What's the apeal in Morrissey's lyrics for women ?

HousingOfficer

I blame my mother
I can totally understand certain men relating to Morrissey / The Smiths lyrics.

They are often about not fitting into the typical 'Male/Macho' stereotype and the emotional problems this can cause.

But what do women get from his lyrics ?

This is a genuine question and not meant to wind anyone up.

Mostly I've always found his lyrics to be very amusing.

They deal with human feelings. And one or two of us are human.
:lbf:
well obviously he writes lyrics about matters as life,
love, rejection/loneliness/not finding love for example and believe it or not women suffer from that to,housing:rolleyes:

As another poster stated, Morrissey talks about human feelings. All genders can suffer loneliness, not fitting in, rejection, alienation, depression, etc. I can relate to Morrissey's lyrics because I've experienced those things.

Morrissey is Bisexual. So basically you're saying that he's gay and the only people that can relate to Morrissey is gay men with love problems?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WTF? f*** Off and kindly leave this site. You are clearly thick as shit. lol :crazy:

Women aren't all like the fluffy-headed characters you see on TV. We also struggle with traditional gender roles, unrequited love, loneliness, etc.

When I first encountered Morrissey I was so shocked that someone who could be speaking for me -- similar beliefs, outlook, political stance, etc. -- was famous and expressing these unusual, alternative, and sometimes dark views. And nobody was stopping him!

The sexes aren't so divided as you think. :)

For me...Wit and Humour of course!!!! the man is a lyrical genius

Yes! I started listening to The Smiths when I was 13. Even then, corny as it may sound, it felt like Morrissey was singing my life.

The only categorical statement I can make with regards to the differences between men and women is that I've never know a man to keep a scrunched up tissue up his sleeve. :)

No, his is kept in his underwear.

I can totally understand certain men relating to Morrissey / The Smiths lyrics.

They are often about not fitting into the typical 'Male/Macho' stereotype and the emotional problems this can cause.

But what do women get from his lyrics ?

This is a genuine question and not meant to wind anyone up.

If they are about not fitting into male stereotypes, then they are also about not fitting into female stereotypes. He wrote about the "ordinary boys" and "the ordinary girls". The songs were not meant just for boys' ears.

As a teenager hearing the words for the first time, they were very empowering, and honestly taught me a great deal of empathy for other outsiders. This was back in the late 80s. I had no opinions on many issues save what had been passed down through my parents, and hearing something like "Hand in Glove," which I interpreted as being about being young and gay, made me a permanent advocate for gay rights.

Morrissey's own sexuality is not the issue, at all. Gayness is much more accepted now than it was then. Don't laugh- there were NO out teenagers in my school. There were lots of gay teenagers, but none were out to more than one or two trusted friends. If they had come out, they would possibly have been beaten right into the hospital. Homosexuality was an area of personal freedom that needed help at that time. It was a big issue. If that is an aspect of identity that Morrissey thought a lot about or struggled with, then it would make sense that his lyrics would focus on it to an extent.

And I wonder if that looks out of proportion now, or to new listeners who did not hear the songs in their original temporal context.

He also taught me that its possible to be politically liberal and personally conservative. It's possible to be a pacifist who finds boxing enthralling. We are naturally contradictory. Nobody really votes a straight ticket--nobody who actually thinks.

I think an interpretation of Morrissey's lyrics that focuses on issues of masculinity is shortsighted, and is cheating the reader.

I hope this conversation develops. We've had it before, but it doesn't really get tiring.

He also taught me that its possible to be politically liberal and personally conservative.

Excellent point. He taught me all the things he taught you. Sometimes he validated thoughts/feelings I already had. He also taught me that my family's desperate devotion to normalcy wasn't something I needed to embrace.

... And I didn't have to be male to get any of that. :)

Tags
girlsareppltoo lyrics
Back
Top Bottom