Whatever happened to Alain Whyte?

Girl-Afraid

Least Likely To
Sorry if this question has been asked before but I don't understand why he left.
I wish moz would bring him back to the fold.
Oh and on another note he was ridiculously hot back in the day...

He sold out, big time, in order to survive. He is part of a songwriting co-op in LA. He has co-written tracks for Rhianna, Black Eyed Peas, Chris Brown, and Madonna. And no, none of this is a joke.

He sold out, big time, in order to survive. He is part of a songwriting co-op in LA. He has co-written tracks for Rhianna, Black Eyed Peas, Chris Brown, and Madonna. And no, none of this is a joke.

Good God almighty. But why?!
Did he leave or did moz push him out?

Good God almighty. But why?!
Did he leave or did moz push him out?

No one seems to know. Everyone has theories, mental illness, bad back so can't hold a guitar during live shows, competition with Boz so he left, etc.

No official statement by either party has been released.

I love Morrissey's music and don't care for Rihanna's music although I do think she is very talented. But I'd rather play on Rihanna's record than tour with Morrissey just for practical reasons. If the money is the same it's much nicer to stay at home. At this point it would be the only choice.

But knocking people that can write hits just because you don't like the artists doesn't make you smart or show you have good taste. Writing hits is a longtime tradition and I can see the appeal of having that type of career as opposed to being a sideman for Morrissey and wearing a ridiculous costume, etc. I love Morrissey's music but I don't want to hang out in that environment. I'd rather blaze trees with Rihanna. ;)

Re:

Some people answered the question to Amy's thread.

Unfortunately trolls like you also added their comments.

Just goes to show how stupid and uninformed you are...which isn't really a surprise to anyone here.

Look what I discovered because this discussion made me curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Fyi

Cliff notes:

* Alain's back is injured in Vegas in 1999 by a fan who glomps him.
* Boz becomes jealous because Alain has more songs on the albums and composed more singles...meaning a bigger paycheck.
* Alain's back starts to act up on the Quarry tour and he requests a touring break.
* Morrissey "temporarily" replaces Alain with Lil' Barry and later with Jesse Tobias.
* Between Quarry and Ringleader, Alain forms Red Lightning, records an EP and plays a couple of shows. He also expresses eagerness to get back into recording & touring with Morrissey.
* Morrissey keeps "temporary" "guitarist" Jesse Tobias on for Ringleader as a songwriter and lead "guitarist".
* Alain is demoted from lead guitar during the Ringleader session in favor of Jesse. He is also only shown playing drums in the music videos from the album.
* Alain is not invited to tour with the band for the Tour of the Tormentors MMVI and all subsequent tours.
* Alain shows up to play for the Refusal sessions and they won't let him in the studio. Morrissey sends Boz out to the parking lot to tell him to go away.
* Alain gets married and decides to work with other artists in various positions such as composer, guitarist and producer.

FIN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither Morrissey not Alain has ever made an official statement, but from the bits of info people have managed to prise out it certainly appears that Alain was pushed out of the band by Moz, initially for health reasons, and was very upset when he had to leave. He was in tears on stage at his last gig in Dublin, and despite Morrissey assuring people his absense was temporary and he wasn't being replaced by Jesse, when it came time to record Years of Refusal he was refused entry to the recording studio and effectively given the boot. He'd already been axed away from the live band, now he wasn't wanted in the studio, and since then his songwriting partnership with Morrissey ended. I guess Moz just prefered Jesse and thought it was time to make a clean break, which was one of the most stupid things he's ever done.

Alain could just spend the rest of his life sitting by his guitar, crying, and waiting for Morrissey to change his mind...but instead he's happily getting on and making a succesful music career with other people. Not sure why people are bitching about that. What the hell do they expect him to do?

Pure speculation this bit - but 'I'm OK by myself'. A lot of people thought that might be a lyrical reference to Johnny Marr, but really - it's been so many years I'm sure Moz is well over that particular bust up. I wonder if the song was actually about Alain?

Anyone else notice how as soon as Alain went, Boz suddenly gets given the grand term of 'musical director'? Unfortunately it also marks the period where the band stop being individuals, and start wearing whatever matching costumes Moz decides to dress them in for the show. Kind of glad Alain didn't hang around to get demeaned in that fashion. Maybe he got given the boot because he wouldn't wear speedos on stage? ;)

Maybe he got given the boot because he wouldn't wear speedos on stage? ;)

Morrissey sees the band as a collection of twink puppets now...

Doesn't Boz have his own studio and label? Why doesn't Moz should release his new album through Boz's label's distribution network? maybe even create his own label with Boz in charge? That way, he and Boz get all the money! Or does Moz know that no one will buy his crap anymore, and doesn't wanna take the risk of spending his own money?

Re: Fyi

Morrissey sends Boz out to the parking lot to tell him to go away.

He also had Johnny fire Andy (and bring him back) and possibly a manager or 3. And it was implied in an interview with Johnny that he was asked to get rid of someone else (Johnny doesn't say who, maybe Andy again), and that was the final straw in him going "on vacation". When he returned, the news was leaked to the Brit press he had quit (I wonder who did that?). And he decided then to really never come back.

Great Job, Moz! Great tunes, total prick.

Morrissey sees the band as a collection of twink puppets now...

Doesn't Boz have his own studio and label? Why doesn't Moz should release his new album through Boz's label's distribution network? maybe even create his own label with Boz in charge?

He thinks major stars should be on major labels from what I have read. He doesn't need a label to release a record at this point anyway but that's how some people are and they see it as a virtue until it's too late to snap out of it. Being retro is not cool when it ends your career.

Back
Top Bottom