What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

Let’s Take A Look Inside The Final WATCHMEN Soundtrack Release
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross' three-album journey arrives at a spectacular finish.

By SCOTT WAMPLER Dec. 13, 2019

6.5kShares
facebook.svg

The first season of HBO's Watchmen will end its run this Sunday evening, and with it comes the arrival of Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross' third soundtrack album. We've covered each of these releases as they've arrived on our doorstep (check out the first volume here; second volume's over here), and much like the show itself, we've been hugely impressed by the depth, attention to detail and world-building that have gone into these alternate-reality albums. Each has had its own flavor, both aesthetically and musically, and each has been very cool in its own unique ways. The pair's final Watchmen album, which is available to purchase over on Amazon while supplies last, is no exception. It might even be the coolest one yet.

Let's take a look inside.

IMG_0070_1200_900_81_s.jpg

As you can see, the Watchmen: Vol. Three soundtrack is presented as a Nine Inch Nails album - excuse me, a The Nine Inch Nails album - called The Manhattan Project. That's good ol' Dr. Manhattan on the cover there, probably experiencing multiple timelines simultaneously and thinking about what to build next, and there's two stickers attached. Let's take a closer look at those.

IMG_0066_1200_900_81_s.jpg

The first, at the bottom, indicates that listeners suffering from "11/2 PTSD" (read: anyone still dealing with the fallout of Ozymandias' deadly squid trick) should use an "EDS filter" to "insure a risk free immersive experience".

IMG_0068_1200_900_81_s.jpg

Up at the top, we get our first indication of what this album's meant to be: The Manhattan Project, a long lost NIN album that's only just seeing a release (overseen by Atticus Ross and Peter Christopherson, who NIN fans might recall as the director of the notorious Broken movie). According to this sticker, this is also one of NIN's Halo releases, coming in hot at number 10. If you're thinking that means The Nine Inch Nails produced less music in the Watchmen reality, you're not wrong...but we'll get to that in a minute.

IMG_0071_1200_900_81_s.jpg

Here's a look at the back cover, which reveals the tracklisting and the fact that The Manhattan Project was recorded in "The Crater". We'll get to that in a minute, too.

IMG_0073_1200_900_81_s.jpg

Here's a closer look at the tracklisting.

IMG_0074_1200_900_81_s.jpg

IMG_0075_1200_900_81_s.jpg

A look at the inner sleeve, which contains more production notes...

IMG_0078_1200_900_81_s.jpg

...and the flip-side of the inner sleeve, all in Manhattan blue.

IMG_0080_1200_900_81_s.jpg

IMG_0084_1200_900_81_s.jpg

Here's a look at the record itself. Not sure what that image is at the center - looks a bit like the edge of a map, doesn't it?

IMG_0088_1200_900_81_s.jpg

Also included in the package is this essay, "He's Gone Away", which is where things get really interesting.

IMG_0089_1200_900_81_s.jpg

Over the course of eight pages, "He's Gone Away" offers an alternate account of The Nine Inch Nails history, mostly in relation to Dr. Manhattan's disappearance from Earth. This thing is a goddamn treasure trove for NIN nerds: here we learn that Sean Parker (yes, that Sean Parker) suggested adding the "The" to the band's name; that Trent Reznor has not been seen since 1995, when he walked off stage in Saigon after yelling "f*** you!" to the heavens; that Cameron Crowe wrote the liner notes for a 2018 reissue of TNIN's entire discography; and that The Manhattan Project was recorded (on a dare, no less!) at "The Crater", the name given to the empty field in North Wales where Cartwithen Castle used to be (hint: Ozymandias has been living in that castle, but it definitely ain't in North Wales anymore).

IMG_0092_1200_900_81_s.jpg

IMG_0093_1200_900_81_s.jpg

I'll leave the rest of the details for you to discover and explore on your own, but trust me when I say that this thing is an absolute pleasure to read, especially if you're a big NIN nerd. After an album that gave us the fictional history of Sons of Pale Horse and another which offered up a deeper look at American Hero Story (Watchmen's in-universe answer to American Crime Story), it's f***ing awesome to see so much attention devoted to Reznor, Ross and Nine Inch Nails. What a perfect way to wrap this thing up!

IMG_0096_1200_900_81_s.jpg

Ah. Here's a look at the backside of the essay, should that please you.

IMG_0100_1200_900_81_s.jpg

And here's the whole thing, laid out piece by piece. It's a really sharp-looking piece of work.

It's been quite a year for Nine Inch Nails fans, hasn't it? We got three new Reznor/Ross soundtracks built around Watchmen, one of which had a David Bowie cover on it, another full-length soundtrack for Trey Edward Shults' Waves, and yet another one for Netflix's Bird Box. Black Mirror (somewhat infamously) used one of NIN's biggest songs as the hook for one of its weirdest episodes. Oh, and Reznor/Ross wound up winning a Country Music Award. The rest of this year's been a full-blown disaster, but at least us NIN fans have had many, many things to celebrate. Here's hoping next year's just as productive (maybe we'll finally hear something on another live album? Fingers crossed).

The Watchmen: Vol. Three soundtrack can be purchased on Amazon via the link below. We highly recommend it.

Pablo is the new Robby!

Director Damon Lindelof or Lindelöf (swedish heritage) is related to Man United swede Victor Lindelöf.

198823_v9_bb.jpg

Damon

Player-Profiles-Square-Lindelof1558456166025.jpg

Victor from Västerås

Hmmm what did some slovak say about action movies again?

Hmmmmm, over to you Rifke keeping track on what we once said here.

Pablo is the new Robby!

Director Damon Lindelof or Lindelöf (swedish heritage) is related to Man United swede Victor Lindelöf.

198823_v9_bb.jpg

Damon

Victor from Västerås

First of, Robby doesn’t look like Nails fan. The post was directed at the soundtrack not the show which I didn’t watch a single minute of.
Secondly, you shouldn’t sniff around my balls. I get excited very easily.

Pablo is the new Robby!

198823_v9_bb.jpg

Damon

Victor from Västerås

Victor's wife Maja live from their home in Manchester on Musikhjälpen now a few hours after his own goal against Everton with the game ending 1-1. She has collected over a million for this charity with her goodie bag project among other football wives and players.

With Victor from Västerås and Musikhjälpen hosted there this year I expected them to have a live link from their home in England. The entire square chanted her name.

I suspected that the movie was a Bergman rip off of Scenes from a marriage and Lars confirms it. Saved for Christmas so I'll watch it then.

LARS LINDSTRÖM
Scarlett Johansson reminds me a lot of Liv Ullmann and I myself feel great
SCARLETT JOHANSSON Published 16 Dec 2019 at 06.55
450.jpg

Here is Scarlett Johansson's speech at the LA Women's March
00:32
The star of the "Marriage story" talks about female liberation 2018.
640@60.jpg

Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver in "Marriage story".Photo: NETFLIX
Erland Josephson and Liv Ullmann in Ingmar Bergman's "Scenes from a Marriage".Photo: SVT

The December sky is gray like graphite, the flu and the Viking sickness can strike at any time and a divorce film is the only thing you have to watch on Netflix.

Well thank you, I feel like I deserve: fine.

This is a chronicle. Analysis and positions are the writer's.

Share article
FacebookTwitterE-mail
310@60.jpg

LARS LINDSTRÖM
READ MORE: chronicles by
Lars Lindström

It's such a week. In Stockholm, the snow is raining. It blows small nails in the air and in the mail basket. Marie Fredriksson dies. A writer who refuses to call the massacre of 8,000 Bosnian Muslims for genocide receives the Nobel Prize in literature and tells reporters that he would rather have toilet paper with poop than "empty and ignorant questions" about the genocide.

A manufacturer of chainsaws and one who makes forest machines think it is 1950s and that calendars with half naked girls and shiny machines are cool. Stockholmers, as usual, buy cannabis, cocaine and amphetamines for SEK 30 million a week . Nyskilda M betrays yet another broad settlement and desperately dates SD in pursuit of the lost power.

An ordinary week in the Kingdom of Sweden, in other words.

What to do? You can not cry, not laugh, even though you are worth it. I rest on the green leather sofa and listen to the sounds of the approaching Christmas, imagine Christmas tree trunks sawn by the vendor around the corner and the rustle of secret packages wrapped in the kitchen. But the only thing I hear is the sentimental notes from Bill Evans's piano.

I block a few more trolls that only mail insults
I block a few more trolls that only mail insults. It is amusing to think that they are now continuing to email rude people, unaware that they are sweeping past straight into the spam basket. Have!

You have to have fun, you have to be happy. It collects an analysis from Statistics Sweden, Statistics Sweden, our scientific support in a chaotic existence. Well, isn't even Statistics Sweden to trust? Did they exaggerate unemployment? Well, did they blame a subcontractor? So neat. Think that no one else has come up with that tactic.

Well, SCB now delivered an analysis that I believe in. It shows that most satisfied with life are couples living together without children , as we do now. More than half, 52 percent in that category say they are VERY satisfied with life.

Statistics Sweden has asked people between the ages of 20 and 65 and concluded that cohabiting without children or emigrated children is more satisfied with life than living alone and more satisfied than cohabiting with children at home. They are also more satisfied with their financial situation and with how much time you have to do fun things in your spare time.

Bergmann murders and everyone else just has to love "Marriage story"
I write them, but we might as well write, because I place in the most satisfied group, whose life is a little clearer, a little fuller.

I am so pleased that I am ashamed, and suggest we watch "Marriage story" on Netflix, a divorce film inspired by Ingmar Bergman and especially "Scenes from a Marriage". So you have to cry a little bit anyway .

Director Noah Baumbach has called Bergman's "Persona" as close to a perfect movie as anyone has made. He has traveled to Fårö once and on the film screen has studied closely how Bergman photographer Sven Nykvist captures interiors, environments and portraits and how the faces reflect each other in a relationship.

Bergmann murders and everyone else just has to love "Marriage story", a movie about male control and female liberation. Scarlett Johansson reminds me a lot of Liv Ullmann and I myself feel great.

And now I'm going to tell you what love is. Love is to ask her wife what she wants in Christmas and she replies: write me a song.

snurre-skugg-400x400.jpg

LINDA SKUGGE

Stay with your crow

DECEMBER 16, 2019, 7 P.M. 05:00

"It takes more courage to marry than to go to war."

It is one of Queen Kristina's most famous maxims. She has written more. Or how about: "If there are people lucky enough not to regret having married, then there are not many."

Or, "People get married because they don't know what they're doing."

The writer and relationship guru Esther Perel usually says that people are happy to make advanced agreements when it comes to housing or work, but when it comes to marriage and children, it gets a bit as it gets.

And all too often it becomes like in Noah Baumbach's new Netflix movie Marriage story where Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson finally rant to each other that I hope you get a sickness, or get run over and die and the lawyer says a divorce where there are children is like a death without a body.

And just because they didn't sign a marriage order? Because they didn't dare to demand that crow on a piece of paper?

Here I would like to take the opportunity to swear a little in church, but I can't help but take Charlie's party in the Marriage story. If Nicole hadn't given up her career for her husband's sake, and given up even more to become a Mum and never articulated his will, but lived like a f***ing martyr until her son turned eight and she got a job offer from LA, they probably would have divorced, absolutely, but then they would probably have started to hate each other. And a prenuptial agreement had of course facilitated.

Does anyone seriously think that their marriage will last forever? Are there such naive people?

Or is it the romance that comes and disturbs? The notion that a marriage ordinance would be a killer of romance?

Put a ring on it, Beyoncé sings. Myself, I say put a crow on it and release the worst chaos.

In addition, the latest survey, done by researchers in Alberta, Canada, shows that one cannot be happier with a new partner. The grass is never greener and so on.

You might as well stay with your crow.

"It's half the time of my life that I've spent with Kent"
by
Kim Wijk
15/09/2019
We met the former Kent guitarist and manager, Martin Roos in his house in Eskilstuna to talk about the time with Kent , and how the ending of the chapter Kent opened up his creativity to starting his own bureaucratic project . This is the first part of the interview with Martin Roos , where we talked about how he and Adam Berg was Jones & the poison first fans, the move to Stockholm, the name Kent broke and the song "A whole new career" .

We sit on Martin Roos veranda at the back of the house in Eskilstuna and look out at the forest, the sun shines on us in the sun loungers and Martin offers coffee. It feels a bit surreal, the first time I listened to Kent was sometime in my teens, and here we sit almost 20 years later. You feel small. There are many emotions that are difficult to put into words, I hardly know where to start.

When did you get in touch with the others in Kent?
- It was in the third grade at the school in Eskilstuna. and when we started in the fourth, it was a class that had to be split. I had then started hanging out with a friend, Adam Berg , and he demanded that he end up in my class so we could hang out.

So I grew up with him, and Jocke Berg is Adam's big brother . We were the lads who ran and destroyed his room and disturbed him.
- So I grew up with him, and Jocke Berg is Adam's big brother . We were the lads who ran and destroyed his room and disturbed him. Jocke did not play music at the time, but it came later when he began to learn to play guitar.

5d7aabc434aefe4880285d57_martin-roos-kent-manager-fotograf-kim-wijk-5.jpg

Martin Roos, former member of Kent and later also their manager. Photo: Kim Wijk

- Adam and I were probably the first fans of Jones & Giftet , which the band was called at the time. We saw all the concerts and hung around. We were like indie kids, we traveled a lot to England and bought CDs and vinyls. Went to Roskilde and Hultsfred, and cultivated our musical interest.

Adam and I were probably the first fans of Jones & Giftet , which the band was then called. We saw all the concerts and hung around. We were like the indie kid
- I moved to Linköping '91 to plug the management line, and during that time I had started playing guitar myself and played in a band in Linköping called The Blob . We did covers on indie hits from Stone Roses , Ride and The Charlatans , and we had our own songs as well.

5d7aac15a9740c690f578f8f_martin-roos-kent-manager-fotograf-kim-wijk-10.jpg

Martin shows a demo cassette from the band The Blob that he played in when he lived in Linköping. Photo: Kim Wijk

- Jones & Giftet had reached the final in Cult 91 , a music competition at Skylight in Eskilstuna, which they won. And the following year, '92, the winning band always got to play in the finals. They had written a song; "Hold Me" or "Winter Rest" , or whatever it was and needed an extra acoustic guitar. They knew I was playing guitar, so I got to be there. Then we were all on stage, including Thomas Bergqvist .

They had written a song; 'Hold on to me' or 'Winter rest' , or whatever it was and needed an extra acoustic guitar. They knew I was playing guitar, so I got to be there.
- After the gig they kicked Thomas well and took me in instead, so I commuted from Linköping to the ropes in Eskilstuna. After all, everyone lived there. Adam Berg and I later moved up to Stockholm, and moved together on Söder. Then I did music science and he film science, then the others moved on.

Interesting how the random and how the class division into third class, in some way paved the way for the Kent we know. During that time, the band was named Jones & Giftet to later rename themselves Sea Angels before it eventually became Kent .

- It was really Adam who came up with the name, Kent . It was in our apartment on Söder, on Brännkyrkagatan 88 that it was broken.

5d7aae1b7099dc0949c79f1e_martin-roos-kent-manager-fotograf-kim-wijk-12.jpg

Martin shows the photo, taken by Jonas Linell, who became the cover of the single "Frank".
It is like a loser in Torshälla with wooden labs and white blend and mop muse. It's 70's Kent - the picture for the ultimate loser. It could as well have become Leif
Why was the name Kent?
- It's some persona as well. It is like a loser in Torshälla with wooden labs and white blend and mop muse. It's 70's Kent - the picture for the ultimate loser. It could as well have become Leif. Says Martin and laughs.

- We then found other things that confirmed the Kent thing; Bowie had a Kent guitar, Mick Jagger was born in Kent. Then it is very neat when you write it too.

- Had we been named Leif, surely everyone would have thought Kent had been foolish. It's classic brand awareness. Then we were not as skilled in brand building, but it was as it became.

5d7d13d9cb34e47c719ec618_martin-roos-kent-manager-intervju-foto-kim-wijk.jpg

Martin opens one of all boxes of tour books from Kent. Photo: Kim Wijk

- At the same time, I worked on record label '93, and then when we released the record in March '95, we did a tour. I worked quite a lot, the others had a bit of a straw job and didn't work the same way I did. They wanted to scratch all the time, and I didn't have time. Then when I gained insight into what the music industry was and how short careers some had, it was more of a strategic decision that I wanted to work behind the scenes than to be an artist. There you got it wrong, says Martin and laughs.

Then when I gained insight into what the music industry was and how short careers some had, it was more of a strategic decision that I wanted to work behind the scenes than to be an artist. There you got it wrong, says Martin and laughs.
- I got a job at Sony then , so it was better that I jumped off. Jocke plays guitar after all, so they recorded the whole "Really" without having a new member - then they picked in Harri Mänty as a replacement.

5d7ab02c34aefe8993287777_martin-roos-kent-manager-fotograf-kim-wijk-14.jpg

For left: Markus Mustonen, Sami Sirviö, Jocke Berg, Martin Sköld, Martin Roos. Photo: Kim Wijk

Have you ever regretted jumping off Kent?
- No, I've never regretted it. After all, I got to be on the same journey, albeit with a different perspective. In '97 I resigned at Sony and started a management when "Isola" was to be released internationally.

Martin Roos was a guitarist in Kent between '91 -'95, dropped a few years during "Really," and then joined "Isola" again from '97, until 2014.

You have to ask Jocke, I have no idea actually ... Jocke's texts are open to interpretation.
It is said that "A whole new career" is about your departure from Kent. Is it true?
- That's it. It is Filip Hammar and Fredrik Wikingsson who have claimed it, I do not know if it is so. You have to ask Jocke , I have no idea actually ... Jocke's texts are open to interpretation. I think everyone makes it their own, there are probably as many people who like Kent who have Jocke's text interpretations.

5d7aad6c08e3ef194df09969_martin-roos-kent-manager-fotograf-kim-wijk-3.jpg

Ian Fraser "Lemmy" Kilmister from Motörhead drew a portrait of Martin as they worked together hanging in Martin's living room. (See the blackboard to the left of Martin in the photo) Photo: Kim Wijk

What did it mean to be Kent's manager?
- Being the buffer zone towards the outside world, they should focus on the creative and I focus on the business. They really don't need to have any other external contacts besides me. I managed all contact with record companies, booking agents, publishers, sponsorships, merchandise and so on. Then it's team work - I didn't run the solo race in any way, nor did they, but it's about working together and finding a balance. Well, it was Jocke and I, as a team, most of all .

So much cool stuff happened around that swing, so it got so much bigger than everyone else in any way.
What relation do you have to Kent's music?
- I've always liked Kent . "Isola" has a big place with me, it happened so much in those years. We toured tremendously. We were in Europe, in the US, and so much cool stuff happened around that swing, so it got so much bigger than everyone else in any way.

- I think "Red" is cool in terms of sound and my favorite song is "December" I think.

5d7aacac03d8ce08e4622397_martin-roos-kent-manager-fotograf-kim-wijk-11.jpg

Old demo cartridges from Kent. Photo: Kim Wijk

- We were pretty green and were peppering then. All tiles have their beauty in themselves and often the place where we recorded the set tone for the entire project. Not just the record, but everything around with artwork, photo and video, I have been very interested in those parts, the music I have not been and played at all. After all, the other parts can be involved in another way. I am very interested in design and like color, shape and function, so it has been f***ing fun.

After all, the other parts can be involved in another way. I am very interested in design and like color, shape and function, so it has been f***ing fun.
I notice Martin likes the artist Waldersten . There are paintings on the walls and in a room that looks out onto the forest, the shelves are filled with books. Kent made a collaboration with Waldersten and made the book "Do not put in!" As Martin shows.

5d7d162228ecca8348d48898_martin-roos-kent-manager-waldersten-intervju-foto-kim-wijk.jpg

Photo: Kim Wijk

- We have worked with a lot of brilliant people over the years, so it has been very challenging and fun. Everything from Johan Renck , Adam Berg , Jonas Linell , Thomas Ökvist and Helene Sköld - Lots of stars. Finding those teams as well, including PR and marketing, who also come close to the band, like Sandra Nordin who has worked with Kent for a very long time . A winning team has been created.

Do you have any anecdotes from the tours?
- A lot goes together as well, but what stands out are the foreigners, because we didn't do as many. Two or three US tours and countless European tours. I was hanging out when we went coast to coast in the US with The Cardigans - it was magical.

So my cell phone rings, and then it's Lars Rixon from United Stage: 'Harri! Where have you done by Harri, he is not on the bus ?! '
- We were almost expelled from the Prince Club in Minneapolis, they thought we were a bit messy there. In the same town we also forgot Harri , it was actually his own fault. We had done the concert and reckoned that everyone was in the bus we would sleep and ride in overnight. Then Harri woke up in the middle of the night and figured he would go out and buy pizza. He only brought cash and left his wallet, passport and cellphone on the bus so he wouldn't be robbed. He disappeared and no one noticed anything, so we left there in the middle of the night. So my cell phone rings, and then it's Lars Rixonfrom United Stage: "Harri! Where have you done by Harri, he is not on the bus ?! "I just:" Yes, he is on the bus ... "so I went to check his binge, pulled away the shroud and there low passport, wallet and mobile on the pillow, but no Harri . Then we were half way to Fargo.

- The thing was that the Rolling Stones were playing the same evening, so there had been fifteen similar buses, so he had been completely confused. So he managed to get to some hotel and borrow a phone. It turned out that one of the crew had a brother in Minneapolis who had stayed that would fly instead, so then Harri and he got hold of each other and flew where we were now going. It was a little frightened delight, it is a fun story, but it was a little crisis. At that time, it was not at all the same with mobile phone. It is a kind of touristic story.

5d7ab0b2a9740c238c57acf5_martin-roos-kent-manager-fotograf-kim-wijk-1.jpg

We go down to Martin's studio, there are guitars on the floor and Martin points to a gold disc from when he worked with Meja . A Japanese gold disc, a little cooler than the Swedish ones, made in plexi. There is a Motörhead vodka on the shelf from the time he worked with them.

Martin points to a color can that Kent says .

- We produced a can, for a Kentfest, 30 cans of special blend with pink Kent color.

5d7aac463af02114af825826_martin-roos-kent-manager-fotograf-kim-wijk-18.jpg

Special blend with pink Kent color. Photo: Kim Wijk

Next to the paint can is a padded envelope addressed to Joakim Berg .

- This one's pretty interesting. This is Jocke's unopened invitation to the Grammy Awards . We had to leave the day before.

5d7aac5803d8ce923c6221c9_martin-roos-kent-manager-fotograf-kim-wijk-17.jpg

Jocke Berg's unopened invitation to the Grammy Awards. Photo: Kim Wijk

Martin shows me into the store and shows everything old Kent junk, everything from tour books, photos and merchandise, old budgets and more. There are also two guitars on the shelf.

- Yes, one is my first guitar, one Levin and the other an old Cort . The thing is that it bought Harri from me, and then I turned it back at a party in the middle of the night.

5d7ab1c67099dc610ec7b990_martin-roos-kent-manager-fotograf-kim-wijk-15.jpg

Martin's first guitar. Photo: Kim Wijk

When you think back on Kent, what do you feel?
- I mostly feel that it was a fun and interesting trip, or a trip… It is half the time of my life that I have spent with Kent in some form.

- I jumped off again in 2014 and now it is almost 2020, so it will be even further away. I'm not that looking back, but I'm more interested in the future. Then we spend time in different contexts, so nothing has stopped either. Our families know each other so it is natural for us to see each other sometimes.

We had talked about it for quite some time, me and Jocke , so it was just about when.
How did it feel when it became official for Kent to shut down?
- We had talked about it for quite some time, me and Jocke , so it was just about when. When I threw in the towel for the second time in 2014, it was a pretty golden opportunity to finish off nicely.

- I had rattled some of what choices they would take. There were a few different routes you could take ‚you could do a Kentfest , Bråvalla or that thing. There were various deals and record deals on the table, but they made the decision themselves with their new management. I didn't want to leave anything in disarray, it's a kind of professional pride.

The whole ending from the video being released on March 14 to having their last gig at Tele2 Arena on December 17 felt so perfect. It really followed Kent's mantra, to finish at the top.

Many of the closing ideas come from the Adam and Jocke orchestration of the last breath in some way.
- If you go back to the team, they have surrounded themselves with smart people all the time. Many of the closing ideas I think come from Adam and Jocke - the orchestration of the last breath in some way.

It was great to just experience that feeling, to be surprised and flushed by the same surprise as everyone else.
When Martin Roos left Kent as their manager in 2014, Bud Fox Management took over.

- It was great fun to experience it from the outside and not know about everything, and not to be nervous about some bastard goofing with a timeline, or someone flopping on the record label. It always happens, no matter how much you plan, there is always someone who goofs. It was great to just experience that feeling, to be surprised and flushed by the same surprise as everyone else. Although I had some insight like that.

5d7ab0e93af021497b8277f5_martin-roos-kent-manager-fotograf-kim-wijk-16.jpg

They have also quit so you have nothing to relate to, that you are either in Kent or you are not.
What did the ending mean for you on a personal level?
- It will be the end of a chapter. Now we are all ex-Kent. They have also quit so you have nothing to relate to, that you are either in Kent or you are not. I have not been to Kent on two occasions , albeit in a different way, but now we all became ex-Kent.

- I have had a longer time to relate to it, so for me it was not a big change. But for them I think it became a bigger one. Especially for people all around and everyone who has worked with Kent for years. After all, the Kent concerts were a meeting place for everyone in our circle of friends - at pre-parties, after-parties and all major concerts and tours. Now the same type of constellation no longer meets.

The Kent concerts were also a meeting place for everyone in our group - at pre-parties, after-parties and all major concerts and tours.
- And in terms of work, I was the CEO of a company that was then private. After all, I knew we were going to be a municipal company from January 2015, so that's what I wanted to focus on. I worked with Kent and was CEO of a company, it was two worlds collide. One was 24/7 and the other was 8-17. It will be difficult to get together. It also became a road choice; what should i bet on going forward?

- I did Kent for 17 years, so two more years are the same. You are looking for new challenges and new energy in some way.

During the years you are surrounded by geniuses who play music, it is damn hard to even dare to take it. It gets almost a bit corny that 'Now I'll get there' as well.
A few years after Kent , Martin started his instrumental monotonous project Bureaucracy.

Come the start of the bureaucrat. naturally after Kent's end?
- During the years you are surrounded by geniuses who play music, it is damn hard to even dare to take it. It gets almost a little corny that "Now I'll get there" as well. I think that subconsciously, maybe consciously, you didn't even sit down at the guitar or the computer. It feels so forty that I have to come up with something when I'm sitting next to Jocke as well.

This is the first part of the interview with Martin Roos . In the second part, coming soon, we talk about his new instrumental project Bureaucracy. Until then, listen to the album "Trust" below which was released earlier this spring.

The only interesting part of part 2 of the interview with Martin Roos is this:

"You recently played at Live at Heart in Örebro. What happens next?
- I have Heikki and Mattias with me on guitar. We have said like this, that the little thing we pull in we should have for a trip. So we booked a trip to New York in October, so we'll see if we manage to get some small gigs there, that would be damn cool. So it's Örebro and New York. Says Martin and laughs.

- Then I got an assignment to do a cover on a Joy Division - actually, "Shadowplay" , to pitch it to a movie. There are probably a hundred songs that pitch, so it's a long shot. But if it doesn't, I will publish it anyway.

