What will happen if The Smiths reunite?

I'd demand to know what they'd done with the real Morrissey.

In all/some seriousness, I'd probably go through the following phases in the space of two hours: sceptical, excited; baffled; gripped by disbelief; sceptical again; anxious; nervous; and, finally, resigned to the money-fuelled circumstance.

Then I'd watch the reunion on YouTube and quietly read all the comments, my fragile mental state switching constantly between disappointed and overjoyed, before watching Pulp's reunion and contrasting/comparing the two. I'd end the day by reading the furious flood of opinions here on Morrissey-Solo.

I'd be very vbummed.

The Smiths died and left a perfect, beautiful corpse for me to weep over... don't want them to spoile that.

What will happen if The Smiths reunite. What will be your reaction.

It is, literally, a pointless question.
What isn't so pointless, however, is the reaction to Marr and Morrissey getting back together which probably will happen especially if, over the next 12 months, Morrissey fails to secure a record deal and Marr puts out an album of critically-panned and commercially-ignored songs.
If Marr and Moz do reform, I'd be intrigued by the amount of commercial interest in them. I'd say it would be a little (but not much) greater than Morrissey around YRTQ so perhaps a double platinum album and a small arena tour that actually sells out.
I'd also be interested to hear how many genuinely great songs Marr could put together for a new album, and whether Morrissey could substitute some of the clumsiness, humourlessness and bitterness of his recent lyrics for the poetry, wit and subtlety of yore.
Any ensuing album would surely/inevitably be better than any of Morrissey's post Vauxhall albums but I don't expect it would come anywhere close to the genius of the Smiths.

It is, literally, a pointless question.
What isn't so pointless, however, is the reaction to Marr and Morrissey getting back together which probably will happen especially if, over the next 12 months, Morrissey fails to secure a record deal and Marr puts out an album of critically-panned and commercially-ignored songs.
If Marr and Moz do reform, I'd be intrigued by the amount of commercial interest in them. I'd say it would be a little (but not much) greater than Morrissey around YRTQ so perhaps a double platinum album and a small arena tour that actually sells out.
I'd also be interested to hear how many genuinely great songs Marr could put together for a new album, and whether Morrissey could substitute some of the clumsiness, humourlessness and bitterness of his recent lyrics for the poetry, wit and subtlety of yore.
Any ensuing album would surely/inevitably be better than any of Morrissey's post Vauxhall albums but I don't expect it would come anywhere close to the genius of the Smiths.

Call me a cynic but unless he goes down the 'DIY' route and self-releases, I don't think Marr's new Healers album will see the light of day. The material is a hell of a lot better than the stuff on Boomslang, but realistically he has a tiny "solo" audience and the first album was too much of a disaster for most labels to take a chance on him again. I'm convinced that's why the second album he wrote in 2004 was never released - and I'm not sure how successful his flirtations with Ray-Ban & so on are in drumming up publicity to secure a deal. I wouldn't say a new Moz/Marr collaboration would be "inevitably" better than anything post-Vauxhall, either. I'd put money on Marr "joining" yet another new, young "indie" band by the end of the year :rolleyes:. It's sad that such a phenomenal talent has reduced himself to riding on the tails of singers and musicians who couldn't lace his shoes even in the mid-90s.

Last edited:
If The Smiths reformed with Joyce in tow I'd seriously question Morrissey's mental state. Not because the ugliness between the two, but because of Joyce's people harassing Moz' mum. We all know how close Morrissey is with his "ma". If someone had stressed out your mother to the point of you writing a song about her suiciding ("Mama...") would you ever work with that person again? Would that make his mother happy?

That's why it will never, ever, EVER happen with Joyce. Rourke, perhaps. They could get another talented drummer from the Manchester scene, past or present.

If The Smiths reformed with Joyce in tow I'd seriously question Morrissey's mental state. Not because the ugliness between the two, but because of Joyce's people harassing Moz' mum. We all know how close Morrissey is with his "ma". If someone had stressed out your mother to the point of you writing a song about her suiciding ("Mama...") would you ever work with that person again? Would that make his mother happy?

That's why it will never, ever, EVER happen with Joyce. Rourke, perhaps. They could get another talented drummer from the Manchester scene, past or present.

You don't have to exaggerate stuff you read.

It's simply sad that the law suit left unimaginable mental damages to the people who have nothing to do with it.

I think "unimaginable mental damage" is on par with what I wrote.

I was being emphatic because a lot of fans seem to think it can be something that's "worked out" between M & Joyce for the sake a reunion.

Morrissey & Marr? Bring it!

You don't have to exaggerate stuff you read.

It's simply sad that the law suit left unimaginable mental damages to the people who have nothing to do with it.

"I'd rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths"

(Morrissey, Uncut May 2006 pg 66)

Call me a cynic but unless he goes down the 'DIY' route and self-releases, I don't think Marr's new Healers album will see the light of day. The material is a hell of a lot better than the stuff on Boomslang, but realistically he has a tiny "solo" audience and the first album was too much of a disaster for most labels to take a chance on him again. I'm convinced that's why the second album he wrote in 2004 was never released - and I'm not sure how successful his flirtations with Ray-Ban & so on are in drumming up publicity to secure a deal. I wouldn't say a new Moz/Marr collaboration would be "inevitably" better than anything post-Vauxhall, either. I'd put money on Marr "joining" yet another new, young "indie" band by the end of the year :rolleyes:. It's sad that such a phenomenal talent has reduced himself to riding on the tails of singers and musicians who couldn't lace his shoes even in the mid-90s.

Yes, Marr may well have to go down the DIY route but, unlike Morrissey, he is a realist and a pragmatist, so that won't be much of a problem. There are tons of other 'indie' acts from the 80s with a similar or smaller profile to Marr who continue to record and release albums (Wedding Present and Paul Heaton are two which spring to mind).
As someone who's both a huge Marr fan and super-critical of recent Morrissey stuff, I'm surprised you don't think a new Moz/Marr album would inevitably be better than the post-Vauxhall albums. To be honest, saying that it would is hardly a huge compliment!
I've not followed Marr's recent (past 10 years) output at all closely but the couple of Cribs singles he co-wrote that I heard seemed like pretty punchy, melodic pieces of music in a different musical league to vast chunks of the recent Moz back catalogue.

I'd be ecstatic for a Morrissey/Marr reunion! I'd imagine it would only happen under the "Morrissey" name, not "The Smiths". I think Morrissey still writes amazing lyrics and his voice is still strong. Couple that with Marr's finesse on guitar, and it'd be the best Morrissey album since Vauxhall & I.

As for the rest of The Smiths coming along, I just don't see it happening.

....and then probably cancel the gigs at the last feckin' second anyway, due to a fingernail disaster or somesuch shenanigans...call me a cynical old tart, but I just cannot get worked up at the thought of this ever happening..Mozzer has cancelled TOO many gigs at short notice for me to give any kind of feck whatsoever....as a T-shirt somewhere once said, Smiths are dead.....

....and then probably cancel the gigs at the last feckin' second anyway, due to a fingernail disaster or somesuch shenanigans...call me a cynical old tart, but I just cannot get worked up at the thought of this ever happening..Mozzer has cancelled TOO many gigs at short notice for me to give any kind of feck whatsoever....as a T-shirt somewhere once said, Smiths are dead.....

You'd be there.

Back
Top Bottom