What's the apeal in Morrissey's lyrics for women ?

I've only read a few posts here so I don't know the exact gist of this thread, but sometimes he just NAILS it for women. This morning I heard November Spawned a Monster on internet radio and this site has sort of ruined it for me because it's become "that video where Morrissey's all gayed out and chocolatey" but these lines this morning made me go :eek:

oh one fine day
LET IT BE SOON
she won't be rich or beautiful
but she'll be walking your streets
in the clothes that she went out
and chose for herself

That's the magic of Morrissey's appeal to women I think. It's kinda difficult to describe, for me at least, but I like hearing what other women think. I'm just at work now.

I don't see why this comment has angered people. The title of the thread is a question, I gave my answer. My answer from my point of view, as a man.

I think (again, I.. me... I think) he is "essentially a mans artist" because he is a man and has experienced and sung about his experiences as a man.

When I said "men understand this and women don't" I meant that men understand Morrissey's lyrics from a mans point of view. Women don't because, being women, they can't. As I said in the original comment, I wasn't trying to be rude or condescending. I just gave my opinion.
If you don't like it, ignore it. There is no reason to be hostile and rude towards me. What's the point in being negative? Neither of you asked me to clarify my comments, you just went off the deep end and slagged me off.

Yeah, I've only been here 5 minutes. 4.59 of that has been nice. This last second my stay has been tainted by undeserved hostility and negativity.

If I offended, I'm sorry.

And we were just expressing our (me, we, I) opinions on your opinion.

He might be a man but he is at the end of the day, a human being. Men and women experience the same sort of emotions in life and essentially that is what M deals with. I can understand that he is often seen an outlet for the unsaid in a lot of men but I relate to that too.

Perhaps an overreaction from all parties stemming from mutual passion for the man?

I can totally understand certain men relating to Morrissey / The Smiths lyrics.

They are often about not fitting into the typical 'Male/Macho' stereotype and the emotional problems this can cause.

But what do women get from his lyrics ?

This is a genuine question and not meant to wind anyone up.
Would you like some dinner rolls?

absolutely no characteristic or behavior is specific to one gender.

except for sexual organs sometimes but Morrissey only sings about them in the form of 'explosive kegs'.

the end.

Huh? Who on earth do you think you are? Having a go at me for swearing? Then trying to belittle anyone who gets slighty irate at this ridiculous thread. Pathetic sad little person you must be.

See? It's not nice being told to f*** off for no reason is it?

You can't criticise me considering I quoted the offending part of your post pretty much word for word.

PS I wouldn't start a post criticising someone swearing by saying 'f***' twice in the opening sentence, which is why I didn't criticise you swearing. I think you'll find your language is the least of your problems.

Last edited:
I've only read a few posts here so I don't know the exact gist of this thread, but sometimes he just NAILS it for women. This morning I heard November Spawned a Monster on internet radio and this site has sort of ruined it for me because it's become "that video where Morrissey's all gayed out and chocolatey" but these lines this morning made me go :eek:

oh one fine day
LET IT BE SOON
she won't be rich or beautiful
but she'll be walking your streets
in the clothes that she went out
and chose for herself

That's the magic of Morrissey's appeal to women I think. It's kinda difficult to describe, for me at least, but I like hearing what other women think. I'm just at work now.

:love:

Dear me this thread has been accidentally revived!:eek:

Quick quick ah got one. Rommel didn't use Rimmel therefore women can't understand Morrissey properly.

(Not Godwin but that should do to kill it :thumb: for a while)

I think anyone who says Morrissey can't appeal to women is missing the whole point of Morrissey.

But this thread is silly anyway.

I don't think it is silly, this is what Moz himself has said

Why don't you write songs for women?

I'd always believed, obviously erroneously, that I WAS singing and writing for everybody. But after the thousandth person came up and said, "why don't you write songs for women?" I had to confess I was wrong. I've always felt that I write in a universal language that's relevant to every sex, race and creed. Oh well, another myth strikes the dust.

http://foreverill.com/interviews/1987/goodbye.htm

Fail. Darn it. :mad: I knew Rommel wasn't nazi enough to terminate anything.

Ok here goes: Adolf's German Sheperd wasn't a sheperdess, and even if it was, everyone called it Gerhard. That's why girls can't relate to a track like "National Bavarian Front Disco".

Jesus, it's exhausting work, trying to stop a thread.:squiffy:

I don't think it is silly, this is what Moz himself has said

Why don't you write songs for women?

I'd always believed, obviously erroneously, that I WAS singing and writing for everybody. But after the thousandth person came up and said, "why don't you write songs for women?" I had to confess I was wrong. I've always felt that I write in a universal language that's relevant to every sex, race and creed. Oh well, another myth strikes the dust.

http://foreverill.com/interviews/1987/goodbye.htm

Could be that the people coming up to him and saying that are just stuck into the narrow minded view of men and women that a lot of people are.
I don't think there's any such thing as a male or female brain. If there were really obvious differences we wouldn't need to expend so much energy marking a difference between the sexes (dressing kids up to look different, giving them different coloured bikes and so on). There's no reason on earth why women wouldn't be able to identify with Morrissey's lyrics just as much as men. Morrissey was right before the idiots started putting their oar in.

Could be that the people coming up to him and saying that are just stuck into the narrow minded view of men and women that a lot of people are.

Exactly.

I don't think there's any such thing as a male or female brain. If there were really obvious differences we wouldn't need to expend so much energy marking a difference between the sexes (dressing kids up to look different, giving them different coloured bikes and so on).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/jun/16/neuroscience.psychology

Apparently, straight females and gay males share similar brain structures and functions. So do straight males and lesbians.

I think Morrissey's brain must be a bit of an anomaly. :D

There's no reason on earth why women wouldn't be able to identify with Morrissey's lyrics just as much as men. Morrissey was right before the idiots started putting their oar in.

Yes, well, goes without saying. :rolleyes:

I think it would be wrong to say theres no difference in the way men and women see and think about things but thats not to exaggerate the differences either, men and women do go through different experiences isn't it silly to deny it?

If an artist sings about feelings of alienation and loneliness in general we can all relate to it, but when its more specific about relationships eg between a father and son, motherhood and pregnancy then the gender of the person becomes more relevant.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/jun/16/neuroscience.psychology

Apparently, straight females and gay males share similar brain structures and functions. So do straight males and lesbians.

I think Morrissey's brain must be a bit of an anomaly. :D

90 people, 22 for each sexual orientation, then they put them additionally in age groups. Brain differences of 1-2%, typcially and as a tendency. I am deeply impressed. Not.

Other researchers in the early 80s had a closer look at such researches that tried to establish differences between the sexes and they found a bias in almost all of them. Talking about research on spacial orientation, language ability, mathematics and so on. The conclusion was that a man and a woman can be more alike than any two men and any two women. Or in other words, the largest brain of a woman can be larger than the smallest brain of a man.

How nice, that it is now said that this is supposedly because of sexual orientation... As I had expected, what we are experiencing is not that we get rid of categories, we get ever more and the old ones are re-established.

Morrissey's original thinking that there is not so much difference between the sexes apart from the genitals was right. It always pays to view people as individuals with their individual background and experiences and not to make assumptions based on sex, sexual orientation, hair colour, race, nationality, place of residence, you name it. Any similar experiences are very often made based on prejudices. Ironically a lot of people socialize themselves to fit into stereotypes. Funny, eh?

Last edited:
Tags
girlsareppltoo lyrics
Back
Top Bottom