Martin starts the song and a monotonous and determined bass walk wanders like a steam roller with a creeping synth at its side. The room is filled with the characteristic sound of the bureaucracy. have created.

- There are some who have heard the music live and who are embarrassed to sing vocals and write lyrics. But it is very much at the stage of thought."

No idea what movie his cover features in.

- I have Heikki and Mattias with me on guitar. We have said like this, that the little thing we pull in we should have for a trip. So we booked a trip to New York in October, so we'll see if we manage to get some small gigs there, that would be damn cool. So it's Örebro and New York. Says Martin and laughs.

- Then I got an assignment to do a cover on a Joy Division - actually, "Shadowplay" , to pitch it to a movie. There are probably a hundred songs that pitch, so it's a long shot. But if it doesn't, I will publish it anyway.

Martin starts the song and a monotonous and determined bass walk wanders like a steam roller with a creeping synth at its side. The room is filled with the characteristic sound of the bureaucracy. have created.

- There are some who have heard the music live and who are embarrassed to sing vocals and write lyrics. But it is very much at the stage of thought."

Ok he pitched a cover for a movie so not likely it will feature in it. He's the second guy from Eskilstuna that age who has dealt with Lemmy as my division boss at COOP dealt with Lemmy as well a bit but not as much as Martin of course who actually worked with him.

Martin Roos is the man who managed to get the swedish melody fest to Eskilstuna for the first time. He always shops his groceries at my old place of work at the COOP at Tuna Park but I am a ICA kind of guy cause COOP is socialist and ICA is conservative.

Everything in Sweden from banks to papers to funeral homes are divived in left and right political options so everything you do here is a political statement.

I should add it is a instrumental cover cause I doubt Martin can sing.

MEET THE MICROBAN TEAM: PETER FINAN

From being the series champion of a legendary UK TV quiz show, to eating super-hot chickpea curry every single day - discover more about Peter Finan, Microban's Strategic Account Specialist and newest European team member.

Peter-Finan-Circular.jpg

1. How long have you worked for Microban?
I've been at Microban for one month and I am the newest member of the international team. However, my background in biocides spans more than 30 years, so I'm fully accustomed to the whats, whys and hows of antimicrobial technology.

2. What 3 traits define you?
Honesty, reliability, integrity.

3. What’s 1 interesting fact about you that people would be surprised to learn?
I was the series champion on a UK TV quiz show in 2015!

Mbns18_Peter-on-15-2-1.jpg

4. Where is the best place you’ve travelled to and why?
Portmagee, Co. Kerry, Ireland – so much history and beautiful scenery.

5. How do you define success?
Knowing you’ve made a difference.

6. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
Speak fluent Japanese.

7. What 3 words would you use to describe Microban International?
Pioneering, world-leading, collaborative.

8. What is your favourite thing about working in the world of antimicrobial technology?
Knowing that it can be applied to practically any material type. Antimicrobial technology is making such a difference to product cleanliness, performance, and longevity worldwide, and that truly amazes me on a daily basis.

9. If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?
The English novelist, George Orwell.

10. If you had to eat 1 meal every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Super-hot chick-pea curry!

https://www.microban.com/blog/meet-the-microban-team-peter-finan

8th July 2003
It's re-started... and I'm not finished yet!

Brainy Peter Finan overcame "black chair nerves" to win the first come-back Mastermind show.

Millions of viewers watched last night as the 35-year-old father-of-two from Idle beat the other contenders in a nail-biting opener of the new BBC2 quiz.

Peter was second after the first round with 12 points and no passes on his specialist subject of cult band The Smiths since 1982.

Then he clinched victory in the general knowledge round with 25 points - just one ahead of two runners-up on 24 each.

Peter, a member of the 1 in 12 quiz team in Bradford, said: "People tend to think quizzes are about intelligence. They're not. It's about how much rubbish you can store away up there.

"And I tend to remember things, thinking they just might come in useful."

He has been a long-time fan of The Smiths - taking a lot of ridicule in his younger days - and admits a high spot was seeing them at St George's Hall last October on his birthday.

"Lead singer Morrissey was just superb. I have always liked them, I just connected with their lyrics. I came in for some stick but now a lot of people agree with me. I have never stopped liking them."

Peter said his ability to focus on new question-master John Humphries, who has replaced Magnus Magnusson, got him through.

"You have to concentrate on what they are saying. It is easy to let your eyes and mind wander on to the audience in the darkness. You have to listen," he said.

Peter, a former Bradford Grammar School pupil, is a development chemist at Stephensons in Listerhills Road. He has also appeared on Channel 4 quiz 15 to One and is also due on The Weakest Link on BBC2 later this summer, which has already been recorded.

Peter said Anne Robinson was "really nice to me but a hideous trout to some of the others."

His wife Deborah and children Dorothy, eight, and Alfie, six, were all watching last night, awaiting the outcome which he had kept secret.

"I didn't believe I had won, I thought I was beaten. You don't know how many they're scoring in the studio until the end," he said.

"Watching it brought it all back because I couldn't remember a thing about the recording."

Peter now goes through to the Mastermind quarter finals where his specialist subject will be the History of Video games.

He got onto the show by replying to an advert and passing an audition in Manchester.

https://www.stephensonpersonalcare.com/

Speciality Soap Bases and Natural Ingredients
Creative chemistry since 1856

An indie guy writer born in 1968 like me.

Per Hagman about the glamor, the decadence and the wild 90s club
fef94b55-hagman.jpg

He is the generational painter who appeared just as frequently at the sinkers in Stockholm as at the casino in Monte Carlo. Today he lives a still life as the father of a little daughter, very up-to-date with an intimate stage show and a novel that will become a movie. Journalist Cyril Hellman meets Sweden's most mythical writer Per Hagman.

cf3040d8-king_profilbild-200x200.jpg

Cyril Hellman | Photo: Sanna Dahlén | Posted 2019-10-03 14:48 | Reading time: 22 minutes

It feels both surprising and quite obvious when King contacts me to do an interview with Per Hagman. 15 years ago we did a well-known interview for the newspaper Bon, the first before the book which was something of a comeback and which became his best-selling, To come home should be a beater . In the fall, he is up to date with the filmization of the second novel Pool and three evenings about Per Hagman's authorship at Södra Teatern, under the direction of Fredrik Strage.

During the 1990s, Per Hagman was one of the inland Stockholm's love hedonist. Not nice enough for the cultural world but loved by a young indie pop audience, not least the female. He was an obvious part of a decade when indie pop was mainstream and always cherished by the glittering gay and club culture. In the said To come home should be a butcher from 2004 he went to the bottom with the myths surrounding himself, he even consolidated them. The author was a 35-year-old man with a childish smile who began to question his life and lifestyle and was ready for a fresh start.

We meet over a lunch in Rosendal's garden at Djurgården one of the first sunny days of the spring a few weeks before Pool directed by Anders Lennberg will be shown to industry professionals at Cannes film festival. It is meant to be a feature film but maybe also a television series in three parts. Per Hagman has walked here.
- I love to walk. An age sign is that I love nature more and more and get greener fingers. Then it is perfect to walk out to Djurgården or to Hagaparken, to dampen abstinence after the real countryside. My dream has for many years been a cottage on the Västgötas plain.

We order a jug of tea and smoked shrimp with aioli and sit out in the garden. He is dressed in tracksuit, crumpled shirt and sneakers. He puts a pack of cigarettes in pink plastic cases on the table, the former was a yellow plastic case that he forgot about me when we recorded the pod together with the author Stig Larsson two years ago. Per Hagman has just moved back to Stockholm after a brief victory in Paris. Since he became a father for the first time and his daughter was born three years ago, Vasastan is his base.

• 18a3ecf7-skacc88rmavbild-2019-10-03-kl-13-48-03.png

Trenchcoat , Sealup / Lund & Lund Scarf , private / second-hand
    trousers , the Petrillo / Lund & Lund Shoes , Cheaney
"I became a slack b-celebrity trapped in a small Stockholm bubble."
We remember our first meeting in Paris on a dark, rainy January night in 2004. A friend had put us together. I was just back in Europe after a time as a correspondent in New York and was in divorce. Per Hagman didn't seem to have it any less tangled. It was rumored in Paris about triangle dramas with from Usama bin Laden's son to a member of the Swedish royal house. How was that now?
- I have a girlfriend who was with one of bin Laden's sons, a nice and typically fry-like young Saudi with a taste for Western sins. Today she is happily married to a rocky Jewish man, which probably causes Usama to turn in her grave. That was also when I happened to get to know Carolina Gynning, who was extremely kind to me when I sat there with a broken heart. One day she went home to Sweden to take part in something called Big Brother. Me and bin Laden's girlfriend bet on how many days it would take before she had sex in that house. Then she became a folk celebrity overnight. Different paths are crossed, without having any idea of the consequences and meanings. And besides bin Laden, before September 11, he was most notorious for Westerners for blowing up the US embassy in Nairobi. So when I was down at the Dubai World Cup to write about the horse races and the photographer said he was just about to get a plaque with bin Laden in Afghanistan, then he asked if I wanted to come along and write text. Since the photographer himself was a Palestinian, I did not have to worry about bin Laden's aversion to Westerners. I still thought it sounded a little scary, but I never had to accept yes or no, because then came September 11.

