What's Your Music Format Of Choice?

What's Your Preferred Music Format?

• Total voters

Coiffeur_En_Flame

OK, so I've had many a debate about this issue. I'm a complete vinyl junkie, and I don't think you can beat the hiss and crackle of the needle as you press play on a turntable. CDs are so unromantic. But I'm all for democracy, so let's throw it open for the vote...

Coiff.

OK, so I've had many a debate about this issue. I'm a complete vinyl junkie, and I don't think you can beat the hiss and crackle of the needle as you press play on a turntable. CDs are so unromantic. But I'm all for democracy, so let's throw it open for the vote...

Coiff.

i like vinyl for when music was created for it. nowadays the music is meant to be crisp and clear. if not they get Visconti to recreate the old vinyl sound :eek:

it's like if you throw on a ROTT vinyl you get double the vinyl effect....what's the point?

Visonti belongs in the 70s...

sorry this is not about visconti...

i like vinyl for when music was created for it. nowadays the music is meant to be crisp and clear. if not they get Visconti to recreate the old vinyl sound :eek:

it's like if you throw on a ROTT vinyl you get double the vinyl effect....what's the point?

Visonti belongs in the 70s...

sorry this is not about visconti...

No it's not, but it's an interesting point. I do think that Visconti is of an era when the vinyl sound was king and that it's too late in his career to change his production style, but then Morrissey knew that. And I'm glad, because I like the sound of ROTT.

BUT...there is a thread for that conversation! Let's stay on topic here!

Coiff.

Prefer the sound/feel of vinyl...but I play my cassettes in the car. Some of them are at least 16 years old!

It is a treat to play vinyl, but I go for convenience. I listen to mp3's even though my stereo is right across the room. And I have tons of vinyl I seem to forget to play. Thanks for the thread. I really need to stop setting things on my turntable cover and start playing records again. I have hundreds of them, but when I listen to my stereo I go right to the CD rack. :o

Vinyl @ home , as i have around 35,000 LP's left in my collection

I would like to say vinyl but I don't own a record player (I have two vinyls), so I chose mp3 because it's cheap and portable.

Cassette. My parents always bought cassettes till the 00s. When I was a child I used to listen to my neighbours's vinyls on their record player...

I have shelves full of vinyl, but I never, ever listen to them anymore. I transfer any songs are vinyl-only to the computer, burn an AIFF CD, and then convert them to AAC for daily listening.

I still like CDs. I am a bit bothered by reports of certain CDs being mastered to sound "louder" by reducing the dynamic range, whereas the vinyl version is mastered for the full range. I think that Depeche Mode's latest was particularly guilty of this.

It is a treat to play vinyl, but I go for convenience. I listen to mp3's even though my stereo is right across the room. And I have tons of vinyl I seem to forget to play. Thanks for the thread. I really need to stop setting things on my turntable cover and start playing records again. I have hundreds of them, but when I listen to my stereo I go right to the CD rack. :o

I know what you mean. I don't think anything beats the sound of vinyl (what CDs were supposed to do, but didn't) and I love the tactile emotional experience of playing a proper record, but often I just don't bother. It's much easier to plug my FM transmitter into the iPod to channel through the stereo. The sound quality can be a bit poor, and the transmitter eats batteries like there's no tomorrow, but it's just easier. That sounds really lazy, I'm off to play some vinyl to purge my sins...

:eek::eek: 35,000! Wow, that's a LOT of records! How long has it taken you to amass that?

I have shelves full of vinyl, but I never, ever listen to them anymore. I transfer any songs are vinyl-only to the computer, burn an AIFF CD, and then convert them to AAC for daily listening.

I still like CDs. I am a bit bothered by reports of certain CDs being mastered to sound "louder" by reducing the dynamic range, whereas the vinyl version is mastered for the full range. I think that Depeche Mode's latest was particularly guilty of this.

I've never been a fan of CDs. I prefer them to download/digital, and buy them because I have no means of transferring vinyl-->computer, but I rarely play them after that. Whatever people say, the sound quality doesn't match that of vinyl. You're right about the mastering issue, and I did notice it on Playing The Angel and a few other recent ones. It's incredibly annoying, especially when you're burning a mix-CD and have to keep adjusting volume levels :mad:.

Anyone still use cassettes as their main playing medium?

Coiff.

I know what you mean. I don't think anything beats the sound of vinyl (what CDs were supposed to do, but didn't) and I love the tactile emotional experience of playing a proper record, but often I just don't bother.

I have to confess that even if I hadn't been a CD aficionado before discovering Last.fm, I would be one now. It bugs me to listen to CDs in the car or on the CD players in my kids' rooms, knowing that my play counts won't be updated...

joanofarcswalkman said:

"Left"?!? So you once had more? I've known only one person with anywhere near that many, and that's because he was a DJ for many years.

I have to confess that even if I hadn't been a CD aficionado before discovering Last.fm, I would be one now. It bugs me to listen to CDs in the car or on the CD players in my kids' rooms, knowing that my play counts won't be updated...

I don't understand this last.fm business. Does it get info from iTunes or something? Presumably it can't tell how many times you've played a CD? Things were much simpler back in the day... :confused:

Coiff.

"Left"?!? So you once had more? I've known only one person with anywhere near that many, and that's because he was a DJ for many years.

Yes , once had over 150,000 LP's in the collection, but have pared it down to 35k :eek:

Considering i no longer have a turntable its the cd
but if i did it would be vinyl as most of my music is on that format

i don;t own an ipod i hate them!

Uh... CDs if I really really like the music. Mostly download MP3s now though.

I owned a small stack of 7" singles, and a single album. I'm noT going to tell you what It was, it was really awFul top Forty stuff ANd it's too embarrassing, but it was a cut-out so it was nearlY free at about $2. I also had the "Pete's Dragon" soundtrack on LP. And as a teenager I hauled my parents huge old 8track boombox into my room and listened to the Beatles.

Later on, I weighed very carefull whether an album was good enough to spend the extra money on the CD versus cassette. Needless to say, all my Moz and Smiths were on CD. Well... except the first two I bought, Strangeways and Viva Hate I bought on cassette before I owned a CD player.

Other than vinyl i prefer Magnetic Tape , AAC Encoding , then Mp3 for portable music.
iPods? own a few but i do still have 8 track , cassette , DAT and MD players that i use quite a bit as well .

who still has a reel to reel ?

Vinyl has a natural enemy in heat...

Cassettes have a natural enemy in Magnetism...

CDs have a natural enemy in anything that scratches plus human fingerprints....

I prefer for prosterity...several digital copies....

but FLAC just sucks, and is pointless...it just takes up too much hard disk space....

and WMA is stupid because of the "licensing" Crap...BTW, if anybody needs assistance getting around that Fascism...drop me a PM...I have the remedy to that poison

wax cylinder

gordonfl5.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom