What/who is a goth group?

The Seeker of Good Songs

We've all seen reviews claiming certain groups to be got, and even the "god-fathers of goth", like The Cure, Depeche Mode, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus. I don't think any of those groups are goth.

Who is goth and why are they so?

Well, I kind of grew up in that scene, and it meant different things to different people. I started out with The Sisters and The Mission, All About Eve, The Damned. That is what I would call 'traditional'. Then there were bands like London After Midnight and Nekromantik (no idea if that's how you spell it sorry) who were more...kind of heavier...rockier. Then it got dancy (EBM that was called) bands like VNV Nation. I would upload it but I have no idea how!
Ps: Sorry Robby, now I left the scene I have no problem telling the world how it works (well, how it worked for me!)

Well, I kind of grew up in that scene, and it meant different things to different people. I started out with The Sisters and The Mission, All About Eve, The Damned. That is what I would call 'traditional'. Then there were bands like London After Midnight and Nekromantik (no idea if that's how you spell it sorry) who were more...kind of heavier...rockier. Then it got dancy (EBM that was called) bands like VNV Nation. I would upload it but I have no idea how!
Ps: Sorry Robby, now I left the scene I have no problem telling the world how it works (well, how it worked for me!)

the 1st rule of goth club
no
that aint right
hmmm...

Robby's been everything and done everything, he's the biggest liar on here.

hey tony2/kickie
you stupid f*ckin moron
i go
dsf.jpg

here almost every week

i could be found @
flyer-01.jpg

every week for over a decade

i use to work for
lgCleo.jpg

and have seen
bauhaus.jpg

5 times and was married the after the third reunion show
etc etc...

but please
never stop calling your betters liars
it only makes you look ever more like the d*ck you are!

build a bonfire build a bonfire, put Robby on the top, put the Goths in the middle n we'll burn the f***ing lot.

a word of warning to tony2/kickie:

this being as dislikable as you are on here
it will bleed over into others parts of life
and you are still young
some on here even think it would be a shame for turn into such a piece of scum you are working so hard to become
i, myself could care less
but others are nicer(and prettier too)
they actually feel really sad for you

however, i think
you should go on being you
and keep on proving me right
its kind of awesome
:D

Pete
I think that The Seeker was looking to start a discussion on this topic (based on some of his/her previous postings), not simply be signposted to a description/definition. I.e. i think it was your own view that was requested - is that right, Seeker?

You know I'm not knocking you - we appreciate all the info you provide, but I s'pose you can say that you've done that by providing supportive info to the debate. Sorry - I'll STFU!

We've all seen reviews claiming certain groups to be got, and even the "god-fathers of goth", like The Cure, Depeche Mode, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus. I don't think any of those groups are goth.

Who is goth and why are they so?

Hatfull is right, of course to say that it's different things to different people, but it can perhaps be (unfairly, to some) summed up as having that 'dark' sound and outlook that Wikipedia cited in U/Skinny's link (see Pete - i do appreciate you!).

It's an over-simplified description, of course - too amorphous and meaning-less, but, due to the reason below, I've never really explored how 'they' see themselves, which would be interesting. Robbie's the 1 to answer that isn't he?

My 1st memories were in the late 70s/early 80s in Leeds, Yorkshire - The Sisters of Mercy/The Mission + Bauhaus, as you say, were most dominant. Would the Cramps fit into that mould too?

With the exception of Bauhaus, whom I saw a few times, i always held that genre at arms-length - mainly due to the appearance, I'm sorry to say.

I've just recently (6 months) found myself getting into Evanescence, who I understand are sometimes described as goth - I was a bit horrified/embarrassed when i was told. Maybe I should start a thread in 'other music' on them (but have been too embarrassed so far to do so), but would be interested to know what Moz fans think about this band.

Pete
I think that The Seeker was looking to start a discussion on this topic (based on some of his/her previous postings), not simply be signposted to a description/definition. I.e. i think it was your own view that was requested - is that right, Seeker?

You know I'm not knocking you - we appreciate all the info you provide, but I s'pose you can say that you've done that by providing supportive info to the debate. Sorry - I'll STFU!

Ah sorry, must have got the wrong end of the stick. To add to this, I remember the buzz about town when the Southern Death Cult started getting famous. No-one called them Goth then, so looking back, it's just a term to apply to various bands of a time and style. My brother used to buy Zig Zag magazine, and that always had what you might now call a "Goth" stance - bands like The Specimen, Alien Sex Fiend, The Cramps, Lords Of The New Church, Bauhaus....it was all going on around the 1982/83 time. I did have friends who wasted fortunes on hairspray to get that "dragged through the hedge" look. To me, that whole era was classic Goth, and now - well, I don't know any more, but I have a couple of friends who put on Goth nights and they like to play Nick Cave, Rammstein, Fields Of The Nephilim, Sisters Of Mercy. Does true Goth exist anymore?

Peter

Pete

Yes. All of the groups mentioned in Wiki seem to have a "look" but their sound isn't the same. I mean Bauhaus and Siouxie? I've always considered Goth to be more of an image than a real sound. But it is hard to categorize certain groups...we all know that just from being Moz fans "oh, Morrissey, what kind of music do they play?" Maybe there ia a "true" goth movement and also a commercialezed one.
I just always thought it odd when groups like the Cure and Siouxie, Bauhaus, are labled that. I think it is the makeup and vampire look, not the sound. Has anyone seen the way Robert Smith looked back in the begining...not "goth" at all.

And there appears to be a new pozer goth movement. teenage girls buying stockings and such with skulls on them from the Hot Topic shop in the mall, and wearing Jack Skellington hoodies...ooooo scary.

I'll STFU!
what's this mean? F me? :(

A lot of you have no idea what you are talking about.

Well, put us right then!!

A question was asked, I + others offered contributions.

I never claimed to be all-knowing, all-seeing...did I?

Put up or STFU!

what's this mean? ("STFU") F me? :(

No, seeker, no offence to you, deff not.

Hope you've got it from my last post (^^) above now.

It's 'Shut The **** Up'. So, I meant to say that I should STFU now.

As I'd like little sniper above to do.

Sorry, Mods, for being offensive, but such postings as Viktor above are a bit pointless, aren't they?

The Mission are doing another tour - which is odd as I went to their farewell tour last year.

Yes. All of the groups mentioned in Wiki seem to have a "look" but their sound isn't the same. I mean Bauhaus and Siouxie? I've always considered Goth to be more of an image than a real sound. But it is hard to categorize certain groups...we all know that just from being Moz fans "oh, Morrissey, what kind of music do they play?" Maybe there ia a "true" goth movement and also a commercialezed one.
I just always thought it odd when groups like the Cure and Siouxie, Bauhaus, are labled that. I think it is the makeup and vampire look, not the sound. Has anyone seen the way Robert Smith looked back in the begining...not "goth" at all.

And there appears to be a new pozer goth movement. teenage girls buying stockings and such with skulls on them from the Hot Topic shop in the mall, and wearing Jack Skellington hoodies...ooooo scary.

what's this mean? F me? :(

without hot topic where else would hot LAZY goth girls work
while looking for a man they meet @ a club to sponge off of?

ps: & no, i aint talkin about my exWife
she worked @
forever_21_052603.jpg

Back
Top Bottom