What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

zzzzzzmhh.jpg

In 1943, Fania Fenelon was a Paris cabaret singer, a secret member of the Resistance, and a Jew. Captured by the Nazis, she was sent to Auschwitz where she became one of the legendary "orchestra girls" who used music to survive the Holocaust. This is her personal account of the experience.

I am reading "Shutter Island" in Danish - to keep my native language alive now that I live in the UK. Unfortunately, the translation is so bad that I can hardly tell whether this book is good or not. Probably not, though.
Oh well, it was a two for one offer at the airport. The other book I bought was "Krat" by Christan Jungersen. I don't expect anybody to know who he is, but that is a very good book.

What was the last book you read?

I'm sure the thread already exists, but I just looked through 12 pages of off topic and couldn't find it. Feel free to merge....

bookdevilpaperback.jpg

Eh, it was ok. The usual relentlessly page-turning Iles storytelling got bogged down in awkwardly inserted musings on the duties of public servants, the difficulties of public school integration, and challenges facing a post-industrial manufacturing South. Definitely more cerebral than Third Degree, but a less fun read because of it.
I also wonder about his main characters' loud protestations against the plethora of "deviant" sexual behavior he serves up by the boatload. He could just choose to NOT include graphic descriptions of that behavior....

Re: What was the last BOOK you read?

41Qyu0aQk2L._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA250_Laughter-in-the-Dark.jpg

It blew my mind- sheer genius- though it is not quite as impressive as Lolita.

Re: What was the last BOOK you read?

endinfire.jpg

The characters were very flat, but the pacing was excellent. The plot seemed to move forward based solely on mishaps and disasters but the author managed to keep the reader engaged. A bubblegum read but not bad.

200px-BoyWhoKickedPigs.jpg

I've just read The Boy Who Kicked Pigs by Tom (Dr. Who) Baker - it's depraved, wild and very funny. It's about a boy who used to tease his sister by kicking her piggy bank around the house. One day, by kicking out of the window, it hits a police officer driving by and causes a horrible accident. He then decides to leave pigs alone and start killing people. He then causes a truly outrageous accident of 'biblical' proportions, you have to read it to believe it.

altarofeden.jpg

Listened to it, actually. I've been driving long distances and need something to keep me awake. It's an average book for Mr. Rollins. I didn't quite buy his attempt at creating character depth or the theory he created as the mechanism for all that happened. It had pretty good storytelling. 6/10

local_by_brian_wood_and_ryan_kelly.jpg

I read the first half of this this afternoon at the mall. THe illustration is AMAZING and plot beyond intriguing, I believe twelve interwoven stories centered around a girl named Megan McKeenan who drifts from town to town re-establishing her identity when she screws up in one town or is forced into these bizarre scenarios. THere was a slight Morrissey reference I almost photographed for here but I was holding out for a clearer one, she tends to work in record shops, or record shops are featured in the novel. In the window of one in the background was a poster for the band Pretty Girls Make Graves, a line Morrissey wrote of course, though we know the band. :love: Anyway, check it out. I was sad to put it down. Chapter seven next trip to the mall, provided someone doesn't purchase it. :pray:

Just finished England's Dreaming by Jon Savage a book I've been meaning to read for aeons. Arguably the best book about popular culture I've read...

Jon Savage's Ralph Gleason Award-winning England's Dreaming is the ultimate book on punk, its progenitors, the Sex Pistols, and their time: the late 1970s. Full of anedcote, insight, and exclusive interviews, it tells the sensational story of the meteoric rise and rapid decline of the last great rock'n'roll band and the cultural moment they came to define. The critical reputation of England's Dreaming has grown over the past decade and a half. This updated edition includes an introduction focusing on the legacy of punk twenty-five years on, an account of the Sex Pistols 1996 reunion, and a comprehensively updated discography.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom