What Would Moz's Albums Be Like If He'd Won His Court Case?

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
I find myself wondering about this a lot lately. Even in 2009, the specter of the trial seems to weigh heavy on his psyche: bailiffs with bad breath, etc. I thought we might escape the album without a mention of QC's; but they raise their ugly head in "Sorry Doesn't Help;" Like a QC with fake humility.

Certainly this album offers fewer mentions than its predecessors but what do you think? If Morrissey had won his court case, just imagine how differently so many songs would have sounded. In fact, it's very likely some wouldn't have existed at all, i.e. "Sorrow Will Come in the End."

Is it a good thing or bad thing he lost the case? It certainly provided a wealth of lyrical fodder for Morrissey, but I for one feel he's over reached and the point has been made time and time again.

Last edited:
They might be less frustrated sounding if he didn't have to deal with the court stuff.

I think Morrissey would still be writing angry songs about Joyce even if he'd won the court case. Maybe not about "QC's with fake humility" but I think he'd still be bitter that Joyce had the gall to sue him in the first place, and he'd write angry songs about Joyce himself. I just wish the court case had never existed at all. I wish that Morrissey & Marr had been honest and forthright with their bandmates from the beginning and that they were all still on good terms. I'd like to think if that were the case, Morrissey would be writing more songs like "Break Up The Family" where he looked back fondly on the past, instead of being so bitter and angry about it. I prefer my Morrissey wistful and nostalgic, not vengeful. But alas... here we are.

I think Morrissey would still be writing angry songs about Joyce even if he'd won the court case. Maybe not about "QC's with fake humility" but I think he'd still be bitter that Joyce had the gall to sue him in the first place, and he'd write angry songs about Joyce himself. I just wish the court case had never existed at all. I wish that Morrissey & Marr had been honest and forthright with their bandmates from the beginning and that they were all still on good terms. I'd like to think if that were the case, Morrissey would be writing more songs like "Break Up The Family" where he looked back fondly on the past, instead of being so bitter and angry about it. I prefer my Morrissey wistful and nostalgic, not vengeful. But alas... here we are.

Completely agree. Instead of having a lonely old man singing songs, we have a bitter and lonely old man.

Back
Top Bottom