"What's it like, to put the the f***ing M in Manchester?"

Amy

from the Ice Age to the dole age
So I was looking on YouTube to locate a Gannon quote from a Smiths documentary, and I thought it might have been "These Things Take Time" or "Inside the Smiths". Anyway, I typed in "Inside the Smiths" and this brief clip from the DVD premiere surfaced - Rourke & Joyce getting abuse from some drunken, misguided fool. I'm no fan of Joyce and I still felt uncomfortable watching this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQQVN12Xvv8

He cant bring himself to say that Morrissey put the M in manchester can he, like how rourke just sits there and doesnt back him up. Rourke is still 'friends' with Moz is he not? I remember on the DVD of Inside the Smiths he is on hs way to the m.e.n to watch Morrissey.

nick kent...said he watched johnny arrive at the studio with a few chords, "work them up" into an arrangement with mike and andy, and then morrissey showed up two hours later with words and a melody...
How about a little respect? But what do you expect from a drunken gimp?

This is ridiculous... god, go to a town hall and sucker punch a politician! I'm sick of people hating Joyce, and Rourke too. Go throw away all your Smiths records then! They are awesome musicians, and part of one of the greatest bands ever.

Joyce was a great f***ing drummer. To think that Johnny would just tolerate a crappy drummer is beyond belief, not to mention John Porter.

This is ridiculous... god, go to a town hall and sucker punch a politician! I'm sick of people hating Joyce, and Rourke too. Go throw away all your Smiths records then! They are awesome musicians, and part of one of the greatest bands ever.

Joyce was a great f***ing drummer. To think that Johnny would just tolerate a crappy drummer is beyond belief, not to mention John Porter.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

This clip wasn't on the DVD, I was there! It was the official launch of the DVD and this was the night before the release. There was a Q&A session and both Mike and Andy were well oiled (as was a fair few of us!). To be honest, other than the original question, I couldn't work out what the lad was saying (other than presumably trying to get Mike to say Morrissey). The Q&A session ended in a bit of a shambles as it just got too packed and noisey.

The question of the night was ''Which Smith got the most birds?''
Answer (from one of the two:thumb:) ''I did..... Johnny was dating / married Angie, he had a girlfriend...and Morrissey.....well...he's gay isn't he:eek: cue much laughter

Jukebox Jury

Answer (from one of the two:thumb:) ''I did..... Johnny was dating / married Angie, he had a girlfriend...and Morrissey.....well...he's gay isn't he:eek: cue much laughter

Jukebox Jury
That's the type of underhanded response that make people hate Joyce.
What a ***!

That's the type of underhanded response that make people hate Joyce.
What a ***!

either that or it's a comment delivered with humour to a room full of people in on the joke about morrissey's sexuality.

and at no point does jj say that it was joyce that said that. ;) are you sure you aren't just projecting your dislike?

also, only three asterisks? are you censoring the word "tit"? "git"? "ass"? "poo"?

Last edited by a moderator:
either that or it's a comment delivered with humour to a room full of people in on the joke about morrissey's sexuality.

and at no point does jj say that it was joyce that said that. ;) are you sure you aren't just projecting your dislike?

also, only three asterisks? are you censoring the word "tit"? "git"? "ass"? "poo"?

I came to this conclusion because Rourke was on heroin so I doubt he had the most women. (if I'm wrong about this I'll be very surprised)

I have never noted Rourke speak in a derogative way about Morrissey or Marr (I could be wrong)

plus JJ would see the humour and the devilment in printing this.
It's a put down!!!!!

I'm at work and certain words trigger the computer software.:rolleyes:

I came to this conclusion because Rourke was on heroin so I doubt he had the most women. (if I'm wrong about this I'll be very surprised)

I have never noted Rourke speak in a derogative way about Morrissey or Marr (I could be wrong)

plus JJ would see the humour and the devilment in printing this.
It's a put down!!!!!

I'm at work and certain words trigger the computer software.:rolleyes:

Lighten up a bit will ya? To me it sounds like a joke (one that I'd laugh at!) and regardless of my opinion it's a recollection on a message board, no justification to call someone a twat. Even if it was "a put down!!!!!" (heaven forbid!) who cares? It's not our problem if someone slags off Morrissey, especially if he's had the advantage of being in a band with him and knows a hell of a lot more about him than we'll ever know. Why does no one on here ever seem to talk about the completely harsh things Morrissey says about others? I'd say he's equally capable of being as horrible as you think Joyce is. Being a fan seems to be so blinding for many.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

This clip wasn't on the DVD, I was there! It was the official launch of the DVD and this was the night before the release. There was a Q&A session and both Mike and Andy were well oiled (as was a fair few of us!). To be honest, other than the original question, I couldn't work out what the lad was saying (other than presumably trying to get Mike to say Morrissey). The Q&A session ended in a bit of a shambles as it just got too packed and noisey.

Jukebox Jury
O the glamour of it all...:rolleyes:

Thank you yesitis:bow:
I purposely didn't say who it was for two reasons.....
1st to see who jumps to conclusions (thanks lainey, you were my main suspect after all:lbf::lbf:)
2nd as mentioned, I was a little pissed too that night...however......I am pretty certain.....say 90% that it was Andy who said it. In fact, it must have been because if you read my original ''answer to the question'' the person answering said ''Johnny was with Angie and he had a girlfriend'' which Mike did (and married her)

And yes, of course it was a humouress reply. Anyone thinking otherwise must be:crazy:

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
What's it like? Well I should imagine it's like selling out every event in Manchester and pretty much having the rule and respect of the whole of Manchester.

Imagine the headlines if the answer was, well Morrissey of course. He is the frinkiest of them all :lbf:

Jukebox Jury

you joyce fans are an ugly bunch
yes he was a good drummer - but so what - it was a long time ago
yes he was lucky enough to have been in the smiths
but he has done more to destroy the smiths legacy than johnny bleeding rogan and judge weaks put together

was he 25% of the smiths? - well he certainly was one of the four but was he ever 25% of what the smiths were? - no
his input into what the smith became was never the same as Morrissey or marr on any level ever - that much is clear

these dvd's and dj set from these two are an embarrassment - i'd muh rather spend an evening listening to my dear old mother grinding her teeth - anyone who attends them or sticks up for joyce or who says things like "the smiths would not have been the same without mike.....mikes a great drummer......mike earned that money........" is backward and ugly

those two are both foul - look at those haircuts - see how they casually stab the person in the back who they have leeched off their whole lives

you joyce fans are an ugly bunch
yes he was a good drummer - but so what - it was a long time ago
yes he was lucky enough to have been in the smiths
but he has done more to destroy the smiths legacy than johnny bleeding rogan and judge weaks put together

was he 25% of the smiths? - well he certainly was one of the four but was he ever 25% of what the smiths were? - no
his input into what the smith became was never the same as Morrissey or marr on any level ever - that much is clear

these dvd's and dj set from these two are an embarrassment - i'd muh rather spend an evening listening to my dear old mother grinding her teeth - anyone who attends them or sticks up for joyce or who says things like "the smiths would not have been the same without mike.....mikes a great drummer......mike earned that money........" is backward and ugly

those two are both foul - look at those haircuts - see how they casually stab the person in the back who they have leeched off their whole lives

Well I saw The Smiths five times and for the first two of those gigs there were four band members on stage, so yes, he was 25% of the band. The next three times there was five on stage, so then he was 20%:thumb:

I don't think I have ever seen anyone say The Smiths would not have been the same without Mike. However, I and others have responded when anti Mike posters have said ''anyone could have drummed for The Smiths''. There is a difference.
And did Mike earn the money? Two judges thought so.

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom