What's your favourite unknown band?

Naomi Ilsbroux

Hello everybody!

I think that everyone knows a band or a singer that's really good, but unfortunately unknown. So my question is clearly, I think.
So, write down your favourite unknown bands and maybe they become more famous... ;)

Let's start with mine:
-Baxter Dury: He's an English singer and the son of Ian Dury. You can describe his music as Serge Gainsbourg in English.

-Hooverphonic: This is a Belgian band who plays especially symphonic music. They have fans all over the world, but maybe you still don't know them.

Sister Crayon, they are amaaaaaaaazing live. Just finished their second LP, haven't heard it yet. This song is always a hit with the crowd. They're from Stockton I believe. Or Oakland? Nor Cal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I know Sister Crayon :)
Couple of my friends are into that stuff.
Pretty good stuff from California(woot woot)

Stephen Steinbrink from Arizona, USA. Beautiful music. Singer of the band French Quarter, also from AZ and also amazing. Very underrated. CHECK OUT you won't regret it

stephensteinbrink.bandcamp.com

Hey, I know Sister Crayon :)
Couple of my friends are into that stuff.
Pretty good stuff from California(woot woot)

Ohhh they're sooo amazing. I saw them the first time when they opened for Built to Spill at the Glasshouse in Pomona. I walked in and they were already playing, I nudged myself as close as possible because I was completely mesmerized by their energy. The lead singer Terra Lopez is the least pretentious person on the planet. Just so into the music, not posturing or trying to be a rock band or whatever, just feeling and making music. It's refreshing. I've caught every SoCal show since and haven't been disappointed.

Here's the live version of thief-boxer on a bright stage in the middle of the day most likely playing to 20 bored college kids, but she doesn't give a shit, she's there to rock the f*** out and I LOVE that. She's completely self-taught, learned how to sing listening to Fiona Apple albums. She met her once, there's a sweet interview where she talks about it and Fifi was totally sweet to her and wanted to hear about the letter she wrote, Terra was in tears and losing her mind and Fiona just smiled and listened. I love that she had such a positive experience meeting her idol because she just seems so honest and into music for the right reasons. Bleh I'm yammering on tired as f***, but definitely check them out. I hope they don't become too famous.

Good topic for a thread.

My favorite unknown band is Perfume Genius.They're from Seattle.
It's mostly just one guy-Mike Hadreas-who does the main singing, keyboards, and songwriting.
Very emotional, gutsy music. Mike has cited Morrissey and Ian Curtis as big influences on him.

We saw them perform in a small college bar outside of Dallas earlier this year, just on a whim, and it was an incredible show. Half of the audience was in tears at the end, myself included.

"Take Me Home"

D-sisive

Sage Francis

and MC Lars

But maybe not much love for underground hip-hop here, not sure.

These four young ladies...

And, of course, Daughter (although I don't know how 'unknown' they are by now)...

I have a new music crush I discovered yesterday in a gift shop in Cambria. Emily Wells. The music is sort of Portisheadish/ethereal with a beautiful, strong deep voice. I noticed at the counter there was a stack of CDs that said "Now Playing" and it was indicating the music was Lana Del Rey. I said "This is Lana Del Rey? She's amazing." and the girl said "NO. This is who is playing!" and switched the CD cover and I was so relieved because Lana was a total weirdo on SNL. :p Anyway the girl and I got to talking and Emily Wells is playing at the Echo next month so I bought the CD. Plan to listen to it on permarepeat on the drive home it caught my attention to that degree.

Agent Ribbons

This is Family Haircut. If you don't the music, the video is entertaining

Back
Top Bottom