What song are you listening to right now?

There are better bands than the Stones, but I’m not sure I’ve seen one that looks quite as cool as they do here.

Morrissey - Certain People I Know

I think Morrissey on Later with Jools Holland would make a pretty good album if they compiled all of his appearances on the show.

Wow, they were good, weren't they?
Just thinking, with the different influences on Low in High-School, couldn't there be a Rockabilly song?
Boz can do those tricks sleepwalking but could Jesse?
Maybe next time? :thumb:

I always enjoy watching this video.
To me, they are one of the best bands to ever exist, and Brian Jones was just amazing, really...

I think I damned them with faint praise in my first post. There are better bands, as subjective and nigh on meaningless as that term might be, but they are right at the very pinnacle of rock music alongside the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Smiths, VU and so on.

I think I damned them with faint praise in my first post. There are better bands, as subjective and nigh on meaningless as that term might be, but they are right at the very pinnacle of rock music alongside the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Smiths, VU and so on.

The Beatles were something else. They were always a step ahead of everyone else. So I wouldn't put the Stones alongside them. I wouldn't put anyone alongside them tbh.

Just can't leave this one alone. I tell myself to avoid for fear of overdosing on the track. But I just don't care ... there's so much going on. The hard , abrupt , defiant guitaring ... then the plaintive reverb of the closing minutes ... and the articulation of a life failed. Just love this track and would give my right nut to hear it live ...

The sun is hot enough to burn the skin on your shoulders. Your cat chases lizards into the shadows beneath the brick steps. You smoke your cajillionith cigarette of the day.

You tiptoe to look over the walls of the courtyard. Old lawns stretch down into the street at the bottom of the hill.

There is , very faintly , a ring of blue mountains on the horizon but it hurts your eyes at midday to see them.

Last edited:
The Beatles were something else. They were always a step ahead of everyone else. So I wouldn't put the Stones alongside them. I wouldn't put anyone alongside them tbh.

The Beatles were special, and yes, I rate them at the top, but I think I probably listen to the Stones from around 1966 to 1974-ish more.

The Beatles became legends in a way the Stones with their longevity could not so maybe it is in part that. Also where a truly great band might have one iconic moment to their name the Beatles had the Cavern, Hamburg, Ed Sullivan, the Royal Variety Performance, Shea Stadium, Epstein’s Death, India and the Maharishi, Sgt. Pepper, Apple Corp, a pedestrian crossing, a white Rolls Royce, followed by bed-ins and maybe the most notorious murder of the 20th Century. In comparison the Stones have Altamont, a swimming pool and a Mars Bar.

By ending when they had nothing left to say, including to each other, the Beatles get captured in time, as indeed do the Smiths. The music becomes an artifact of that moment in history. They are as gone as gone can be. As gone as Henry VIII.

On the other hand the Beatles did not have a front man while, in Jagger, the Stones had/have arguably the greatest of them all. Nor did they need one.

Exactly the mystery and enigma that U2 lost some time ago . Patience and exploration were replaced 15 or so years ago by a lust for charts ... or rather , the latter completely engulfed the former.

It is truly the ultimate knee-popping , head-bobbing, acceleration. How the stars roll about in their universe and then pour themselves down into our sight.

Last edited:
Just can't leave this one alone. I tell myself to avoid for fear of overdosing on the track. But I just don't care ... there's so much going on. The hard , abrupt , defiant guitaring ... then the plaintive reverb of the closing minutes ... and the articulation of a life failed. Just love this track and would give my right nut to hear it live ...

Totally agree except for the nut. :)
By the way, just çurious, why the right one? o_O

Can't say ... didn't toss a coin or anything. I guess I just felt swept up by all the excitement of the song ... was all overcome by art and all that sort of thing ...

I know what you mean cause it is in my top 3 list of all time greatest songs Smiths and Moz. :)
But I guess you would want to hear it live done by the original band.
That ship has sailed, unfortunately.
By the way did you hear Alain Whyte testing out some new gear and doing some of the guitar lines of Southpaw?
Brilliant!
He posted it on his Facebook, I believe and uncleskinny shared it here at the site.
I'm not that good with providing a link but I think it is still available. :thumb:

Tags
bon jovi emorama fatguyinalittlecoat rulz gr8 tags i have good taste i have terrible taste nugz luvs dmb nugz luvs phish post-count increaser r kellz lyk wut robby=follower she who has good taste this thread is toxic who nose yannisbad ydw an ipod
Back
Top Bottom