A few years earlier there had also been rumors that you had dated Princess Madeleine.
- I hung around in those circles and had an affair with a friend of Madeleine. When I was young it could of course be exciting with celebrities, and a princess is always a princess ... Not least if you are an innocent boy from Skövde, you think a princess is special. This fairy tale. The number of Se & Hör where Madeleine and I are on the cover I still have today. I think this is fun and can show my daughter when she grows up.

Per Hagman grew up in various places in Africa where his father worked as an architect with schools and refugee camps, but also in Skövde as a lone synth among rockers and hard rockers. He dreamed of becoming a pop star and wrote melancholy poetry and song texts for classmate Thomas G: son who would later become king of Swedish schlag. Per dreamed of a life around the Mediterranean cities. He and youth love Petra - whom the innkeeper recognizes from some of his novels - played the playboy and glamor princess on the Riviera and snorted icing sugar. Petra was the first to leave Skövde for a life as a model. But Per was not late then, the day after the student he moved to Stockholm and quickly worked his way up from dishes at the pubs in Birkastan to Santa's at the Hard Rock Cafe.

- Hard Rock Cafe at that time was different to today. Nervously trembling, I picked up the counter after Thåström and Bruno K Öijer cooked lunch, and in the evenings Yngwie Malmsteen and John Norum held court with heavy metal lolitor. The young waiters were engaged in cases of all kinds, drugs of all kinds. Naive as I was, I thought that was the way normal young Stockholmers lived. It took a while to understand that their habits were not ordinary 20-year-olds. It went pretty badly for several of them, some died, says Per Hagman, lighting a cigarette.

The time inspired the debut novel Cigarett .
- Because I was fascinated by the staff's depraved lifestyle, this became some kind of initiative for Cigarette . Before that I had only written poems but thought that now I should write a real book. I didn't dare take the word novel in my mouth, it sounded too pretentious. I wrote depraved scenes about the nights in Stockholm, which I very much considered. When I would put together the script for Cigarettit was almost like a deck of cards. I wrote on machine but could only afford to stencil a copy at the City Library and sent the original to Norstedts and the copy to Bonniers. Norstedts sent back by turning mail: "We have taken note of your script but unfortunately cannot place it in our publication, blah, blah, blah". While Bonniers heard and said they wanted to give me out. It was, of course, a very vain affirmation, for someone who had already stated in Skövde that one would probably not become a pop star ...

It came out a year later, in January 1991 and not since Ulf Lundell's Jack in 1976 had any writer struck with such thunder and bang.
- At that time there were few media, however TV3 had just arrived and I was in the program Tonight: Robert Aschberg where I was humiliated and mocked for my oblique air. But it made me the next day to be noticed everywhere. Seniors in town said "It was you who was on TV yesterday".

At the same time, it did not receive directly brilliant reviews.
- There were those who wrote that this was a low-water mark for Bonniers. “How can you publish this? No action and people doing drugs and going to a nightclub in Stockholm city! Ulf Lundell had in my books both joy of life and political consciousness in his books. Per Hagman has nothing! "

The book was right in time. It had the feel and the environment of the great young American writers Brett Easton Ellis and Jay McInerney of the time.
- During one summer I read Camus Stranger and Brett Easton Ellis Noll to lose. Both are characterized by a great cold and the same kind of language. For me it was a bit of an aha experience, can you write like this? When you are young, you are engulfed in what you read and influenced by good and evil. But Camus and Easton Ellis in all their glory - they couldn't know the 80's hooking environment in Stockholm, so it automatically became something of their own.

Cigarette 's final sentence reads: "I felt nothing, absolutely nothing."
- Yes, it's studied cool. If you read that book I understand that you can believe that the author is such a person. But it is just like the opposite. Many who write about how nice and gentle people they are may be the most vain narcissists and sociopaths in private.

After the breakthrough with Cigarett you left Sweden, just like Klas Östergren after the Gentlemen .
- The spring after my debut, I went to Nice for a few months and finished Pool. Since then there have been periods abroad, but also in Stockholm. After my 30s, I have spent long periods isolated on the Västgötas plain. But surely, what could be more fun for a shy boy from Skövde than to see himself in the newspaper, walk past tavern queues and lie with pretty girls? So of course, it was a lot of Stockholm's nightlife up to 30. It was certainly good for both confidence and self-esteem. But then I got the feeling of being a little too comfortable. I became a seedy b-celebrity trapped in a small Stockholm bubble. Then it almost felt like a duty to myself to travel and discover the world.

• 0cc00ed7-skacc88rmavbild-2019-10-03-kl-14-06-08.png

Hat , Lund & Lund
    Sunglasses , Ray-Ban
    Jacket , Whyred
"If ten percent of the rumors I heard about myself were true, I would have been dead a long time ago."
The sequel, the now cinematic pool , was ambitiously written but was almost mocked in its reception. Aftonbladets amusement chronicler Tom Hjelte called it "a belly splash". One who, on the other hand, took the book in defense was Stig Larsson's most born author of the time. In an interview with Karolina Ramqvist for the Entertainment Guide, he noted that "Per Hagman was simply too good looking to get good reviews".
- I've been scorned, scandalized. I understand that many have had Pool as their favorite book, but it is by far the narrowest of my books. Therefore, it is also fun that it is going to be a movie. It's not every day that a Swedish, 25 year old book becomes a movie.

They saw the person Per Hagman more than the author.
- Yes, you became a figure. For better or worse. On the one hand, it can be good to get an identity, but then it becomes a tedious cliche when strange rumors and myths are created. If ten percent of the rumors I heard about myself were true, I would have died long ago. Then I must blame myself. I always thought it was fun to say a little decadent and separate things, so as not to appear as yet another boring writer. So I understand if people were annoyed.

But the people of the night took you.
- Maybe there was a pent-up need? During the 1980s, young literature had been so incredibly postmodern and fine at the edge. I wrote about black clubs, late nights and photo models. No one else had done it, so maybe I hit something.

No one else with literary ambitions would probably have had a waiter as the main character. Then I know that many in the restaurant world thought I was unnecessarily blackmailing the industry, those who always fought for their bad reputation.

The first three novels - Cigarette , Pool and Volt - were relatively short when compared to When Kissing Innocents, which became your first major novel build.
- Well, after When innocents kiss I actually thought for the first time that "now I have written a real novel". It was written pretty much in Rome where I lived with a girlfriend for a period of time. It was with that book that I felt "I am probably still a writer". With the first three, it was a contemporary phenomenon that young people liked, but with When innocents kiss, the older fine-cultural world had to realize that they probably will not get rid of me.

The short story collection Skugglegender, which came next, received almost only good reviews. Per Hagman's friends teased him that now that DN paid tribute to him, he must leave.
- With the first books I got what is called "mixed reviews" and I can definitely appreciate clever or clever sawing and it is certainly useful to be a little sawn when you are young. But surely, with the Skugglegender, I probably became more respected in the fine world, at the same time as I felt increasingly uninterested in confirmation from that world, or b-celebrity gag-nightlife-Stockholm for that matter. Then it became more that I was either out on the Västgötas plain or out and about. Then I wrote Coming Home is supposed to be a best seller of all books. Then I only got nice reviews.

Many are critical of autobiographical novels. And when we saw you in Paris, five months before the release, I remember that you were worried about how the book would be received.
- I was afraid that everyone would dismiss it, because everyone was probably tired of autobiographical and documentary openings. There you may say "oh how wrong you were" - now everything is autobiographical and docus-soap. Soon it seems that hardly any books can be published with inventive documents.

• 171cd618-skacc88rmavbild-2019-10-03-kl-14-11-34.png

Leather jacket , private / second hand
After we have eaten the shrimp and the seagulls begin to gather around our table, we go and sort. I point out that it feels typical Swedish. Per apologizes with a "you have to take the custom where you come". In several of his books there is anger towards Sweden. This is that we live in a corner. Swedish writers from Stiernhielm to Strindberg, Eyvind Johnson to Maja Lundgren have published in Europe.
- It is a dangerous cliché role to sit abroad and whine about Sweden. I have realized that I am more Swedish than most. I love Sweden in a lot of ways. However, I think many people seem to forget to differentiate between state and society. People say "that is what society should do" when they really mean the state. Society, it's you and me. It is not possible to fix medical care or deaths in the suburb. On the other hand: Now we are banging on the table and smoking ban on outdoor dining! Look what a powerful modern and fresh state we are. Symbolic politics instead of politics, representative democracy instead of democracy, such things can be tiring. Can't you fix the health care before trampling with smoking bans on outdoor dining and fining the cafe owner who forgets to give receipt to someone who buys a coffee? That's how I often feel. And so our senseless lethargy, where we gladly accept that Swedish cash will soon be as useless as Egyptian pounds in Stockholm city, where the ATMs are gently taken away at a fairly rapid rate. We are so extreme in our willingness to be pushed by both the state and the banks, so extreme in our dream of being fresh and modern that we become the opposite instead.

One week last we met in the vasa. It is early morning and we are heading to a luxury villa in Nacka where Per will be plated for this article. We sit in the taxi and talk.
Your two autobiographical Coming home should be a butcher and Everyone's lover, nobody's sweetheart has become popular. It's as if you now have two authorships, one fiction-based and one autobiographical. The latter where the reader is most interested in the person Per Hagman.
- Yes, and they sell best. I am a little clumsy to that. It is not intentional. Sometimes you need to write therapeutically about yourself, but there is something split in becoming a figure. So, on the other hand, it has been since I debuted.

