What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

At the start of this year I thought I’d write down and keep a list of what I read this year for S&Gs and this being the middle of the year I thought I’d take stock. Despite being constantly preoccupied I managed to read

Perfect by Rachel Joyce
Brideshead revisited by Evelyn Waugh
The vile bodies
Generation x by Douglas coupland
Microserfs
Vampire junction by s p somtow
The fall by Albert Camus
Tampa by Alissa nutting
Blood meridian by cormac McCarthy
The orchid keeper
Raise high the roof beams & seymour an introduction by j d Salinger
The catcher in the rye
The sense of an ending by Julian Barnes
Talking it over
The bonfire of the vanities by Tom Wolfe

Hopefully I’ll start city of night soon when it arrives

I finally got around to reading Coal Black Mornings, Brett Anderson's autobiography.

Apparently, he tells his wife every time he goes to the toilet. Made me think of Rifke. :)

I've only managed 20 pages so far but can say it's very well written and he comes across as very likeable and self-deprecating. There's something about his way with words, his rhythm and rhyme that I just love. All the things that made the lyrics so captivating are present in his prose; I hope he will write more.

Read the alteration by Kingsley amis which is alright. I'm not as big a fan of his genre excursions like the green man or the alteration vs stuff like girl 20 one fat Englishman or ending up. Now I've finally started city of night by John rechy which is fantastic so far (im not that far yet). Sixties novel, semi autobiographical story about a gay man molded by his impoverished childhood and hatered for his father who spends time wandering around America after his discharge from the army detailing the gay subculture of the time and the loneliness he finds in city after city

read eudora welty's short story "no place for you, my love" which is the best thing ive read for a long time. it's mostly about a woman in love with someone else and a married man who accidentally meet at a luncheon party in new orleans. being northeners they feel like strangers among the southern crowd while suffering from the heat. they take a road trip in the guy's car leading them south of new orleans which turns into some kind of dazed and hypnotic journey through the bayou scenery near the mississippi river. really loved the descriptions of the bayou setting with its crayfish crossing the road and an oppressing heat keeping the characters in a state of "deliberate imperviousness" which makes it impossible for them to get to know each other. this imperviousness is contrasted with some "agitated" moments throughout the story that have a certain surreal quality.
anyways, ive noticed that i am very much in a bayou state of mind at the moment while lying here in my sick bed.
if someone can recommend more bayou stories or films, i'd be very happy to get to know about them.

She’s great. Her books and her photography

Istanbul - A Tale Of Three Cities, by Bettany Hughes. I bought it with the vouchers I received for 30 years service at work.

Interesting, but with time you understand politics is not a so serious matter as most people believe, in fact it's very funny. BUT it has serious consequences.
It’s a great book, really just shows how we’ve replaced the church oligarchy with another :straightface:
One that doesn’t really care about morality like at all :crazy:

read eudora welty's short story "no place for you, my love" which is the best thing ive read for a long time. it's mostly about a woman in love with someone else and a married man who accidentally meet at a luncheon party in new orleans. being northeners they feel like strangers among the southern crowd while suffering from the heat. they take a road trip in the guy's car leading them south of new orleans which turns into some kind of dazed and hypnotic journey through the bayou scenery near the mississippi river. really loved the descriptions of the bayou setting with its crayfish crossing the road and an oppressing heat keeping the characters in a state of "deliberate imperviousness" which makes it impossible for them to get to know each other. this imperviousness is contrasted with some "agitated" moments throughout the story that have a certain surreal quality.
anyways, ive noticed that i am very much in a bayou state of mind at the moment while lying here in my sick bed.
if someone can recommend more bayou stories or films, i'd be very happy to get to know about them.
View attachment 44866
this is the window seen from my sick bed with a desert wind blowing through the roofs of the houses and into my humble abode after reading eudora welty's story. i felt very much like a crayfish that has ended up on a road
sometimes I get in a bayou kind of mood too and wonder where to turn. there doesn't seem to be enough bayou books and films out there. well I don't know about 'bayou' but for 'pervasive southern' mood 'midnight in the garden of good and evil' is a pretty good film, if you haven't seen it. or for books, there's Truman capotes "other voices, other rooms" which has previously been discussed on this forum and which is one of my favourites. that's all I've got at the moment. maybe you've lost the lust for bayou related things anyway, now that it's so hot.

Yes, people have been kissing rings for thousands of years.
Don’tcha just ever get the feeling though that well, as the planet begins to boil at least in part cuz of us, well, it’s all coming to a head?
I mean, I’ve no kids so I don’t care that much, humanity going extinct sort of makes sense really, still a bit sad though, feel like could be different, but a United federation of planets just ain’t gonna happen...

Don’tcha just ever get the feeling though that well, as the planet begins to boil at least in part cuz of us, well, it’s all coming to a head?
I mean, I’ve no kids so I don’t care that much, humanity going extinct sort of makes sense really, still a bit sad though, feel like could be different, but a United federation of planets just ain’t gonna happen...
when I see people walking around with headphones in their ears, glued to their phones or some screen or another, completely oblivious and indifferent to whats going on around them, I think "good".

Oh, don't be afraid (or be afraid). Human beings will survive, but it is not the survival of the fittest as someone deduced after reading Darwin. It's the survival of garbage.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom