What was the first record you ever bought?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3879
  • Start date
The band on the vid is my father's favourite, Omega. They're all grandpas now...

You know Bikini? :eek: Oh my god, that is AWESOME!!!!!!! :D:guitar: They were sooooooooooo big!:D

I was so impressed by the crowd's reaction that I bought all the records (3) I could find in a shop in Budapest.
I just checked and the price is still on them: 110 Forint.
I don't know how much that is nowadays, but back then it was about
1,50 euro or something.

I was so impressed by the crowd's reaction that I bought all the records (3) I could find in a shop in Budapest.
I just checked and the price is still on them: 110 Forint.
I don't know how much that is nowadays, but back then it was about
1,50 euro or something.

It's about 50 cents now. :)

Give_'Em_Enough_Rope.jpeg

And its still a fav almost 30 years on.

^ excellent :cool:

Besides the Monkees, I bought the original 1978 Grease soundtrack. Still have both records.

I was obsessed w/Grease, saw the flick 15 times in the theater :)

It's rather mean (not to the NKOTB but to some poor girl who worshipped them). You sure you want to hear it? You may never think of me the same way again!

Yes I wanna hear it!!! I don't care, I did go see them 2x in concert and had all their albums, but I refused to buy all that awful gear like hats, beach towels, etc they sold. It's embarrassing now, but hell, I was like 12-13 yrs old and I thought they were hot. :D

bump! Where is NRitH? I'm still waiting for the NKOTB horror story! :D

Aw, f***, I hoped that you'd forgotten. I wish I could. OK, here goes.

Freshman year of college (1990), I worked at a drugstore. One of my coworkers, whom I'll call Rita (for "irritating"), was a senior in high school and had a disturbingly public crush on me--she bragged about it to our coworkers and her friends, and even paraded her family through the store to meet me. She was the WORLD'S BIGGEST NKOTB FAN, bar none--it's all she listened to or talked about. She was more of an annoyance than anything else, so I just shrugged her off most of the time. One night, though, she invited me to hang out with her at her high school's football game. I'd already rebuffed about a dozen of similar requests, so I figured that just one couldn't hurt, right? Wrong. Fast forward to the end of the football game. It just so happened that the rest of her family was out of town that night, so she invited me to spend the night at her place. So far, so bad. But nothing could have prepared me for the shock of seeing her bedroom--literally every square inch of walls, ceilings, floor, and furniture was covered with pics of the New Kids on the Block--thousands of photos. Let's fast forward some more, shall we? There is NOTHING more horrifying than waking up and being surrounded by thousands of NKOTB photos in a confined space. I got out of there as soon as I could, and pretty much had nothing to do with her after that.

And that's the story. There's an epilogue, but I'll save for another time.

Freshman year of college (1990), I worked at a drugstore. One of my coworkers, whom I'll call Rita (for "irritating"), was a senior in high school and had a disturbingly public crush on me--she bragged about it to our coworkers and her friends, and even paraded her family through the store to meet me. She was the WORLD'S BIGGEST NKOTB FAN, bar none--it's all she listened to or talked about. She was more of an annoyance than anything else, so I just shrugged her off most of the time. One night, though, she invited me to hang out with her at her high school's football game. I'd already rebuffed about a dozen of similar requests, so I figured that just one couldn't hurt, right? Wrong. Fast forward to the end of the football game. It just so happened that the rest of her family was out of town that night, so she invited me to spend the night at her place. So far, so bad. But nothing could have prepared me for the shock of seeing her bedroom--literally every square inch of walls, ceilings, floor, and furniture was covered with pics of the New Kids on the Block--thousands of photos. Let's fast forward some more, shall we? There is NOTHING more horrifying than waking up and being surrounded by thousands of NKOTB photos in a confined space. I got out of there as soon as I could, and pretty much had nothing to do with her after that.

As fast as you could? :rolleyes:

HAHAAAAA Thanks, that just gave me the biggest laugh :D
Don't worry, I am not offended, I think I had one poster in my room and that's about it. I do like how you still "slept over" even though you were horrified ;) Did you do the nasty on a NKOTB comforter too? :eek:

Did Rita get shipped off to the nunnery after this? Or did she become an Irregular Regular and follow the NKOTB around the country?

Well, that's kinda the epilogue. I quit the drugstore job soon afterwards and didn't hear from her for about 5 months. She sent me a very long letter that pleaded with me to explain what went wrong. She said that she'd totally thrown out all of her NKOTB (and Vanilla Ice!) stuff and had started listening to the bands that I liked at the time (guess which ones), had replaced her 80s hairspray 'do with something more "alternative", and pretty much tried to be like me (or someone that I'd like). It was so sad. Sadder than if she'd just stayed true to herself, as horrifying as that self was to me. :o

Last edited:
The problem is that I didn't really buy records, because in the Eastern block it wasn't very easy to buy Western music. So we copied each other's records on tapes. But I was a Duran Duran fan myself. I was in love with John Taylor. :o I saw their new vid, and he still looks hot. :guitar:

My first album was Paralel Lines by Blonide.... Am I showing my age!?? ;)

Still an all time fave album though. I'm guessing that was about 1979, not too sure.

Back
Top Bottom