What's the saddest song you've ever heard in your life?

• Thread starter Justin Playfair
  • Start date
I don't know which one is the saddest I've EVER heard, but these two were the first sad songs that I ever remember hearing...

Last edited by a moderator:
"Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," Gordon Lightfoot

I don't know which one is the saddest I've EVER heard, but these two were the first sad songs that I ever remember hearing...

"Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," Gordon Lightfoot

^^^^^^ Great picks!

I think this song is sad in its own way. Sad & beautiful.

"Glad to See You" by America

- The audio is a little low but the song still shines through. The audio picks up as song goes along.

-This song gets better & better as it goes along.

-Produced by George Martin.

Justin - I find the Lightfoot song to be sad since it's a true story. Very literal, I know.

Justin - I find the Lightfoot song to be sad since it's a true story. Very literal, I know.

I agree with you, Kellee. The fact that the song is a true story makes it even sadder. It's my stepbrother Mike's favorite song of all-time.

"Sundown" by Gordon Lightfoot is another sad & beautiful song. I wish I had time to post it.

This song is sad because this guy lives in a town with no barber.

Probably not the saddest I've ever heard, but very sad to me...a classic of sadness. The saddest thing is missing someone who was never really there. :straightface:

"On the roadside by the wreckage

with my head in my hands"

"Crimson" by Morcheeba

"Hellbound, hopeless for you

nothing left to hold onto

Hellbound, helpless its true

this crimson crystal view"

this song like.... encompasses all the sadness I've had over the past few years just so perfectly somehow? It just *sounds* lonely.

even though this is in french.... I still knew what it was about when I first heard it and was instantly reduced to tears.

and this song is just a punch in the face :tears:

Lyrically this isn't an easy song to listen to. It isn't for me. But its a damn good song.

"I'm So Gone" by Jackie Greene

And of course – the suicide song.

-At exactly the one minute mark this song becomes absolutely beautiful, and stays that way.

"Nerve Endings" by Kristin Hersh

It's about names of places that sound like states of emotional anguish and someone dies. People celebrate the death of the person. I can't think of the title.

Sentiment by Crass
I don't know if it's sadder than any other nuclear war song with grim imagery, but it's almost frightening in the intensity of its mourning the fate of the world. And it makes the "carnivororous/indifference to nature/pro-WMD" personality trait link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mfgvfONA9g

And if we can have a cheesy "tearjerker"
The Hapless Child by Michael Mantler (feat. Robert Wyatt)
The Edward Gorey booklet with music that sucks all the black comedy out of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok_2_ROh8nQ

Posted this before but reposting to this thread. The Riverman ends the narrative to this song.

Back
Top Bottom