What's going on?

I'm new around this forum, and I can't help but noticing that folk seem to be losing patience with Moz these days. I look back with nostalgia at when YATQ and even World Peace was released, and the general sentiment of the site seemed to be positive. I just wondered if anyone could enlighten me as to why this 'hateful crèche' is being, well, hateful?
The way I see it, now is the best time to be a Morrissey fan- the last four albums have been, on the whole, triumphs (OK, not so much Ringleader, but hey- that had Morricone on it!) and he still doesn't run the risk of being 'samey' with Gustavo adding a whole new songwriting dimension.
And the whole stuff about no record label or whatever? Really? I think he just wants a bit of time in between releases so the idea of a new Moz album isn't devalued like what happened with Southpaw, Maladjusted, etc. I think Staircase, Istanbul and Earth Is are among his best works ever, and there are loads of great tracks on YoR, too.

Last edited:
whats wrong with ringleader? it has the distinction of having the greatest ever morrissey song (you have killed me) on it. also, along with staircase, istanbul, and earth should be mountjoy. i love that song so much.

i have no valuable insights into the hostility. people just do what they want.

I'm new around this forum, and I can't help but noticing that folk seem to be losing patience with Moz these days. I look back with nostalgia at when YATQ and even World Peace was released, and the general sentiment of the site seemed to be positive. I just wondered if anyone could enlighten me as to why this 'hateful crèche' is being, well, hateful?
The way I see it, now is the best time to be a Morrissey fan- the last four albums have been, on the whole, triumphs (OK, not so much Ringleader, but hey- that had Morricone on it!) and he still doesn't run the risk of being 'samey' with Gustavo adding a whole new songwriting dimension.
And the whole stuff about no record label or whatever? Really? I think he just wants a bit of time in between releases so the idea of a new Moz album isn't devalued like what happened with Southpaw, Maladjusted, etc. I think Staircase, Istanbul and Earth Is are among his best works ever, and there are loads of great tracks on YoR, too.

I would agree that the last four albums have all been impressive and certainly much better than I would have ever expected back in the dark days of 1995-onwards when Morrissey was as unfashionable as a performer could be. His live shows have also clearly improved since that time.

He was correct to label this place a 'hateful online creche' and some of the trolls are seemingly encouraged by people who should know better.

And the whole stuff about no record label or whatever? Really? I think he just wants a bit of time in between releases so the idea of a new Moz album isn't devalued like what happened with Southpaw, Maladjusted, etc.

So, when Morrissey keeps issuing rants on True To You about how crap all the major labels are, because they won't sign him, you think he's lying, and he doesn't want a contract at all?

In terms of music, I think 'Quarry-Refusal' was pretty amazing - World Peace has some good stuff on it, but an alarming amount of filler, plus some of the worst lyrics of Morrissey's career.

I struggle to see how this could be 'the best time to be a Morrissey fan'. No record label or likelihood of Morrissey ever getting signed again after falling out with yet another label; his best solo songwriter (Alain) booted to the kerb in favour of a guitarist who can barely play his instrument; plus the days of Morrissey being charming, or funny, with hilarious interviews in the press, has been replaced with a series on one-note monotonous, and sometimes borderline insane, rants on True To You. Oh, and the much-hyped fiction debut of 'List of the Lost' turned out to be an embarrassing disaster.

I do think that this place, in general, reflects the attitude of Morrissey himself. If he was positive, pushing forward and making progress, and sending out posts about all the things he likes, and I'm sure this place would be a lot chipper in general. As his career seems to be in self-inflicted terminal decline, and all we get is a stream of hate from True To You as he blames/shits on everyone else, then this place is similarly negative, as we all remember how much better things used to be.

Man - what I wouldn't give to be back in those EMI years, where we were guaranteed a new album every 1-2 years, and Morrissey's press interviews were like works of art.

I totally agree with you. Personally, I love World Peace... Maybe because it's what I needed to listen from an artist like Morrissey. Actually, it's a political manifesto and many people in their 40s don't like to think twice about some issues. It's too hard to live in this world, it's harder to live thinking about the daily concessions we must make in order to survive, like accepting meekly the bombing of innocent people because we're afraid to protest. As a woman, I'm not a man condenses all the things I'd like to hear from a man. And I could go on...

I'm quite new here, and like you I noticed too many hateful comments. Internet forums are full of trolls, but generally moderators filter their messages. This is not the case, it's very strange. Eventually, we all will get tired of this.

I totally agree with you. Personally, I love World Peace... Maybe because it's what I needed to listen from an artist like Morrissey. Actually, it's a political manifesto and many people in their 40s don't like to think twice about some issues. It's too hard to live in this world, it's harder to live thinking about the daily concessions we must make in order to survive, like accepting meekly the bombing of innocent people because we're afraid to protest. As a woman, I'm not a man condenses all the things I'd like to hear from a man. And I could go on...

I'm quite new here, and like you I noticed too many hateful comments. Internet forums are full of trolls, but generally moderators filter their messages. This is not the case, it's very strange. Eventually, we all will get tired of this.

Thanks so much for reassuring me that the trolls are a minority! When they complain about the TTY posts, it does confuse me a little. I find some of his humour refreshing, and the new pictures that a emerging such as the one from Dublin just a few months back prove that he is far from rotting away in the urea of his own grumpiness like many of them make out. And as for the lack of interviews- well that's just one of the many failures of the British press. Sadly, many of the hacks these days just don't come from backgrounds that would be congruent with being a Mozzer fan.
And, even though Whyte has gone, this is not an Ozymandias-esque tragedy. Far from it- I like Manzur, and see this as just a natural evolution. After all, Whyte's departure doesn't mean that all of his songs go too- we can still listen to Let Me Kiss You even though its co-writer has moved on to pastures new!

- - - Updated - - -

His live shows have also clearly improved since that time.

Hopefully I'll be able to see this for myself one day...! I'm sure a British tour is in the offing within the next 5 years!

Hopefully I'll be able to see this for myself one day...! I'm sure a British tour is in the offing within the next 5 years!

You do know he has stated he is boycotting playing the UK as no major record label will sign him, right? Still, flights to Dublin are cheap, so I'm sure you'll be able to see him live somewhere nearby at some point.

Back
Top Bottom