What the h... is wrong with music today?

Case in point: The xx's listed influences on their Myspace page:

"Aaliyah to CocoRosie, Rihanna to The Cure, Missy Elliott to Chromatics, The Kills to Ginuwine, Pixies to Mariah Carey and Justin Timberlake to Tracy + the plastics " :)

cheers

16-year old Steven P. Morrissey's letter to the NME, February 2010:

Today I bought the album of the year. I feel I can say this without several emails saying I'm talking rubbish. The album is Of The Colour Of The Blue Sky by OK Go. The best tracks are "All Is Not Lost", "Last Leaf", "This Too Shall Pass", and "In The Glass", in that order.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I'm not saying OK Go is better than anyone else, or that my opinion is better than anyone else's. A fact is a fact. An opinion is an opinion. You can drive a double-decker bus between the difference. Also I am not closed-minded to Rhianna and Taylor Swift (props on the Grammy, girl). Who am I to say that just because I choose not to listen to something, it isn't good? Many people bought the Lady GaGa album, so it must have some positive qualities, song-wise. Taste is very subjective, and I don't expect everyone will agree with me, so don't hit me with the flames, guys. And though I mentioned only a few other singers, I also like music from Aaliyah to CocoRosie, Rihanna to The Cure, Missy Elliott to Chromatics, The Kills to Ginuwine, Pixies to Mariah Carey and Justin Timberlake to Tracy + the plastics. Let's all open up our minds and not be haters. I'm just saying, you could do a lot worse than downloading the new OK Go. Okay? Go. Steven Morrissey, Manchester.

"Aaliyah to CocoRosie, Rihanna to The Cure, Missy Elliott to Chromatics, The Kills to Ginuwine, Pixies to Mariah Carey and Justin Timberlake to Tracy + the plastics " :)

cheers

I don't think it's music that they're making. It's Play-Doh.

We need an apocalypse, I'm saying it again. Come, come, nuclear bomb. Hey... is that what he meant? I do believe it was.

I don't think it's music that they're making. It's Play-Doh.

We need an apocalypse, I'm saying it again. Come, come, nuclear bomb. Hey... is that what he meant? I do believe it was.

I agree. I don't think a nuclear bomb is as bad as some people might think it is. A nuke is the ultimate democratic device, if you think about it. In a nuclear blast suddenly everyone is made equal, and plus it proves that big changes are still possible in the world. Sure, there'd be certain nettlesome logistical challenges presented to the survivors, but all the old hierarchies would vanish and the crowd would once again rule. It's elitist to go on living in a non-nuclear environment with its ubiquitous inequalities, and nukes would solve that. We'd no longer have power concentrated in a few cities, but people everywhere, scattered across the land, would rule. Instead of a few population centers, we'd have a billion tiny villages of fully self-determined, egalitarian-minded, independent scavengers who follow nobody's orders but their own. Who wouldn't want that?

Last edited:
I agree. I don't think a nuclear bomb is as bad as some people might think it is. A nuke is the ultimate democratic device, if you think about it. In a nuclear blast suddenly everyone is made equal, and plus it proves that big changes are still possible in the world. Sure, there'd be certain nettlesome logistical challenges presented to the survivors, but all the old hierarchies would vanish and the crowd would once again rule. It's elitist to go on living in a non-nuclear environment with its ubiquitous inequalities, and nukes would solve that. We'd no longer have power concentrated in a few cities, but people everywhere, scattered across the land, would rule. Instead of a few population centers, we'd have a billion tiny villages of fully self-determined, egalitarian-minded, independent scavengers who follow nobody's orders but their own. Who wouldn't want that?

How about a metaphorical apocalypse? A cultural one? The only problem with that is that they're all spelled G-O-D and accepting a totalitarian religion does more to hinder creativity than to restore it. At least in the short term

What do you propose? Banning the internet? How could we possibly shake things up in a way that restores people's ability to think independently and diminishes the hold unbridled capitalism has on us?

Sigh. If it's falling, why I gotta clean up?

Ours is. The species goes on. We have a moral obligation not to ruin the f***ing planet so that one day, in a beautiful university in Buenos Aires or Bombay or Burroughs (the biggest city on Mars), they can study Late Twentieth Century Western Pop Culture with excited curiosity rather than feelings of intense bitterness.

Ours is. The species goes on. We have a moral obligation not to ruin the f***ing planet so that one day, in a beautiful university in Buenos Aires or Bombay or Burroughs (the biggest city on Mars), they can study Late Twentieth Century Western Pop Culture with excited curiosity rather than feelings of intense bitterness.

Oh, I can handle the not polluting thing. I just don't feel like washing this brownie pan right now.

cheers

kind of a terrible example since The xx don't sound like any of those. maybe a little 17 Seconds-era Cure in the sparseness of the compositions. oh, and the kid uses an MPC which i would imagine most of the 90's R&B acts would have as well...

are you saying that bands shouldn't wear their influences on their sleeves? i can think of someone who does the same. does quite a few covers as well.

Two passages from Patti Smith's wonderful new memoir Just Kids which reflect two different aspects of the present discussion.

23rd Street, New York City, early Seventies:

A few evenings later, Matthew [Reich] appeared out of nowhere with a boxful of 45s. He was obsessed with Phil Spector; it seemed like every single Phil had produced was in it. His eyes darted nervously across the room. "Do you have any singles?" he asked anxiously.

I got up and rummaged through the laundry and found my singles box, which was cream-colored and covered with musical notes. He immediately counted our combined collection. "I was right", he said. "We have just the right number".

"The right number for what?"

"For a night of one hundred records".

It made sense to me. We played them, one after another, starting with "I Sold My Heart To The Junkman". Each song was better than the next. I leapt up and started dancing. Matthew kept changing the sides like some deranged disc jockey. In the middle of it all, Robert came in. He looked at Matthew. He looked at me. He looked at the record player.

The Marvelettes were on. I said, "What are you waiting for?"

His coat dropped to the floor. There were thirty-three more to go.​

Here's Patti talking about the formation of her band shortly before "Horses" was recorded:

We imagined ourselves as the Sons of Liberty with a mission to preserve, protect, and project the revolutionary spirit of rock and roll. We feared that the music which had given us sustenance was in danger of spiritual starvation. We feared it losing its sense of purpose, we feared it falling into fattened hands, we feared it floundering in a mire of spectacle, finance, and vapid technical complexity. We could call forth in our minds the image of Paul Revere, riding through the American night, petitioning the people to wake up, to take up arms. We too would take up arms, the arms of our generation, the electric guitar and the microphone.​

Jaron Lanier, one of the founders of virtual reality (he coined the term) and a fairly influential voice out in Silicon Valley, recently published "You Are Not A Gadget: A Manifesto". The book is primarily about his concerns over the direction in which the web and digital culture in general are headed. There's an interesting section about music informed by both his technical knowledge and his insights as a musician.

Lanier starts with a question that vexes, us, too. "How can you know what is lame and derivative in someone else's experience? How can you know if you get it? Maybe there's something amazing happening and you just don't know how to perceive it". He doesn't like music criticism, he goes on, but he wants to try and think objectively and analyze the situation.

Twenty-five years ago, he was a true believer:

I entered the internet era with extremely high expectations. I eagerly anticipated a chance to experience shock and intensity and new sensations, to be thrust into lush aesthetic wildernesses, and to wake up every morning to a world that was richer in every detail because my mind had been energized by unforeseeable art.​

Lanier was excited because he understood the radical cultural changes that had come along in the last century, leading up to the digital revolution. He writes affectionately about Stravinsky's dissonance, jazz music, the Beatles, and the global transformation of sexual attitudes wrought by pop. In each case, he talks about how technology played a role in the new music. Stravinsky needed instruments that weren't in use a decade or two earlier. Rock and roll, "the electric blues", was "a successful experiment in seeing what a small number of musicians could do for a dance hall with the aid of amplification". The Beatles benefited from "multitrack recording, stereo mixes, synthesizers, and audio special effects such as compression and varying playback speed".

Capitalism helped, too. Artists formerly dependent on patrons or other groups suddenly became free agents, innovators. For example, Gershwin made money from sheet music, movies, and player piano rolls in addition to his conventional gigs. The combination of technology and the opportunities on the web made Lanier eagerly anticipate "super-Gershwins": "Even if it was not yet clear what business models would take hold, the outcome would surely be more flexible, more open, more hopeful than what had come before in the hobbled economy of physicality".

Lanier writes all this to establish his enthusiasm for technology and the Internet in particular. These are the reflections of a tech junky, a cutting-edge developer, and a musician who brought a strong love of the humanities to his work on computers. He had higher hopes than anyone, and more than that, he understood in detail how the new technology could help music flourish.

Such were his feelings in the early to mid-Eighties. Events disappointed him.

At the time that the web was born, in the early 1990s, a popular trope was that a new generation of teenagers, reared in the conservative Reagan years, had turned out exceptionally bland. The members of "Generation X" were characterized as blank and inert. The anthropologist Steve Barnet compared them to pattern exhaustion, a phenomena in which a culture runs out of variations of traditional designs in their pottery and becomes less creative.

A common rationalization in the fledgling world of digital culture back then was that we were entering a transitional lull before a creative storm-- or were already in the eye of one. But the sad truth is that we were not passing through a momentary lull before the storm. We had instead entered a persistent somnolence, and I have come to believe that we will only escape it when we kill the hive.​

Lanier writes about many of the same observations I, Qvist, and others have already talked about here. He admits again and again that he may not hear what others are hearing. But ultimately, in his judgment, something's wrong. (Incidentally, Lanier's analysis would fit in perfectly with Joshua Clover's timeline.)

He transitions back into the primary study of the book, web 2.0. Thinking about his concern for pop music, he comes up with a hypothesis that links "the anomaly in popular music to the characteristics of flat information networks that suppress local contexts in favor of global ones". The hypothesis is in boldface type: "What makes something real is that it is impossible to represent it to completion". As when MIDI appeared, the web flattens out music and images such that everything passes through a baseline standard of representation. Lanier continues:

The hive ideology robs musicians and other creative people of the ability to influence the context within which their expressions are perceived, if they are to transition out of the old world of labels and music licensing.

When you come upon a video clip or picture or stretch of writing that has been made available in the web 2.0 manner, you almost never have access to the history or the locality in which it was perceived to have meaning by an anonymous person who left it there. A song might have been tender, or brave, or redemptive in context, but those qualities will usually be lost.

Numerical popularity doesn't correlate with intensity of connection in the cloud.

If a fuzzy crowd of anonymous people is making uninformed mashups with my recorded music, then when I present my music myself the context becomes one in which my presentation fits into a statistical distribution of other presentations. It is no longer an expression of my life. Under those circumstances, it is absurd to think that there is any connection between me and mashers, or those who perceive the mashups. Empathy--connection--is then replaced by hive statistics.​

"Statistical distribution of other presentations": see Amazon, iTunes, Google.

Lanier has lots of other great insights, even going into biology to show how evolution favors "hierarchical encapsulation" as opposed to cloud-like development. He savors the rich irony in the fact that Apple, for example, has been a leader in developing products that encourage the "cloud"/"hive" networks despite the fact that their production model is exactly the opposite: a relatively small group of inspired creators working in a closed environment. Like artists, in other words.

Last edited:
Patti Smith, again, talking about her writing and Robert Mapplethorpe's art objects:

By Robert's example, I understood what matters is the work: the string of words propelled by God becoming a poem, the weave of color and graphite scrawled upon the sheet that magnifies His motion. To achieve within the work a perfect balance of faith and execution. From this state of mind comes a light, life-charged.​

One of Mapplethorpe's objects she describes as "a relatively simple piece yet it seemed to have an innate power. There was no excess: it was a perfect object". And: "Robert infused objects, whether for art or life, with his creative impulse, his sacred sexual power...he loved his work and he loved his things".

Walter Benjamin (1936):

The greatly increased mass of participants has produced a change in the mode of participation.

Distraction and concentration form polar opposites which may be stated as follows: A man who concentrates before a work of art is absorbed by it. He enters into this work of art the way legend tells of the Chinese painter when he viewed his finished painting. In contrast, the distracted mass absorbs the work of art.

On the tactile side there is no counterpart to contemplation on the optical side. Tactile appropriation is accomplished not so much by attention as by habit. ... The tasks which face the human apparatus of perception at the turning points of history cannot be solved by optical means, that is, by contemplation, alone. They are mastered gradually by habit, under the guidance of tactile appropriation.

Reception in a state of distraction, which is increasing noticeably in all fields of art and is symptomatic of profound changes in apperception, finds in the film its true means of exercise. The film with its shock effect meets this mode of reception halfway. The film makes the cult value recede into the background not only by putting the public in the position of the critic, but also by the fact that at the movies this position requires no attention.

The public is an examiner, but an absent-minded one.​

When you come upon a video clip or picture or stretch of writing that has been made available in the web 2.0 manner, you almost never have access to the history or the locality in which it was perceived to have meaning by an anonymous person who left it there. A song might have been tender, or brave, or redemptive in context, but those qualities will usually be lost.

Numerical popularity doesn't correlate with intensity of connection in the cloud.

