What song do you prefer?

The problem with Heaven Knows is that it's spawned a million lazy headlines from hacks and hack editors everywhere.

Heaven

Jeane, without a doubt.....loved leggin it to the dance floor trying not to spill my drink when the intro started :D

'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' for me. It's one of my all-time favourites. One of the few Smiths/Morrissey songs that I used to enjoy listening to before I became a fan. 'Jeane' is great too though.

Heaven Knows. It has universal appeal thematicaly and lyrically (i.e. outside of fans). I also think it has a much better vocal melody. Both have excellent music though.

yip - as above. wish i could think of something insightful to say like that... but my brain is like mush right now (as usual)..

I really like Jeane though and HKIMN gets too much airplay.

In regards to the comments that 'Heaven Knows' gets too much air play... I don't think I've ever heard it on the radio before. The only Smiths songs that I ever hear are 'How Soon is Now?', 'This Charming Man', 'Panic' and, since the Ronson version went to no. 1, 'Stop Me'. I've also heard 'Shoplifters' and 'Boy with a Thorn' once, which I remember because I was so surprised that they weren't playing one of those other four songs (which, frankly, even I'm fed up of hearing on the radio).

HKIMN,the way he sings "job" sounds very english.Not how the americanised "i was looking for a jarb and then i found a jaaarrrb" would sound.dont ya think?

:guitar:

I just want to gobble him up in this video!

Last edited by a moderator:
Love them both but I think Jeane wins by a nose. There's an urgency, a desperation to it. It's very dramatic and conjures up images of mildew-ridden bedsits, motheaten curtains and old newspapers folded up and rammed under the door to keep the freezing cold out.

All in black and white of course.

Love them both but I think Jeane wins by a nose. There's an urgency, a desperation to it. It's very dramatic and conjures up images of mildew-ridden bedsits, motheaten curtains and old newspapers folded up and rammed under the door to keep the freezing cold out.

All in black and white of course.

CrookedLittleVein, your imagery is spot-on. :thumb: Although I adore both songs, I think I prefer Jeane, the reason being that the despair and disillusionment in it is more "raw" and less melodramatic than in HKIMN (though I really don't mean that as an insult, not by any stretch). And I think the harsher sound of Jeane makes the emotions evoked all the more poignant.

Back
Top Bottom