What Song(s) Is Best To Introduce Someone To The Smiths?

What song or songs would be best to introduce them to The Smiths? What do you all think?

Play them any song by any other band first. Then, when they've heard the rest, play them the best. Any song will do. You can't lose.

Play them any song by any other band first. Then, when they've heard the rest, play them the best. Any song will do. You can't lose.

The Smiths aren't the best band ever, IMO. Second best, maybe. But not best.

Thankyou everybody. I think i've going to go with How Soon Is Now and take it from there. I'll avoid the more 'Morrissey' ones, if you know what I mean. I'll keep you all updated on how it goes. :)

Strangely, "Seasick, Yet Still Docked" is the one that hooked me on Morrissey. It was a very short journey to loving The Smiths from there.

Handsome Devil
Jean
Back To the Old House
Girl Afraid
Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
How Soon Is Now?

Then tell them that those are the first six Smiths *b-sides*.

Hey there all. I'm a teenager and i'm in a band with two other friends. It's not a serious band, atleast not yet, and we all get on really well. We all like the same kind of music, though the main thing we share is a love of The Beatles. We all love the Beatles, they are all our favourite band. I love the Smiths (second favourite) and i've talked about The Smiths to them, so they want to listen to some of it. I've never known someone else who likes the Smiths, so it would be brilliant if they did. What song or songs would be best to introduce them to The Smiths? I was thinking How Soon Is Now but i'm not sure. What do you all think?

Start with Last Caress and then roll into We Are 138. Moz played a Halloween gig with the Misfits a couple years ago - so I think it'll work.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on what kind of singing style they like.
Bigmouth strikes again is usually a safe bet.
How soon is now? if they are one of those who might not like Moz's voice.

What difference does it make perhaps?

How soon is now?
Panic
Half a person
Bigmouth strikes again
I keep mine hidden
Shakespeare's sister
Death of a disco dancer
A rush and a push...
Stop me if you think...
What she said
Last night I dreamt...

Hey there all. I'm a teenager and i'm in a band with two other friends. It's not a serious band, atleast not yet, and we all get on really well. We all like the same kind of music, though the main thing we share is a love of The Beatles. We all love the Beatles, they are all our favourite band. I love the Smiths (second favourite) and i've talked about The Smiths to them, so they want to listen to some of it. I've never known someone else who likes the Smiths, so it would be brilliant if they did. What song or songs would be best to introduce them to The Smiths? I was thinking How Soon Is Now but i'm not sure. What do you all think?

I think it would be more interesting for you, and them, if you did not introduce them to The Smiths. Instead, let The Smiths influence the sound of your band only through your playing. Might make for a better dynamic.

there is a light and this charming man seem to be the consensus favorites... i'd go with those or just give them a copy of the singles compilation.

Anything from Louder Than Bombs.

I started with Sheila Take A Bow & the only person I've ever managed to convert to the ways of the Smith, I used Sweet & Tender Hooligan, Girl Afraid & Half A Person.

This Charming Man
William It was really nothing
I know its over
Still Ill
Some Girls are Bigger than Others
Big Mouth
Ask
There Is a Light
Cemetry Gates
Heaven Knows Im Miserable
Shoplifters Of the World

I think it would be more interesting for you, and them, if you did not introduce them to The Smiths. Instead, let The Smiths influence the sound of your band only through your playing. Might make for a better dynamic.

I think that's a brilliant idea, though I cannot yet play guitar (I'm having lessons) so I don't think I could quite master the art of writing a Smiths-esque song without using a guitar. If I could write something like Still Ill, i'd be the happiest person in the world. As I am mainly a piano player, the songs i've written so far for the band (We're working on the first one at the moment) are very influenced by the more piano-ey Smiths songs e.g. Oscillate Widly, A Rush and A Push and the Land Is Ours but my friend's guitar playing for the song does remind me of songs like Rubber Ring or even Frankly Mr. Shankly so I must be doing something right. :)

Give them a copy of Strangeways, Here We Come. If they don't fall in love with every song on that album, they will probably never become dedicated Smiths fans.

i got into the smiths through strangeways

and now i am really into morrissey's solo work

make of this what you will

welp see ya

I think that's a brilliant idea, though I cannot yet play guitar (I'm having lessons) so I don't think I could quite master the art of writing a Smiths-esque song without using a guitar. If I could write something like Still Ill, i'd be the happiest person in the world. As I am mainly a piano player, the songs i've written so far for the band (We're working on the first one at the moment) are very influenced by the more piano-ey Smiths songs e.g. Oscillate Widly, A Rush and A Push and the Land Is Ours but my friend's guitar playing for the song does remind me of songs like Rubber Ring or even Frankly Mr. Shankly so I must be doing something right. :)

Interesting! To my ears that sounds like you should be going more for a Radiohead vibe. I always have this sense that their stuff starts out as a demo featuring only guitar and piano. Although that's not exactly easy for beginners. :)

Maybe Belle and Sebastian, too.

Good luck!

O.K. Crack on the Head, here goes the almost ultimate Smiths introductory lust. Yes lust! After this lusting, in Morrissey you'll be trusting! drum roll please...

1. That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
2. The Boy With the Thorn In His Side
3. Stop Me, Stop Me, Stop Me
4. Paint a Vulgar Pucture
5. Panic
6. Shoplifters of the World.....
7. Stretch Out & Wait
8. Still Ill
9. You've Got Everything Now
10. How Soon Is Now

We have given you in our humble opinion a lusting of Smiths tunes you'll love after a listen. Buy The Smiths debut lp/cd and Strangeways Here We Come today, now actually. You won't be sorry and you'll never look back. What you may say is, What took me so long to listen? Morrissey, where have you been? Times tide will never smuther us....Never! " Because we must"m&d

Back
Top Bottom