what's the best shoegazer band?

what is a 'shoegazer' band?
(I know Slowdive & My Bloody Valentine's music though, but I've never heard anyone call 'em 'shoegazer'. So..it's kind of dreamy?)

In early 90s British music press started calling some indie-guitar bands as shoegazers because they're often looking down while playing live rather than facing to the audience.

Pervomartovtsi said:
you've got a lot to learn wolve

It's not in my origin to give other names to genres which already have an international name :p

what is a 'shoegazer' band?
(I know Slowdive & My Bloody Valentine's music though, but I've never heard anyone call 'em 'shoegazer'. So..it's kind of dreamy?)
Shoegaze
"Shoegaze is a genre of late '80s and early '90s British indie rock, named after the bands' motionless performing style, where they stood on stage and stared at the floor while they played. But shoegaze wasn't about visuals -- it was about pure sound. The sound of the music was overwhelmingly loud, with long, droning riffs, waves of distortion, and cascades of feedback. Vocals and melodies disappeared into the walls of guitars, creating a wash of sound where no instrument was distinguishable from the other. Most shoegaze groups worked off the template My Bloody Valentine established with their early EPs and their first full-length album, Isn't Anything, but Dinosaur Jr., the Jesus & Mary Chain, and the Cocteau Twins were also major influences. Bands that followed -- most notably Ride, Lush, Chapterhouse, and the Boo Radleys -- added their own stylistic flourishes. Ride veered close to '60s psychedelia, while Lush alternated between straight pop and the dream pop of the Cocteau Twins. Almost none of the shoegazers were dynamic performers or interesting interviews, which prevented them from breaking through into the crucial U.S. market. In 1992 -- after the groups had dominated the British music press and indie charts for about three years -- the shoegaze groups were swept aside by the twin tides of American grunge and Suede, the band to initiate the wave of Britpop that ruled British music during the mid-'90s. Some shoegazers broke up within a few years (Chapterhouse, Ride), while other groups -- such as the Boo Radleys and Lush -- evolved with the times and were able to sustain careers into the late '90s."

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:2680

shoegaze the term was actually started by a review of the band moose, who couldn't help shoegazing cos the lyrics to the songs were taped to the floor!

dreampop is a term that can be used to describe some shoegaze, but it's by no means the same thing (i.e. you can hardly call the cocteau twins shoegaze).

I hate everything shoegazing. All that f***ing apathy. Along with "post-rock" (how f***ing makey-uppy does that sound?), the shittiest sub-genre.
I'm sure there are many sadcore/slowcore, ambient, and drone artists (not to speak of 20bpm funeral-doom metalists) who would love hearing that! :rolleyes:

Really, dazzak, it's only a matter of temperament -- some of us just prefer the 'removed' mind-feel of introtensive* music over shakin' booty to waggish pop. That's all.

Viva apathy!

*I am allowed to invent words.

Could you compare postrock to shoegazer music? is it the same? or is the former harder?

Could you compare postrock to shoegazer music? is it the same? or is the former harder?
They're apples and oranges, wolve. Myself, I would be more interested in hearing poprenaissance discourse on the hairsbreadths between dream-pop, space-rock, and ambient-pop. :p

MBV!!!!

I was at a Mazarin gig a few months ago in Dublin and in walked Kevin Shields. He's a friend of Quentin's from the band and had let him borrow soome equipment for the gig. Anyway, i couldn't help myself and went up Kevin at the bar - basically said Loveless is brill etc. etc. Now considering how many people must do this to the guy, he proved to be really friendly and gracious. Cool guy!

john squire when he was in the stone roses was brilliant

1) ride
2) my bloody valentine
3) verve (yes I think they sounded really shoegaze in '92-'93 and were briliant at that time)
4) slowdive
5) pale saints
6) lush
7) curve
8) chapterhouse
9) swervedriver
10) moose

Back
Top Bottom