If a fuzzy crowd of anonymous people is making uninformed mashups with my recorded music, then when I present my music myself the context becomes one in which my presentation fits into a statistical distribution of other presentations. It is no longer an expression of my life. Under those circumstances, it is absurd to think that there is any connection between me and mashers, or those who perceive the mashups. Empathy--connection--is then replaced by hive statistics.

So, flavors of noise. And devoid of story and context, which inform human connection, this noise affects us in fewer ways. We are looking/listening "at" the media if it is presented in a vacuum. People are likely to seize at bits of lyrics that seem to remind them of their own lives, but only in that personal way: "what does this have to do with me?" I think the deeper emotional effects will be limited--all music would become as sappy thin pop.

Without the sleeve image and the image of Morrissey as a crusader for the emotional underdog, and without the expectation that there is more to the story than appears on the surface, we might seize on "I wear black on the inside because black is how I feel on the inside" and never delve deeper. Morrissey's music is particularly susceptible to shallow interpretation, as we've all noticed. He seems to be deliberately playing the extremes against each other. He would know that "I am human and I need to be loved" is so easily mocked because it's such a bare expression--yet he sings it with pure sincerity.

Anything much deeper than, "ooh baby" with a good beat that makes you want to dance (which effect creeps up from the feet and stops squarely in the pelvis) will not be heard, even when it exists. And it would rapidly cease to be created if the expectation that it should dies. This doesn't mean that things won't look clever--but I think we're complaining about a surplus of clever and a surfeit of truly smart.

So, flavors of noise. And devoid of story and context, which inform human connection, this noise affects us in fewer ways. We are looking/listening "at" the media if it is presented in a vacuum. People are likely to seize at bits of lyrics that seem to remind them of their own lives, but only in that personal way: "what does this have to do with me?" I think the deeper emotional effects will be limited--all music would become as sappy thin pop.

Yes.

Lanier's point had to do with distinguishing the real from unreal, a subject he had theorized extensively when he was working on the first virtual reality experiments. I think the subtle twist here is that the method of representation masks the unreality of the object. Everyone can answer to what's real and not real, if you force them to, but most of us fall into mental habits, created by the web, which encourage us to reduce meaningful aspects of life and art into readymade categories. Facebook was Lanier's example, and it fits, but he also gets into more technical territory like the ways MIDI transformed the creation of music. In a nutshell the web standardizes things that ought not be standardized and does so in a way that is not always apparent.

Without the sleeve image and the image of Morrissey as a crusader for the emotional underdog, and without the expectation that there is more to the story than appears on the surface, we might seize on "I wear black on the inside because black is how I feel on the inside" and never delve deeper. Morrissey's music is particularly susceptible to shallow interpretation, as we've all noticed. He seems to be deliberately playing the extremes against each other. He would know that "I am human and I need to be loved" is so easily mocked because it's such a bare expression--yet he sings it with pure sincerity.

Right, this was kind of the guiding light in Gavin Hopps' book. You can't listen to a few isolated aspects of Morrissey's music and hope to understand him completely.

Anything much deeper than, "ooh baby" with a good beat that makes you want to dance (which effect creeps up from the feet and stops squarely in the pelvis) will not be heard, even when it exists. And it would rapidly cease to be created if the expectation that it should dies. This doesn't mean that things won't look clever--but I think we're complaining about a surplus of clever and a surfeit of truly smart.

Sort of. It's not so much that the "ooh baby" music is dominating, because that's always been true. It's more that the "deeper" music, whatever that may be, is reduced to the same level of representation as the "shallower" music. Fungibility is a cornerstone of postmodernism. To my point about cinema, above, "Lawrence of Arabia" is melted down into the same material of which "He's Just Not That Into You" is made. You don't have to love "Lawrence of Arabia" to understand how that might be a problem.

In a nutshell the web standardizes things that ought not be standardized and does so in a way that is not always apparent.

From what I read of his argument, it's all about the death of context: the web either takes things out of context or creates a false context. Where, Why and When are largely irrelevant, but Who and How seem to be holding up pretty well.

A song cannot stand for anything but it's momentary self, and profundity requires that listeners be immersed in a coherent narrative. This is just as much a crisis of semiotics and deconstructionism/poststructuralism as anything else.

It's not so much that the "ooh baby" music is dominating, because that's always been true. It's more that the "deeper" music, whatever that may be, is reduced to the same level of representation as the "shallower" music.

Lest we forget the lessons of musical history: "She Loves You" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand" (two of the silliest of love songs) sparked a revolution in America that led to free love, the death of the work ethic, the trampling of traditional Christian virtues and a marxist/socialist takeover at the highest levels of government that is has yet to be corrected.

