What songs do you associate with the seasons?

Inspired by another thread, discuss what songs and/or albums you strongly associate with one or another season, holiday, or special event (but let's not rehash this other thread).

For me, this time of year is inextricably linked with The Cure's Faith and Seventeen Seconds. Some of it has to do with when I first heard them, but it's more than that. I can't hear "A Forest" without thinking about trees that have no leaves (even though that would make it harder to wind up lost, all alone, wouldn't it?)

Winter is Björk weather, specifically Debut & Homogenic. Must be the Iceland thing. So is Viva Hate. Also Tori's Little Earthquakes, The Beatles' Beatles for Sale and Let it Be, Sinéad's The Lion and the Cobra. And, of course, Joy Division's Closer.

Kate Bush's Hounds of Love is a spring album, even "Under Ice." (I'm from the upper Midwest, so it's not that weird.) Same with The Queen is Dead.

Summer is, first and foremost, Marshall Crenshaw's self-titled debut, followed by Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The White Album, Pet Sounds, Lily Allen's Alright, Still, London Calling, and Prince's Sign 'o' the Times.

Ha - Anything and everything is open for most of the year...

However Jack Johnson, Jimmy Buffett and Sublime fast forward me straight to the month of June and July as I imagine myself on a beach watching the world go by, reaching every now and then into a cooler for a beer. Just like that corona commercial as I drift into Margaritaville watching those navigational buoys.

Last edited:
Winter:
-REM "Automatic for the People" (weird choice I guess, but I bought the album around X-Mas time of the year it was released and played the hell out of hit. I think I had it on repeat when I was decorating the tree that year and it's kind of engrained in me now that "Automatic for the People"=Christmas/Winter. To this day, I can't hear "Try Not To Breathe" without thinking of Christmas stuff.)
-The Smiths self-titled and "Strangeways....."
-Morrissey "Maladjusted" and "Viva Hate"
-NIN "The Fragile"

Spring:
Morrissey- "Vauxhall and I" and "Your Arsenal"
Pearl Jam- "10"
Smashing Pumpkins- "Siamese Dream"

Summer:
Jack Johnson- "Brushfire Fairytales"
Sublime- "40oz to Freedom"
G. Love and Special Sauce- Self-titled and "Yeah, It's That Easy"
Morrissey- "Bona Drag" and "Kill Uncle"

Fall:
Type O-Negative- "October Rust"
Morrissey- "Southpaw Grammar"
The Smiths- "The Queen is Dead"
Damien Dempsey- "Seize the Day"
Suede- self-titled

Inspired by another thread, discuss what songs and/or albums you strongly associate with one or another season, holiday, or special event (but let's not rehash this other thread).

For me, this time of year is inextricably linked with The Cure's Faith and Seventeen Seconds. Some of it has to do with when I first heard them, but it's more than that. I can't hear "A Forest" without thinking about trees that have no leaves (even though that would make it harder to wind up lost, all alone, wouldn't it?)

Winter is Björk weather, specifically Debut & Homogenic. Must be the Iceland thing. So is Viva Hate. Also Tori's Little Earthquakes, The Beatles' Beatles for Sale and Let it Be, Sinéad's The Lion and the Cobra. And, of course, Joy Division's Closer.

Kate Bush's Hounds of Love is a spring album, even "Under Ice." (I'm from the upper Midwest, so it's not that weird.) Same with The Queen is Dead.

Summer is, first and foremost, Marshall Crenshaw's self-titled debut, followed by Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The White Album, Pet Sounds, Lily Allen's Alright, Still, London Calling, and Prince's Sign 'o' the Times.
Interesting. For me, Hounds of love is winter, as that's when we go skating etc outside, and All About Eve's album Scarlet and Other Stories used to make me wintery too. The Beach Boys and quite a lot of Wham! is summer (excapt last Christmas) cheesy pop to listen to with the windows open! Dead Can Dance is autumn, I use their music a lot for meditations, and I always think of Samhain, and Ramones is spring. I went away with friends this spring, it was unbelievably warm for England, and we lazed outside our caravan in our bikinis with the Ramones blaring.

Ha - Anything and everything is open for most of the year...

However Jack Johnson, Jimmy Buffett and Sublime fast forward me straight to the month of June and July as I imagine myself on a beach watching the world go by, reaching every now and then into a cooler for a beer. Just like that corona commercial as I drift into Margaritaville watching those navigational buoys.

Totally agreed on Sublime. As for Buffett, well, I've never been one to wear leis and parrots on my hats.

Interesting. For me, Hounds of love is winter, as that's when we go skating etc outside...Dead Can Dance is autumn, I use their music a lot for meditations, and I always think of Samhain.

"Cloudbusting" and "Running Up that Hill" are what make me put Hounds of Love in the spring category.

Dead Can Dance is hard to categorize. Their Toward the Within live album is kinda wintery, Aion is rather spring-ish. The others don't evoke any seasons to me.

I wonder how influential album art, and when an album was released (I'm meticulous about putting release dates in my iTunes comments), are on my categorizations.

winter:
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes (the whole album)
Tori Amos - Under The Pink (especially Cornflake Girl)
Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill, Cloudbusting, and The Big Sky
Regina Spektor - Pound Of Flesh and all of Live At Bull Moose
Regina Spektor - Man Of A Thousand Faces
Joy Division - Disorder
The Smiths - Asleep, That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore

summer:
Violent Femmes - Blister In The Sun
Joanna Newsom - Book Of Right-On
The Smiths - self titled album and Louder Than Bombs
The Smiths - Ask (I discovered The Smiths during that season), I Know It's Over
Ani DiFranco - Both Hands
Morrissey - Late Night, Maudlin Street and all of Viva Hate