People have preconceived notions about you at the same time as you block them out with your autobiographical articles.
- Yes, it will be a paradox. Of course, I think I should be less "mythical" if I write about myself. On the other hand: I have always moved and am fascinated by and curious about life and life. It entails stuff that is fun to write about.

But I love fiction. Since then I have always written poetry, albeit for periods. But not so much of it is published. I have had poor self-confidence with poetry. It's poetry that I've read the most, and then you get the biggest complex around it.

Already in Coming Home is to be a schlager , which was written when you were in your 30-35 age, your liver begins to take its prize. Were you done with alcohol and drugs?
- For natural reasons, you are pretty tired of that part of life after 35, but I was never a self-destructive type. I am grateful that I do not have the inclination to get caught up in mistakes. Many people try lots of things when they are young, and I might have tried more and longer than most others because I had that freedom. But you get tired. Then it is clear that there has been a lot in that environment in that I have had a lot to do with both the night and the restaurant industry, both as participants and viewers and on both sides of the bar counter. Nowadays, I prefer early evenings and early mornings. I loved the night until I was 35. Then I realized that the day was more fun.

You have become a father in older days, it must have brought about a change.
- Yes, I remember asking a friend many years ago: "How can you make music now that you have children?" at the time that is over. I also understood that now. My daughter is the obvious compass in my life and makes in a funny way that you take advantage of your own working hours so much better.

You also get a responsibility and become bound.
- But it's also fantastic! For many years I had too much freedom, so it is wonderful to be "free from freedom" if you try to express yourself ingeniously. To have a daily life and routines, to adapt his life completely to someone else. But then I might not have known if I had a child at 25 and then could not continue to amuse me like all peers. Or if I had a traditional permanent job that required 200 hours a month.

When I read your books, it is a man who has volunteered in exile. Who does not buy the usual convention. At a price of health, loneliness and relationships.
- "The price of freedom" is a concept you can twist and turn around a lot, which my publisher thinks is what my latest book is about. I am fortunate to have been able to devote myself to my freedom indefinitely for many years. Then I tried to make the best of that situation and take advantage of it. Not least as a writer, it is a duty to travel and see new places. But now, my God, it's wonderful to have a fixed point, that is, my daughter.
- Cracked with pride, I have to take the opportunity to tell you that my daughter will debut as an illustrator this fall! Because then her dad will actually release her debut album! A boy's dream come true, thirty-five years late. In any case, it is a record company in Gothenburg run by Håkan Hellström's bassist who wants to make a limited twelve with high reading and other. Designer becomes Anders Malmströmer who made all my book covers over the years and when I sent a lot of pictures that he could use for the album cover I smiled with one of Stella which I think is fantastic. Without having a clue as to who made that drawing, he got stuck for it.

End of part 1

Part 2

During a break in the plate, we sit on the roof terrace and have lunch. The elegant villa could be taken from any Hagman novel, or why not the talented Mr. Ripley ? It has a Gothic ring wall around its swimming pool and views of the archipelago. In front of the panoramic window is a drink cart with brandy and calvados. Journalist Jessika Gedin once called Per Hagman a "Mr. Ripley minus murder ”referring to his social agility and fluidity between different classes of society.
- Haha, yes, that was positive, but may sound a little uncomfortable now that you say it. But people usually say that I am good at blending in everywhere, however I hope I am not a killer psychopath. For me, it is really just a natural fallacy for curiosity and courtesy, but on a deeper level it may be a consequence of growing up in so many different places in the world and being the only child. As a kid, I lived a little everywhere in Africa. I kept getting into new environments all the time. Sometimes they played with diplomatic children in Africa, sometimes working children in Skövde. Of course, I wanted to be accepted everywhere or blend in and get friends. It is a good idea to learn what is now called "social competence" as a child.

• 229f99e1-skacc88rmavbild-2019-10-03-kl-14-14-04.png

Sunglasses , Ray-Ban Morning Rock , Ruin Retreat
    Jeans , H&M Boots , Alfred Sargent
"I like both Eddie Meduza and Bryan Ferry."
A couple of weeks later we see Misshumasshu, a newly opened place in the Birger Jarl Passage serving Asian tapas, started by the recently mentioned star chef duo Adam & Albin. Here is the idea that Per will play discs during the summer. In the 80's and early 90's it was on the figs and restaurants in the Birger Jarl Passage that you hung as a young inner city resident. Per greets the staff comfortably. We order light dishes such as ceviche on tuna and salmon, fried broccoli and octopus salad and for the dry riesling.

You have written about how to saute kale and make your own cheese and snaps ("Hagman's temptation"). Are you as interested in food as it seems in your books?
- I love to cook. It's both fun and therapeutic, but that doesn't mean I'm a super chef or fine dining person. To the extent that I am a food snob, I am a kind of coke anti-snob. So: I appreciate perfect salty french fries with brewing coffee, as much as I have a sea urchin fetish. I can think of sea drills just because I probably wrote the longest article in the Swedish press, some time ten years ago. To cut them up and eat the orange meat with teaspoon, there is something very sexy in that. The fact that sea urchins' meat, unlike other seafood, is almost sweet, to the muscovado content, surprises many. Here I can also boast that my daughter is in this respect also the father's girl, because she loves sea urchins and oysters almost more than I do. Already when she was four months old she got to taste the oyster juice for the first time and since then she is completely hooked. In fact, it was she who taught me how to cut off the muscle and eat it too, which almost otherwise only French guys do.

When we saw you in Paris, you ordered sea snails that you ate with needle and mayonnaise.
- Yes, but I got a little tired of them. Otherwise, I like all kinds of seafood. I have lived in Sicily for periods both in Palermo and Lampedusa. The local fishermen at Lampedusa often get odd by-catches in the form of strange snails and sea creatures, which they usually long for on the bar counter at the island's only maple inn. This is fun, although unfortunately I have an easy time to get sick.

Do you come up with something in new Swedish literature and music?
- It would be presumptuous to say that I do, unfortunately I am a little lazy even though I love to discover new fun stuff. The other week I saw a new band called Grand Mojo and got very excited. They sounded like my old teenage idols The Cult, and every major company should fight about them now. A bit like when I saw Junior Brielle or BF / C the other year. Same with poetry. Quality is recognized in a second. Wish I could also drop names of new brilliant young poets, but there I am worse. When I came back to Stockholm last spring, I actually went to a poetry festival because I needed new poetry. Then I discovered the small publisher Trombone's small poetry booklet. Fantastic. One of their booklets begins with Helena Boberg's sentence: "woke up with a long wound next to me in bed". I am completely crushed that I did not write that sentence. When poetry is at its best, it is the greatest art form. Then I am ashamed to admit that I only discovered Tua Forsström now, which in the world of poetry is like discovering a rock star only after being elected to the rock 'n' roll hall of fame. I read extremely random, one day Jacques Werup's posthumous anecdotes, the other an old Karolinska professor's borderline and narcissism bible.

While portraying the emptiness of the upper class, in Friends for Life , you have portrayed the love of a raggart troubadour like Eddie Meduza.
- When I meet the director of Pool he always says that "you are so funny, you just like social group 1 or social group 4. Everything in between you skip". And yes, there is something in it. I like both Eddie Meduza and Bryan Ferry. At the same time, Bryan Ferry was actually a working boy from the beginning, the son of a miner.

You have depicted many bars, partly the glamorous ones on the Riviera and partly sunk bars as train station bars in Stockholm and Gothenburg.
- I have been quite uninterested in many bars and nightclubs for many years. The small universes that constitute neighborhood bars, on the other hand, are wonderful. It's probably not just about aging, but also about finding your safety. More decadent than a glass or two at a neighborhood bar, it rarely gets nowadays. Even though I am only in one place for a week, I want to become a pretense master immediately if I find a place with charm or soul. There is a silly micro-security of being "hello" with the bar owner and regular guests, and it becomes easier in ordinary, simple places. You learn more about a strange place by gagging with the tribesmen at a neighborhood bar than by cutting down a dozen museums.

In the case of taverns, "thin bands" is a recurring mantra in the latest book, which is often about what you are talking about now.
- Exactly. As a writer you are quite a solitaire and I was already a child. I like to travel alone. At the same time, I think most people have an instinctive need to "belong" and get social confirmation, however microscopic it may be. Drinking coffee in the same place every morning is like a security ritual.

You often write about loneliness. Do you feel alone?
- Yes and no. It sounds a bit sad when you say so there, because I have a lot of friends and acquaintances and love to be social. This with the loneliness and the exile has been about a need to sometimes take a step back to some kind of splendid isolationboth get a view of themselves, understand themselves and the world. But I write in the latest book about how that need began to fade a few years ago. How I spent a lonely Christmas in Palermo six years ago for the first time understood what people meant when they said loneliness could be something negative or boring. Until then, "loneliness" was only positive for me. Then it was another fantastic rocked when I had children. On the one hand it is extremely social in being with a child and the melancholy loneliness when one is not. But if children are now the "deepest band" one can have, then this "thin band" is important when you have the world's lonely profession. You become more grateful when you become social. For example, if I worked in offices and had meetings all day, then I would just like to lock myself in after work and be myself.

• 70a5e2c2-skacc88rmavbild-2019-10-03-kl-14-17-56.png

Sunglasses , Ray-Ban Scarf , private / second hand Shirt , private / second hand
    Belt, private / second hand Trousers , De Petrillo / Lund & Lund
Photographer: Andreas Johansson / Agent Bauer
Stylist: Gorjan Lauseger
Grooming: Amelie Holmberg
Photo assistant: Ola Helsmo Krondahl

Another recurring theme in several of your novels is prostitution. How is it that?
- You use people you meet and you want to understand them. For example, what triggers Swedish middle-class girls to make depraved things with Saudi Arabian sheikhs? But that subject is extremely complex. Where to start new? In inner turmoil, need for confirmation, adventurousness, fast money, poor judgment, self-destructiveness, youthful misunderstanding? After all, the majority of eighteen-year-old middle-class girls wouldn't sell even if they got tens of thousands of dollars, but some do. What is it? There are no hundred percent truths about the mechanisms that cause us to hurt ourselves, and it would not occur to me to try to come up with some here. That I have written about it sometimes has been a way of trying to understand. Well, in my broad sense in my writing, I've always been interested in people who are a little lost,
You asked me the other day: "How do you manage to write about murderers?" But the same thing applies to you. You have to get personally involved with these people.
- A good comparison. You who are writing and writing about gangsters, why choose an eighteen year old guy to take the step over and become a gangster? Sure there are socio-cultural explanations but even if you live in a very poor suburb, only a minority chooses that path. Similarly, most young girls do not choose to prostitute themselves. Being curious and thrill-seeking when you are young is natural, but sometimes it takes sad expressions.

Soon, a coffee table book about Stockholm's club life will be released during the 1990s with clubs such as Vegas and the G-club, photographed by Stefan Holm, where Per of course appears. Another would be the falsification of history.
- Stefan Holm was often out on Vegas himself with all the flamboyant gays in spring drill. Now he has finished a huge book with pictures from his archive and spotted the people in the pictures today, teased again and made a short interview with them. Among other things, he has found a photo of me where I am coarse with a young guy. Stefan Holm inquired and asked who the guy was. "No idea," I had to admit. After some detective work, he still managed to get hold of him. His name is André and then a vague toddler tumbled down. It turned out that he is now one of Paris's hippest hairdressers.

Where does your love for gay culture come from?
- I'm just a poor "amateur gay", as Rickard Engfors always called me. But apparently André talked about what he remembered about the episode and said, "We were so small then and we hung out in Vegas, and even though I was fiddling with Per Hagman we were always unsure if he was really gay or not." you are a bit silly have punished, because sometimes in recent years I have met women who told me how they were sucked on me in the 90's but were quite sure I was gay. After which I despaired burst out "But! How could you believe it? I always looked for you! ”Think what dream girls I missed.

The idea historian Carl-Michael Edenborg says that you described queer before it became queer.
- I do not know, but I remember when When Kisses of innocence came in 1997, the male protagonist was a cloakroom stranger, and therefore the book was published as "current gay literature" in the very few gay bookshops that existed. It was obviously flattering, but it says most about how there were still a few books with the smallest modern gay content in the 90s.

What do you think of his theory that you got bad reviews for portraying it at that time, typically feminine: luxury consumption and name-dropping of brands?
- It probably lies in it a bit. At that time, it was considered so incredibly ugly to mention brands, flirting and nightclubs in a novel. It was automatically considered very superficial, regardless of context. The law that a novel about a real worker guy is always better than a novel about a photo model still prevailed. Today, I think the whole thing about "branding" and brands is among the most outdated and uninteresting ones. To then generalize about what is typically male and female is equally boring. It may sound trite, but I have always been careful that these are people, and as you know, people can behave in millions of ways, whether they are men or women.

"Even a thread-thin man's boot can be a mental fat."
You also wrote a part about obesity in negative terms.
- The thing about obesity was that I wrote about mental obesity in different ways, yet there were a lot of people who were provoked by it just because I was also associated with romanticizing threadbare men's boots. But even a thread-thin man's boot can be a mental fat. Is mental obesity one of the big problems of our time? Our increasingly extreme vanity, narcissism and greed - and the more we seem to consume, the less conscious we seem to become.

Would you say that the people in your early 90s books are class travelers who take easy shortcuts?
- Well, that might be something in it. After all, I have never been drawn to writing so-called constructive, good literature where the good working boy and the bad upper-class strife fight for the same nice girl and the working boy gets her in the end. I love to watch such movies and read such books and lip to them as a child, but I cannot write such myself.

You might want to take shortcuts yourself?
- Well. As a writer, there are no shortcuts away from the gritty writing - but in life, of course. At the same time, I realize that I have no qualms about it. Maybe that's why I romanticized an unattainable dream of a carefree playboy life at a very young age. But I'm probably not that trixious career guy who takes on borrowed feathers until hopefully they attach, or the incredibly diligent work ant. As an adult, on the other hand, I find it incredibly useful with so-called real jobs. When I worked at a friend's tavern at Marstrand for a few years, many wealthy parents asked my friend for jobs for their children so that they would not become unbearable roasts during their Marstrand summers. In eight cases out of ten, these teenagers were completely useless as a dishwasher or resigned after two days,

Where are you digging today?
- Now I'm more than twice as old as when I debuted, but I really do the same thing. I continue to try to understand myself, life, people and the world. Hopefully I do it a little better than when I was 22, at the same time it just gets harder and harder to write. Then the sad insight finds that in maybe 20 years you almost understand what life is all about and then it is turned over. This fall, you are almost more up-to-date than ever.

This fall, you are almost more up-to-date than ever.
- Yes, it should then be an exhibition of old manuscripts and drawings I made, and it is extremely flattering if there is actually some kind of Hagman collectors who want to buy such stuff. Then it's the vinyl record Tamiami Records releases in 300 copies and the Southern Theater evenings with Strage. In addition, a limited retrospective book with poems and drawings and other things to mark my 30-year authorship, Cigarette was written and played out in 1989. And that's when the movie Pool where the premiere is constantly pushed forward, but November or January seems to be fairly safe recent bid.

The wine in our glasses is starting to run out. We talk about our mutual friend, the late Olle Ljungström, who we both lived with.

Olle, Brother Daniel singer Henrik Berggren and you were all hailed by Linda Skugge in Expressen Friday in the 90's.
- Olle and I spent the most time in the late 90's. He was very generous and let me borrow his apartment at Kungsholmen for periods when he wanted to live out in the archipelago and I myself commuted between Västgötaslätten and Stockholm. So sometimes we lived together as two grown-up teenagers. When we socialized the most it was probably the relationship, he was the tough big brother who was the most charming and sexiest cat in town. When it comes to Henrik Berggren, it warmed my heart when his comeback went so well this year. We are very superficial friends, but I feel some kind of kinship with him in this in that you are trapped in good and evil in his own voice. But that applies to all of us. You are incapable of doing anything but your own thing,

PHILIP WARKANDER
Sometimes I see him - the child who does not exist
Published Dec 25, 2019 at 8pm
640@60.jpg

The shadow of a boy.Photo: JULIA KRYLJOVA / SHUTTERSTOCK
640@60.jpg

Philip Warkander.Photo: OLLE SPORRONG

Philip Warkander has chosen not to have any children. Yet he sometimes glimpses the shadow of the little boy he never got.

This is a cultural article, where writers can express personal opinions and make judgments about artistic works.

Share article
FacebookTwitterE-mail
PHILIP WARKANDER
READ MORE: Chronicles by
Philip Warkander

CHRONICLE. When I was a kid, I often spent the summers at home with my grandmother's sister and her husband at Långedrag outside Gothenburg. My childhood is intertwined with memories of their pleasant villa and lush garden, West Swedish dialects and the sound of the trams outside. They had no children of their own and maybe it was so that my grandmother's children and grandchildren somehow became theirs too.

I myself am voluntarily childless. My siblings as well. In our family there is no next generation, no small parable to tell the family history. When we die, the memories are gone. Maybe it's as good as that, and surely we play a highly immaterial role in the history of the universe. I am happy with life and how things have become. But at the same time I think about what never happened. Sometimes when I'm home alone in my apartment, I think about how no one's childhood memories will be formed there.

Sometimes I wonder if it may be that in a parallel universe I have children.
Sometimes I even think that in the corner of my eye I can see the child who does not exist. An evasive, dark-haired figure, maybe a boy. Someone like me as a kid. There is an obvious void where someone could have existed but who now does not. Sometimes I wonder if it may be that in a parallel universe I have children, and that it is these shadows I have around me.

Emotional ties and relationships that could have existed, weekend routines and good night moments that will now never take place. Or it is only the mysteries of life that remind themselves. All potential never realized.

If I am so happy with life now, how come I still think about what never became? Perhaps it is because we long for context, to become a thread in life's intricate web. For me personally, as a now middle-aged man, the issue is very much about time. When others my age stress to balance work with leisure and relationships, in comparison I have not the worst many balls to juggle.

I do not complain.
Of course, I also sit in job meetings every now and then, have to deal with deadlines, manage a visit to Ica and turn to the laundry room. My infertility becomes most evident in all the time I have compared to others my age. Perhaps this is what I imagine in the blink of an eye: the homelessness that child freedom gives rise to is manifested in imagined shadows around me, where the children could have been. It is also time that allows me to ponder what the meaning of my existence is when it is not about giving life to new generations.

