am forever grateful to Morrissey for piquing that interest in me. As the endless saga continues, it’s causing me more grief than goodness, but that is only fitting for a melancholy soul like Morrissey.

I regret the controversies and the setbacks. However, I can’t regret - or renounce - the profound effect that Morrissey has had on my life.

He hasn't trended on Twitter for a year
That was about Johnny, who I still dislike, but in retrospect Moz should probably thank him. Johnny did actually put Moz in a position where he looked like a victim and even had Dave Haslam joining in threatening to ruin Moz, it looked like part of what Morrissey was saying was true- the press were out to get him via Johnny this time and Johnny was cooperating, and it was still happening - but he squandered it all.

It’s like the bonus tracks on WPINOYB are leftover remnants from the 80s, 90s or 2000s. His old self shines through. The warmth, the empathy, the melodies. The album proper is made by a completely different person.

Should M throw in the towel?

Discuss
Nope. There's plenty of life in the old dog yet. This year alone brings the possibility of two new albums and a substantial tour. Let's see how things go before writing the obituary.

Back
Top Bottom