You can still hear this argument being made by geezers who were there, and who will never forget the moment when the Old Order crumbled for good.

We imagined ourselves as the Sons of Liberty with a mission to preserve, protect, and project the revolutionary spirit of rock and roll. We feared that the music which had given us sustenance was in danger of spiritual starvation. We feared it losing its sense of purpose, we feared it falling into fattened hands, we feared it floundering in a mire of spectacle, finance, and vapid technical complexity. We could call forth in our minds the image of Paul Revere, riding through the American night, petitioning the people to wake up, to take up arms. We too would take up arms, the arms of our generation, the electric guitar and the microphone.​

Sweet Jesus and the Jerks, that's beautiful. Blessed are the hopelessly romantic, naively idealistic and fabulously gifted, for they shall inherit the musical mojo.

Fungibility is a cornerstone of postmodernism.

Hence my point that Andy Warhol was not only the greatest prophet of his time, but the beginning of the end.

This is just as much a crisis of semiotics and deconstructionism/poststructuralism as anything else.

Certainly this is true, but the problem has a much more direct and immediate part to play in people's lives than those strands of criticism and theory have in the past.

You can still hear this argument being made by geezers who were there, and who will never forget the moment when the Old Order crumbled for good.

It's interesting to wonder if the geezers don't have a point. That said, the old order didn't crumble, exactly. It scattered, then reformed and retrenched itself. The vivid historical irony is that the first great leader of the 'new order' was the postmodern president par excellence: contentless actor Ronald Reagan.

Sweet Jesus and the Jerks, that's beautiful.

Isn't it though? I highly recommend the book. In light of your comments above I'd like to point out that one of the really striking things about the book is the way Smith herself bridged the eras of the Sixties (Beatles, Woodstock idealism, Motown, Joplin, Hendrix) and the punk/post-punk era of the mid to late Seventies. She's always been called one of the "godparents" of punk, which means, like Lou Reed, she sorta is and sorta isn't a punk. Her story further corrodes the notion (if it wasn't totally dissolved already) of punk's "year zero". Here was a teenager who grew up listening to the Beatles, who admired Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix, and was deeply affected by the major historical events of her time, such as RFK's assassination and the shootings at Kent State. She demonstrates how some elements of Sixties idealism were smuggled into the ethos of punk rock-- or, more aptly, post-punk. It's possible, therefore, to conclude that the Sixties did mark the beginning of the end of something, that what followed in the late 70s and early 80s was part of a continuity.

Last edited:
Certainly this is true, but the problem has a much more direct and immediate part to play in people's lives than those strands of criticism and theory have in the past.

At least we have a critical framework with which to analyze why Vampire Weekend's latest masterpiece is/isn't important.

It's interesting to wonder if the geezers don't have a point. That said, the old order didn't crumble, exactly. It scattered, then reformed and retrenched itself. The vivid historical irony is that the first great leader of the 'new order' was the postmodern president par excellence: contentless actor Ronald Reagan.

Yes, from our perspective the Old Order is alive and well and awaiting the Second Coming in the form of Sarah Palin, who will finally deliver us from evil.

However, from the geezers standpoint, we live in a fallen world.

Isn't it though? I highly recommend the book. In light of your comments above I'd like to point out that one of the really striking things about the book is the way Smith herself bridged the eras of the Sixties (Beatles, Woodstock idealism, Motown, Joplin, Hendrix) and the punk/post-punk era of the mid to late Seventies. She's always been called one of the "godparents" of punk, which means, like Lou Reed, she sorta is and sorta isn't a punk. Her story further corrodes the notion (if it wasn't totally dissolved already) of punk's "year zero". Here was a teenager who grew up listening to the Beatles, who admired Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix, and was deeply affected by the major historical events of her time, such as RFK's assassination and the shootings at Kent State. She demonstrates how some elements of Sixties idealism were smuggled into the ethos of punk rock-- or, more aptly, post-punk. It's possible, therefore, to conclude that the Sixties did mark the beginning of the end of something, that what followed in the late 70s and early 80s was part of a continuity.

Of course, punk/post punk was all about the Ecstatic Revolution (although it basically preached to the converted). The sixties did mark the high point of the ultimate musical revolution, which happened in the States, in the 20s, when Jazz changed (almost) everything (almost) everywhere.

The Beatles knew that when they were writing those silly love songs - THAT'S context.

