What would you prefer Morrissey to do next?

What would you prefer Morrissey to do next?

• Total voters
either of the top three. certainly dont wanna see him retire but thats me

Nosebleeds reunion tour, followed by a celebrity wedding with Damon, then pairing up with Mike Joyce to run the London marathon dressed in a pantomime horse outfit (Joyce getting the rear end, naturally).

I voted album. Obviously easier said than done and he doesn't appear to want to DYI that shit.

I'd say call up Maher and add him to the current lineup and call the band "the Half-Smiths" and just be done with it. They'll get immediate media attention and be able to tour and do whatever the f*** they want.

Otherwise honestly just retire. Hate to say it but you need to know when to hang the boots up if you're not willing to adapt.

I said "new novel" but would be thrilled with a collection of essays in the vein of the "Kirk Douglas" one on TTY. Or Part II of his autobiography. Either way, it seems it'd be easier to publish a book-and less physically demanding-than staging a new tour or recording a new LP.

Last edited:
yes, morrissey should write essays! self-examining ones. i cant think of anything that would be more fascinating, and it'd be the perfect format for his great wit. other than that im not too invested in what morrissey does next. im not one of these people that always needs something new. just whatever makes him happy.

I'm not sure Morrissey has the discipline or the refinement to succeed at essay writing. Writing a successful essay is all about revision and rethinking and bringing ideas cohesively together. You have to be willing to admit when it's not working and be able to look at the ideas in different ways.

Morrissey's novella shows that he needs practice with these elements and that's fair enough. I was shit at writing (even though I had the raw talent) until recently and since Morrissey didn't go through university and didn't happen to have a great professor who helped him refine these key skills, he's lacking in polish and organization of ideas.

He has tons of raw talent but that only gets you so far. If his true-to-you posts are to be taken as examples of his short essay writing skills, they need work.

What do other folks think about Morrissey doing a cover album? I would love to hear him do some classics and some cool songs that are in his wheelhouse.

Billy Fury... take your pick
Elvis Presley, "(Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame"
Frank Sinatra, "For Once in My Life"
Chris Isaak, "You Owe Me Some Kind of Love"
Leonard Cohen, "Everybody Knows"
Neil Diamond, "I Am... I Said"
R.E.M., "The One I Love"
U2, "Please"
Shakin' Stevens, "Cry Just a Little Bit"
Tom Jones, "Sex Bomb"

You get the idea.

I'm not sure Morrissey has the discipline or the refinement to succeed at essay writing. Writing a successful essay is all about revision and rethinking and bringing ideas cohesively together. You have to be willing to admit when it's not working and be able to look at the ideas in different ways.

Morrissey's novella shows that he needs practice with these elements and that's fair enough. I was shit at writing (even though I had the raw talent) until recently and since Morrissey didn't go through university and didn't happen to have a great professor who helped him refine these key skills, he's lacking in polish and organization of ideas.

He has tons of raw talent but that only gets you so far. If his true-to-you posts are to be taken as examples of his short essay writing skills, they need work.
haha okay. im not even going to bother anymore. im just not.

What do other folks think about Morrissey doing a cover album? I would love to hear him do some classics and some cool songs that are in his wheelhouse.

Billy Fury... take your pick
Elvis Presley, "(Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame"
Frank Sinatra, "For Once in My Life"
Chris Isaak, "You Owe Me Some Kind of Love"
Leonard Cohen, "Everybody Knows"
Neil Diamond, "I Am... I Said"
R.E.M., "The One I Love"
U2, "Please"
Shakin' Stevens, "Cry Just a Little Bit"
Tom Jones, "Sex Bomb"

You get the idea.

He's not going to do any songs by anyone who has sold more or is more famous than he is. :D It worked great for Johnny Cash and it would work great for Morrissey, but all the songs would have to be sort of obscure. I can't imagine him doing any U2 or REM because they used to be his competition a million years ago.
But I'd like to heat him do some rockabilly and 50's rock. He's already done this kind of thing, but he could probably have a hit record if the songs were covers. He likes 60's girl groups and probably knows some real gems that he hasn't already lifted the melodies from.

haha okay. im not even going to bother anymore. im just not.

Would you care to elaborate?

- - - Updated - - -

He's not going to do any songs by anyone who has sold more or is more famous than he is. :D It worked great for Johnny Cash and it would work great for Morrissey, but all the songs would have to be sort of obscure. I can't imagine him doing any U2 or REM because they used to be his competition a million years ago.
But I'd like to heat him do some rockabilly and 50's rock. He's already done this kind of thing, but he could probably have a hit record if the songs were covers. He likes 60's girl groups and probably knows some real gems that he hasn't already lifted the melodies from.

I would love for him to go back to a Kill Uncle Tour (rockabilly)/Your Arsenal (rockabilly+) kind of sound but I just don't see it happening.

i dont think hed do a covers album because whatd be the point. theyre very boring and usually just contract fillers but hes already done live covers of elvis and lou reed so i doubt itd be about hwat they sold. it just seems like a pointless endeavor. also of course no great novel has ever been produced by anyone outside of university. thats like crazy talk

I'm still hopeful that he might top himself. In my heart of hearts, though, I know he's all talk.

i dont think hed do a covers album because whatd be the point. theyre very boring and usually just contract fillers but hes already done live covers of elvis and lou reed so i doubt itd be about hwat they sold. it just seems like a pointless endeavor. also of course no great novel has ever been produced by anyone outside of university. thats like crazy talk

On the other hand a reworking of a famous song might produce a radio-friendly track and give him attention from other circles.

Back
Top Bottom