What was your reaction when The Smiths broke up?

I remember thinking, "Well, I guess Johnny Marr felt a burning desire to leave and go record a dozen 'Queen Is Dead'-level masterpieces under his own name and in collaboration with others, and Morrissey will go on being Morrissey, so it'll be like The Smiths divided in two to conquer the world!"

As of about, oh, 1991 I figured I wasn't totally mistaken... :)

I remember thinking, "Well, I guess Johnny Marr felt a burning desire to leave and go record a dozen 'Queen Is Dead'-level masterpieces under his own name and in collaboration with others, and Morrissey will go on being Morrissey, so it'll be like The Smiths divided in two to conquer the world!"

As of about, oh, 1991 I figured I wasn't totally mistaken... :)

Well, you were half-right...

Morrissey had just released Kill Uncle when I was born :straightface:.

tumblr_lp61mqbwNP1qc14q0.gif

I didn't know, I was 11. I wouldn't find out about them until 1991. Even by then, only 4 years later, (and believe me I dove headfirst into the back-catalog as soon as I found Morrissey) The Smiths seemed like an untouchable eons-gone-away legend...even then.

Reading Sing Your Life, The Morri'zine...they were spoken of in these apocryphal, King Arthur-type tones. It didn't bother me too much, though, because it wasn't like Morrissey was dead...he was making such great solo albums I didn't mind that I had missed The Smiths. Their stuff was easily buyable at the local record store (where I soon got a job) and Morrissey was alive and kicking on his own.

Life was good...in a musical sense, anyway.

I pissed in my plimsolls.

I literally shat myself.

Because I was a few months old at the time.

...I just went "Ho-Hum"...As a reviewer at the time said, "strangeways" was the sound of a Band falling apart...just my opinion, but That was a terrible album....it had a few good songs, but a lot of it was just "Will this do for now" bog-standard Smiths by numbers... I sold it to a second -hand record shop a few days after getting it, and don't regret it......

holy shit

look at the post above mine

look at it

holy shit

...I just went "Ho-Hum"...As a reviewer at the time said, "strangeways" was the sound of a Band falling apart...just my opinion, but That was a terrible album....it had a few good songs, but a lot of it was just "Will this do for now" bog-standard Smiths by numbers... I sold it to a second -hand record shop a few days after getting it, and don't regret it......

Very Best of Morrissey -£2.99 at PDSA charity shop,Leeds,t'other day.

I was absolutely devastated! I was a teenager at the time and no other new music in that era ever matched them. I bore such a grudge that I refused to buy Viva Hate when it came out! Happily I moved on.

Yeah! None of my friends at the time liked them and really didn't understand why I was so distraught. But i was well into live music and couldn't accept that I was never to see them live again.

I found out at school by a glad rocker type....

Left after that lesson to go home and listened to the albums for the rest of the day

Back
Top Bottom