Worm, Anaesthesine, pregnant for the last time:

Wonderful discussion, which unfortunately I've lacked the time to participate in.

Worm, I do believe you have hit on what is possibly the key concept for this whole thread: Context.

This:

From what I read of his argument, it's all about the death of context: the web either takes things out of context or creates a false context. Where, Why and When are largely irrelevant, but Who and How seem to be holding up pretty well.

A song cannot stand for anything but it's momentary self, and profundity requires that listeners be immersed in a coherent narrative. This is just as much a crisis of semiotics and deconstructionism/poststructuralism as anything else.

and this:

We imagined ourselves as the Sons of Liberty with a mission to preserve, protect, and project the revolutionary spirit of rock and roll. We feared that the music which had given us sustenance was in danger of spiritual starvation. We feared it losing its sense of purpose, we feared it falling into fattened hands, we feared it floundering in a mire of spectacle, finance, and vapid technical complexity. We could call forth in our minds the image of Paul Revere, riding through the American night, petitioning the people to wake up, to take up arms. We too would take up arms, the arms of our generation, the electric guitar and the microphone.

between them says....it all, or nearly so. The Patti Smith quote encapsulates the passion, ambition and awareness of significance that seems to constitute the most glaringly absent element of music today.

Context really is extraordinarily important even outside of the major significances, the big projects. It doesn't take more than finding out a band was an influence on something you love. Watch Control, and it adds a new dimension to listening to Joy Division, at least it did for me. My favorite context-dependent musical like has to be the Modern Lovers, whose significance depends not on the fact that they wrote assertive songs about being straight and nice and liking your parents, but on the fact that they did so in Hippie early 70s Boston and as a result got booed off the stage. Well, at least almost, reportedly Richman would under such circumstances go over to reciting the lyrics.

Anyway, that's exactly it. The context is gone, from the wild revolutionary ambition through the sense of tribal significance and defiant countercry to small things like the local record shop that in effect constituted your musicl universe. It's so obvious, I almost can't believe I wasn't able to figure it out on my own. And what's left? Just music really, with a bit of showmanship added here and there.

cheers

I've not had much time for anything as of late, let alone this thread, but I think what's most telling of Patti Smith's quote is that she also thought rock was dead. Someone should have told her she was living in an age of 'giants' or whatever term was used earlier to denote bands of the past.

And when one needs context of the life of the artist to enjoy their work, I'd argue you're venturing close to didacticism. As much as I revere their importance and enjoy their body of work as a whole, Joy Division are overrated in my opinion and the only reason I can see Closer giving one deeper appreciation for the band is because much of their work is, like Sonic Youth, too cold to penetrate and putting a face on the pain makes it more personal and approachable. It doesn't make it good art.

Love it or hate it, here's something totally brand spanking new. Genuinely new. I found it on Simon Reynolds' blog. Three cheers for viral pop!

Meet your future: South Africa's Die Antwoord.

"Die Antwoord" means "The Answer" in Afrikaans. The answer to what? "To whatever...f***..." sez lead rapper Ninja.

From Vice magazine:

Right. So, are you hip-hop or what?

Ninja: Ja we’re from the hip-hop family, but we do rap-rave next level shit. Die Antwoord started with my one homeboy, DJ Hi-Tek (shows tattoo on hand)—He’s got his own PC computer and he makes basically like phat rap-rave beats. I was checking out his shit, and we started making some beats, you know, next level shit. So then I was speaking to my homegirl Yo-Landi, you know she’s got some funk and super flavour, so we started with a kind of, like, 2Unlimited, C+C Music Factory kind of thing… but a bit more gangster, with a street edge. Then we found out you can put the songs for free on the interweb, no problem. Now the album’s pumping worldwide, like some next-level futuristic shit. Scotland, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Japan… In like, one second we’re in the overseas, it’s instant—like the matrix.

Umm, rave’s been a bit quiet lately.

Yo-Landi: It’s never been quiet in our homes.
Ninja: Here in South Africa the taxis play rave music fokken loud my bru. You can hear it from the next city when the taxi comes through, you hear DOOM DOOM DOOM—they gooi the rap-rave megamixes pumping like a nightclub. So my main inspiration is the taxis. The whole album is based on the sound it’s gonna make when it’s pumping through a taxi—It’s that high energy shit you can’t compare.
Yo-Landi: Our whole philosophy basically is, like, drive fast and play kak music loud. It’s a zef rap-rave jol, with lasers, smoke machines, 3D graphics, rappers… and everyone’s gonna be there.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Tags
*words just words
Back
Top Bottom