I do not complain. Am satisfied with the idea that my possessions will be found in the Ants' barrels instead of inheriting younger relatives. But I cannot deny that in my satisfaction there is a line of melancholy, a void after the child that never became more than a shadow.

Philip Warkander is an associate professor of fashion science and an employee of Expressen's cultural site.

20191226_092322-320x640.jpg

a corresponence between musician wenzel and green party politician vollmer on fassbinder's ouevre and how it preserved the 'old federal republic' before reunification in film.
some interesting insights.

Last edited by a moderator:
JOHAN HAKELIUS
The absurd becomes normal - who wants to be transphobic?
JOHAN HAKELIUS Published 28 Dec 2019 at 06.04
531@60.jpg

Maya Forstaat, who believes that "woman" is associated with having female genitalia, got fired from a British think tank.
640@60.jpg

Author JK Rowling faced harsh criticism after tweeting support for Maya Forstar.Photo: LEFTERIS PITARAKIS / AP

You had to be generous to see female genitals in the pussy caps, those pink hoods that feminists wore to protest Donald Trump. But quarrelsome illness is a strong driving force.

This is a chronicle. Analysis and positions are the writer's.

Share article
FacebookTwitterE-mail
540@60.jpg

JOHAN HAKELIUS
READ MORE: chronicles by
Johan Hakelius

The pussy caps are now banned. They were transphobic, as they indicated that all women have female genitalia.

To try to be understandable: the pussy caps excluded women with penis. Such as insensitive and uninitiated would count as men, who wish they were women.

The sentence above is also considered transphobic. That is one of the subtleties of this subject: those who try to make themselves understood by people who are not doctorate in queer theory will inevitably be plagued. The language itself has become a ruling technique to banish dissenting opinions. And, as always in LGBT conflicts, there are new, exciting acronyms to learn.

How about TERF? It means "transexclusive radical feminist".

Women who apologized for their pink caps were declared TERFs. In transcripts, TERFs are racists. They just want to defend women's rights for women who have female genitals.

Do you follow?

Classic woman hat, then. Unless the senders were women with a penis.
If you twitter Twitter, you can find painting fantasies about murders, mutilations and abuse of TERFs. Most people in front of them seem to be just women with a penis, judging by phrases like "Terfs can choke on my girldick", roughly "Terfare can put my girl cock in the throat".

Classic woman hat, then. Unless the senders were women with a penis. Now it is instead transphobic to criticize the formulations. The same logic applies to the abuse of women: that men physically give up on women. When the hate fantasies against TERFs go into action, as when a sixties feminist was cheated on by a group of young men in London the other day, it's not women's abuse.

You understand why, right?

It wasn't men who beat a woman. Calling young men for young men just because they happen to be young and have a penis is transphobic.

Those who defend an abusive TERF are themselves automatically TERFs.

Clever.

It was incidents of this kind that caused Maya For stater, a feminist and researcher at a think tank for international development in London, to problematize the idea of women with penis. If everyone can decide for themselves what gender they belong to, regardless of gender, it will erode women's rights. Women will end up in difficult and threatening situations.

She got fired.

A court has made it clear that Forster's view that gender has to do with genitalia is abusive.
Forst is a radical leftist type. She defends the rights of trans people to live as they please. But she believes that "woman" is associated with having female genitalia. Dressing as a woman or acting stereotypically female does not make you a woman.

Now she is called transphobic. Swedish newspapers - Dagens Nyheter and Aftonbladet , for example - repeat the label uncritically. A court in the United Kingdom has made it clear that Forster's view that gender has to do with genitalia is abusive.

Harry Potter's mother, JK Rowling, tweeted that it was unreasonable to have women fired because they found that sex exists. Now she also counts as transphobics.

It's elegant. Women with a penis are a near-perfect creation: the aggressive over-excitement of the sacrificial skirt. A dream for every bigot puritan. And then it becomes absurd normally, with the help of the media. Who wants to be transphobic?

Now the rock has reached its historic end
LADY GAGA Published Dec 28, 2019 at 8pm
640@60.jpg

Rasmus Fleischer.Photo: MONDIAL
640@60.jpg

Lana del Rey in Stockholm at the Globe Annex 2013.Photo: TOMMY PEDERSEN / EXPRESSEN

The 2010s were the decade when rock became history.

Rasmus Fleischer tells what came and what disappeared.

This is a cultural article, where writers can express personal opinions and make judgments about artistic works.

Share article
FacebookTwitterE-mail
ESSAY. Ten years ago there was a widespread feeling that pop music was idling. All that remained was a loop of pasties and nostalgic revivals. This, for example, claimed music critic Simon Reynolds in the book "Retromania". Nevertheless, the 2010s came to deliver genuinely new music that made these fears drop. If something ended in the 10s, it was not the history of music, but its male dominance, when women took up significantly more space in most music scenes. But here it is not primarily about the artists or their messages, but about how the music actually sounded.

640@60.jpg

Avicii.Photo: PELLE T NILSSON / STELLA PICTURES
During the first half of the decade, pop music was characterized by maximalism. It already started with MIA and Lady Gaga . Pop music whose structure and framing corresponded to the attitude of life called "yolo", ready to take out all the turns and greedily devour every emerging influence. Within the commercial dance pop called EDM, maximalism solidified into a formula: tensions built up to a maximum, and then released into an ecstatic "drop".

Giant festivals with spectacular laser shows could pay millions for an EDM star to press play and wave their arms for an hour. But around 2015, the EDM bubble burst and its producers spread across a wider field of leaderboard pop.

640@60.jpg

Lady Gaga during the Monster Ball tour 2011.Photo: MICHAEL BUSH / STELLA PICTURES / UPI
Pop music slowed down to a soft and smoothed sound, freed from heavy throws between emotional states, perfectly adapted to Spotify's playlists on the theme "chill", intended to roll in the background. Lana del Rey is the ultimate example: a musical equivalent to the antidepressant drugs that smooth out both peaks and valleys. The tendency has been interpreted as a longing for comfort in a troubled time. It's probably no coincidence that the big trend break in the pop music of the decade coincided with Brexit and Trump .

This came
AutoTune

The algorithm was developed in order to discretely "correct" a recording afterwards. But when the parameters were screwed to the max and the result was fed back into the vocalist's headphones, Autotune became the first genuinely new musical instrument of our century, which completely redefined rap music. It is no longer the bare vocal cords that are best suited to explore contemporary emotional landscape. Grief, dissociation and loss of the future are depicted by murmuring in the eerie zone between man and machine.

Atmosphere

All music in some sense becomes ambient, when its given place is in a playlist. Verse and chorus lose meaning when musical forms are rather built through sound design. At the same time, the tendency is noticed that tonal harmony (chord sequences) is abandoned in favor of modal sounds - in rap, dance music and all kinds of psychedelic pop. Not since the Middle Ages, bureaux have played such a big role.

rave

The hour hand has already rounded the bottom of the watch face and in the dark room is built a poly-rhythmic sound sculpture where walls of noise and floor of base enclose a dance floor that continues to fight in 4/4. The underground rave culture found itself, in opposition to the commercial EDM bubble. Its techno-avant-garde is led by younger female DJs who have broken with the cool minimalism that characterized the zero-zero dance floor. Technon has recently become faster, bolder and tougher. Rave has been globalized, larger than ever and in obvious alliance with both sound art and queer politics.

This disappeared
melodies

The basic elements of music are melody, harmony, tone and rhythm. Western music tradition has long placed the first two in the center, while contemporary dance music makes an opposite priority. The decade was certainly not the decades of the tunes, so much can be said. Long lines were replaced by short "hooks" and choruses could settle for two to three notes. The downsizing of the melodies seems logical as hip hop increasingly sets the standard for all pop music production.

"Electronic Music"

Almost all music heard is now fully or partially produced in computer programs such as Ableton Live (initially developed by technoduon Monolake). Loops are stacked on loops, recordings are colored with plugins. The production techniques from techno and hip hop came to characterize all other music genres, including art music, in the 10's. In the end, only P2 kept talking about "electronic music".

Pop

Far into the zero, the old pop saga was generally in demand. Whoever starts with some friends - four guys - form a band, get a rehearsal room, stand on stage together, get a record deal, give out albums, split, reunite. Nowadays, this standard only applies in purely retrogenic, hard rock type. The new music of the decade was only exceptionally from a band. As a sender there was often a long line of individual artist names, or a more diffuse collective. People who never had a permanent job create music in collaborative forms that are more volatile than the old band form.

640@60.jpg

Gustav Ejstes sang that "our music is dead" as early as 2004.Photo: HENRIK MONTGOMERY / TT
"Our music is dead, pop needs support," Dungen sang as early as 2004. Zero numbers swam over by men with guitars who beloved rock revival, without coming up with anything new. In the 10s, however, the guitars had to collect dust in the wardrobe.

Rock's death? It doesn't have to be so dramatic. The life outlook of rock music is comparable to that of Baroque music, or jazz music. By this is meant that rock, just like baroque and jazz, is now counted as cultural heritage. If the heritage is well managed, it will remain as an enriching influence even for future generations' music. However, we should not expect rock music to ever be able to reborn itself in new forms that express other than nostalgia. The traditional line of rock seems to have reached its historic end, and its conventions for bodily living, its revue, are passé.

Something came to an end in the context of the broader music history - which has evidently continued to move forward.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom