What song are you listening to right now?

Soul asylum - success is not so sweet

Every five to six months or so I obsess re obsess over this song. I love the way he sings some of these lines

The words:

Blood on the sidewalk
Washing down the drain
Rushing around the crime scene
To hide behind the stain
Hide behind the pain

Blue-colored lady
Black eye behind the shades
It's funny how the players
They can't survive the game
I'll survive the game

Rule maker, dream taker
Numbers on a sheet
The execution, the grand delusion
Success is not so sweet

Damaged for the first time
Who knew it'd be you?
You could try to save me
And I'll try to save you
Try to save you

Dealmaker, heartbreaker
Numbers on a sheet
The wild confusion, the strange delusion
Success is not so sweet
Success is not so sweet

You want a baby, I know you do
I'll be your baby
And I'll take care of you
I'll take care of you

Widow maker, deal-breaker
The blood runs down the street
The execution, conclusion
Success is not so sweet

Dream faker, pocket shaker
The numbers on a sheet
The execution, the institution
Success is not so sweet
Success is not so sweet
Success is not so sweet

So bummed gloss has broken up. They were awesome and will go down a minor hardcore legend. I posted theyre album here once trans day of revenge but it's probably not for this crowd honestly

Gloss - give violence a chance

Sorry morrissey but gloss says world peace is just another word for death. Let's give violence a chance

are they dead?
No world peace didn't kill them yet. It's mostly the idea that gay and trans people shouldn't be passive and the album is a violent fantasy of that crowd taking science to straight people and haters. They may have gone back to the future though it's hard to say. That's an inside joke but really they got offered a deal by epitaph records and turned it down as they didn't like who they partnered with or how they do business and then broke up makng a statement that basically said that there increasing popularity and profile was giving some members to much of a headache and kept them from being active in there community. That they made music for queer and trans people and didn't want a mainstream, even a smallish, following. They started getting covered by places like pitchfork etc and it just became to much. it's got echos of operation ivy's break up who also became respected legends in the scene despite rancid selling tons more albums

I like that. Read a bit about them on Wikipedia. Seems they all remain anonymous besides one person. Probably a larger audience would increase the pressure on them to unveal their identities.

I didn t even know that about there identities. It's not like a slipknot mask type situation though as there's plenty of photos and I think Sandie switchblade does some solo stuff. It'd be pretty easy if someone really wanted to identify them. I'm think it a statement that they didn't want that cult of personality surrounding them. A shame they're gone now though as they seemed like the real deal and were exciting in a scene that can often now at times feel pointless and just about making a career in music. Not a terrible thing but hardcore used to mean more than that

Here's a live show. You can probably guess who's having the trouble with being more known to strangers

"They told us we were girls!"

Rumor has it that it was the one who talked about being an anxious person and yeah it did look like a sweet show. I liked the way it started with the audience interaction participation

yes, they seemingly had put a lot of thought into it

I don't know it's probably how they started a lot of there shows with the group shouting. I wasn't referring to the speech but that was nice to. I just thought the shout along showed familiarity a community and comradery which are things I enjoy about shows of that nature. Same with the leaping into the crowd and not being accosted

i watched a bit more today and made it to the shoutings. i like that too, probably this one to one shouting is only possible in the smaller, more intimate venues. maybe that's also a reason why they split up, as the fanbase got too big for that live one to one interaction.

Could be and and would seem likely. In there statement they talked about the importance of community and how it felt weird for strangers to start having an influence in what they were doing. I don't know ill miss em and wish they had stayed around long enough to do one really solid debut album instead of two e.ps but oh well. It was nice to see another openly trans front women as well besides Laura Jane grace gain some popularity. I guess I've still got head wound city to listen to until the blood brothers egret off there asses and make another album

Tags
bon jovi emorama fatguyinalittlecoat rulz gr8 tags i have good taste i have terrible taste nugz luvs dmb nugz luvs phish post-count increaser r kellz lyk wut robby=follower she who has good taste this thread is toxic who nose yannisbad ydw an ipod
Back
Top Bottom