What was the first band you saw live?

nsync.jpg

:cool:

Funny you mention PG & SV: between Tina and the Bunnymen there was another concert I attended: Sting. (Actually I just looked it up-- it's been almost 21 years to the day!) By way of explanation do I need to mention that parental units were responsible for dragging me to both Tina and Sting?

Sting wasn't so bad, actually.

Are you equating Sting with Peter Gabriel? Peter Gabriel is much cooler than Sting. And your parents dragged you? My dad kept trying to get me to go see Chris DeBurgh with him. He somehow got into CDB and saw a few shows around that time. Now he just tries to get me to go see Peter Paul & Mary with him. :rolleyes: My sister fell for it.

That's not that bad. FYC weren't awful. I had one of their CDs. Of course, I also had a Mellencamp CD. I told you, they issue you at least one when you cross the state line into Indiana.

What? Is that really a state reg?

That does it. If I ever visit I'm bringing a cyanide capsule to bite down on! ;)

Are you equating Sting with Peter Gabriel? Peter Gabriel is much cooler than Sting. And your parents dragged you? My dad kept trying to get me to go see Chris DeBurgh with him. He somehow got into CDB and saw a few shows around that time. Now he just tries to get me to go see Peter Paul & Mary with him. :rolleyes: My sister fell for it.

I am equating Sting and Peter Gabriel, yes-- equating them as two people I would prefer not to listen to unless my life depended on it, and even then my captors would need to further coerce me by threatening kittens with steak knives and having a finger poised above the detonator button of a nuclear device. In that sense they are alike. :cool:

Your sister has recovered, I hope!

Actually my Dad took me to Sting but I don't blame him. It wasn't such a bad thing to do. As I recall it might've been because he had free tickets from a friend or something. When he found out I liked bombastic Irish protest songs, he tried to introduce me to The Kinks. In retrospect, that's pretty f***ing cool.

What? Is that really a state reg?

That does it. If I ever visit I'm bringing a cyanide capsule to bite down on! ;)

You'd think so. Trubs, how many do you have? Of course, you're from there, so maybe you don't have to comply.

I don't own the CD anymore. But Indiana was pretty awful. The only concert I saw while living there was INXS. It was in support of whatever album came after Kick. NOBODY cool played in Indy. I was floored when Morrissey played there in 2007, in a location that was extremely meaningful to me. He finally showed up, 17 years late.

You'd think so. Trubs, how many do you have? Of course, you're from there, so maybe you don't have to comply.

I don't own the CD anymore. But Indiana was pretty awful. The only concert I saw while living there was INXS. It was in support of whatever album came after Kick. NOBODY cool played in Indy. I was floored when Morrissey played there in 2007, in a location that was extremely meaningful to me. He finally showed up, 17 years late.

My buddy from Indiana likes some Mellencamp, I think. Not sure. He's more of a Dylan man.

Was the INXS concert good? They're a former favorite of mine. Many, many years since I liked them, though I play a tune now and again. "Don't Change" is superb.

As for the M gig: right place, wrong time. I'm thinking there's got to be a Morrissey song in there somewhere, or perhaps I'm just thinking of about 37 different shit c/w songs.

I am equating Sting and Peter Gabriel, yes-- equating them as two people I would prefer not to listen to unless my life depended on it, and even then my captors would need to further coerce me by threatening kittens with steak knives and having a finger poised above the detonator button of a nuclear device. In that sense they are alike. :cool:

I see you feel very strongly about that. :D

When he found out I liked bombastic Irish protest songs, he tried to introduce me to The Kinks. In retrospect, that's pretty f***ing cool.

My dad is an old-school Kinks fan. Sadly, he dropped out before Village Green Preservation Society. :rolleyes:

Was the INXS concert good? They're a former favorite of mine. Many, many years since I liked them, though I play a tune now and again. "Don't Change" is superb.

As for the M gig: right place, wrong time. I'm thinking there's got to be a Morrissey song in there somewhere, or perhaps I'm just thinking of about 37 different shit c/w songs.

INXS was fun. I think. It wasn't very memorable. :(

The Murat M show was really strange. There's a whole long story about a lost seeking friend, and a desolate neighborhood with a certain bar catering to people of a certain persuasion, and the music we listened to on those desperate nights... I won't bore you with it. :(

I see you feel very strongly about that. :D

Well, I'll admit that I do like me some Peter Gabriel under the right circumstances. When there's a woman who needs wooing, and she's got a second- or third-floor window? Yeah. See, I had this great idea: get one of those rad 80s boomboxes and blast "In Your Eyes" up at her. Her heart'll turn to butter. Melted butter. :love:

For best results, wear a trenchcoat and Nike trainers, preferably in the pouring rain.

My dad is an old-school Kinks fan. Sadly, he dropped out before Village Green Preservation Society. :rolleyes:

Tasty fellow! Dads are a distant second to older brothers as far as mentors go, but they have their uses. Glorious is the day when a young teenage boy opens a mysterious box in the garage and finds-- well, okay, that, but also hundreds of vinyl treasures waiting to be dusted off and played! :guitar:

you really don't like
peter-gabriel_l.jpg

this album? :o
that's weird to me :crazy:

Well, I'll admit that I do like me some Peter Gabriel under the right circumstances. When there's a woman who needs wooing, and she's got a second- or third-floor window? Yeah. See, I had this great idea: get one of those rad 80s boomboxes and blast "In Your Eyes" up at her. Her heart'll turn to butter. Melted butter. :love:

For best results, wear a trenchcoat and Nike trainers, preferably in the pouring rain.

ahh, i didnt see that, sorry, i am multi-tasking :straightface:

I only had his first album. I'm not a fan, though I did attend Farm Aid once.
Try listening to THAT for 12 hours, or however long it lasted.

My Assistant Bookkeeper met John Mellencamp last week at a Wrestling or Boxing Match in Indy. :rolleyes:

Does that actually work? I don't think I'd fall for that.

It does, but not how you'd think. They call the cops and have you thrown in jail. Eventually they feel guilty and come to see you. With trembling lower lip and puppy-dog eyes, and tender claims of "misunderstanding" and "over-zealous devotion", you play up the yearning-but-shy angle and then she falls for it.

Johnny Clegg and Savuka. Wasn't something I picked..went with friends.
Otherwise it was The Cure.

Tags
thompson twins
Back
Top Bottom