What's your favorite Smiths album and what's your least favorite and why

Re: What's your favorite Smiths album and what's your least favorite and why.

My first album of the Smiths I bought in 1986, Meat is Murder, absolutely changed the game for me, I was a wee teenager then, not clumsy and shy, but we all remember those days, sheesh, what a time.

Favourite: The Queen Is Dead. Every song a gem.

Least favourite: The World Won't Listen. (And I don't.)

Favorite: It's a toss up between The Queen is Dead and Strangeways, Here We Come. Both of these albums are brilliant. For me, it's impossible to pick one over the other. Both clever and touching albums - and they hold a lot of tender memories.

Least Favorite: The Smiths - Though it contains a lot of great songs, I feel it's a little drab compared to the others. And the sound of the band isn't as great, either.

Hatful of Hallow and the World Won't Listen had not been released in the US at the time when Louder than the Bombs was released and Louder than the Bombs was originally not supposed to have been released in the UK.
hmm, its been around 30 years or so, but I do seem to remember going to these things called "record stores" :eek:
and the ones I went had sections of them devoted to "imports" and that way I always had music my friends did not have :guitar:
though if they liked it they could record from my cassette to one of their own :thumb:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_R0Kvk7G9U‎[/video]

Used to be Hatful Of Hollow but I think some of that's not held up so well over time, it's still got my favourite song on though. Now I listen to Meat is Murder, The Queen Is Dead and Strangeways just as much as each other. All still brilliant albums. Least favourite the first one, great album still though.

Favourite: Strangeways, Here We Come.

Least favourite: The Smiths.

Favourite - Meat is Murder ... I've always enjoyed Morrissey's more robust work ( I much prefer albums like YA , SG and YOR to anything the Smiths ever did ). I generally find the Smiths work too thin musically. On MIM ,the songs are generally more up-tempo , the whole album feels more varied and where familiar furrows are ploughed ( i.e. WIW , TJIFA ,) , it seems all the more striking and affecting because of the sharp contrast created.

Least Favourite - The Smiths. Shithouse production renders the album flat and lifeless. I hardly ever listen to any songs from it.

Queen Is Dead and Strangeways and Meat is murder. The 80's was awful.

Back
Top Bottom