What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

Goodbye Columbus by Phillip Roth. My first of his for whatever reason and god wasn’t that amazing. especially for a debut novel I was very impressed with his language. A sweet mix of the poetic and frank

Oh, don't be afraid (or be afraid). Human beings will survive, but it is not the survival of the fittest as someone deduced after reading Darwin. It's the survival of garbage.
Glad to be in the company of a fellow Mozanthrope!

Scoop by Evelyn Waugh. Loved brideshead and was lukewarm on the vile bodies so I’m hoping this will push my enjoyment of his work back up

686E319E-19E7-4AF7-AA89-BA041B191489.jpeg

i read this strangely appealing short story by irish writer william trevor called "a meeting in middle age" from 1966.
mrs da tanka and mr mileson meet in a hotel to spend the night together. she pays him for that because she wants to divorce her second husband and single mr mileson needs the money. so consequently sex is not part of the bargain. they have dinner together and their conversation turns nasty early on with mrs da tanka ridiculing mr mileson for still being a bachelor and probably a homosexual, and he telling her that she is a frightful woman who would make all men's lives miserable.

i liked this part here in particular when they are both lying next to each other in the cold hotel bed entangled in their own thoughts:
"he would leave behind little, he thought. he would die and there would be the things in the room, rather a number of useless things with sentimental value only. ornaments and ferns. reproductions of paintings. a set of eggs, birds eggs he had collected as a boy. they would pile all the junk together and probably try to burn it. then perhaps they would light a couple of those fumigating candles in the room, because people are insulting when other people die."

so both characters would probably never have met or come together "naturally" as both inhabit completely different spheres in life, mrs da tanka as the representative of an outgoing and in-your-face society and mr milestone, the unambitious loner, who long ago has decided not to become a part of that horror.

Universal Harvester by John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats. I'm not sure I'm sold on it, despite being 100ish pages in.

i read j.g. ballard's "memories of the space age" this morning and was fascinated by the idea of putting "disappearing time" and even the end of time into words. so i watched this docu here which led to my considering him one of the most interesting men that ever walked this planet. he was a very keen observer and never fell short of drawing extremely lucid conclusions about humankind's present state of mind and how it is reflected in our societies' brutal and oppressive inner workings. i liked it when he explained why people love shopping so much, one reason being that they crave discipline, and this activity being one of the few that still answers this need; our consumer culture offering most of all things a "fascism lite".

i'm not that interested in his two bestsellers "kingdom of the sun" and "crash" at the moment, but probably will continue with his earlier science fiction novel "the drowned world".

do you live in a shed?
Wtf :confused: No, I currently live in my brother’s 6 bedroom house that he got 2 years ago and we’ve been slowly fixing up, just one big room off the garage to do now. That was going to be mine, much bigger than the room I’m in now, but I’m gonna move instead.
Anyways, any pic of me with cigs out is prolly on the semi enclosed patio in the back, we don’t smoke indoors :straightface:

Wtf :confused: No, I currently live in my brother’s 6 bedroom house that he got 2 years ago and we’ve been slowly fixing up, just one big room off the garage to do now. That was going to be mine, much bigger than the room I’m in now, but I’m gonna move instead.
Anyways, any pic of me with cigs out is prolly on the semi enclosed patio in the back, we don’t smoke indoors :straightface:
oh that explains it. its just that all your food pictures looked rather... rustic-y. oh yes, I see the carpet now.

oh that explains it. its just that all your food pictures looked rather... rustic-y. oh yes, I see the carpet now.
That particular table is one of a 4 piece set that my father bought in South Africa, they are immensely heavy and made from a now extinct wood that was used on a British rail line that basically went across the continent from north to south.
Much of the wood was repurposed at some point and voila, these indestructible tables. My brother promises me someday he’ll refinish them and then once polished they actually look quite glorious :o

That particular table is one of a set that my father bought in South Africa, they are immensely heavy and made from a now extinct wood that was used on a British rail line that basically went across the continent from north to south.
Much of the wood was repurposed at some point and voila, these indestructible tables. My brother promises me someday he’ll refinish them and then once polished they actually look quite glorious :o
I don't think it's just the table, I think it's the way you have everything splayed out on it: keys, lighter, phone. it reminds me of when you go camping.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom